@Riot Doesn't Steel Legion Lux go against everything you've said about skin design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ahriman1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

Jesus ****ing christ, can players stop trying to act like they wholly and completely understand the design thought processes?

I feel like I have a good idea, and yet I am never surprised when I think something and a designer from riot says something that is completely contrary to it. This is because design is not and can not be completely objective. Subjectivity and all of its flaws (and benefits) is a key component in design, which means that there is no chance in hell you can anticipate exactly what the design of league of legends will entail.

Here is what I gather from riot: they want to make their game the most fun that they possibly can, and be the most player focused company in the world. All other things take a back seat to that statement. If one of the design ideas that they put forth on the forums runs contrary to making a fun game, they will gladly disregard that design idea/philosophy.

I understand that you do not like the skin. Don't get the skin, say that you do not like the skin. Do not fallaciously cite inconsistencies with riot's design policy as if it is going to stop the lux skin from coming out, or turn it into your magical girl lux, it won't.

Rusty Leaves

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
i think you may be misrepresenting morello a bit here. i believe he said we wouldn't do a marisa kirisame skin. a magical girl is something else. :3

this is a little harder to speak to without you being able to play her in game with all of her changes. she has a new set of spell effects, along with some new animations and sound effects, that are really important to the theme and feel of the skin. once she's playable on the pbe, her theme will be much more clear—this isn't really a 'military' skin. if i had to give it a label, i'd say it's more like a 'function-over-form tech' skin, which is not a unheard of request for lux skins.

a point i'll totally concede to is that there are definitely lux players that desperately want another magical skin. i'm in that camp. it's not the touhou fan in me so much as it is that i think the 'spellthief' part of lux's background is really cool and has a ton of room to explore concepts relating to that, and i know others think so as well. that said, that doesn't mean there aren't desires for other types of lux skins from others. there are lux fans out there that have been waiting a long time for a skin like this.

if you want to know more about the concept itself you could probably bait ironstylus into chatting about it—iirc, this was one of his.
Thanks for the reply. I imagine all the awesome new animations and spell effects and sounds are super high quality and really sell the feel of the skin. The problem, however, is that no one was asking for this type of Lux skin, ever. Maybe Pulsefire Lux, but not heavily armored drab "badass" Lux. It's overdone on her, I don't want to see another skin with angry Lux, and as awesome as the effects may be, the fact remains that the model is bland and ugly and unfitting. Of course we want a Magical Girl Lux, or something like that, hell let's just call it Happy Lux, because we've been getting Mean Lux for two years. It is extremely frustrating.

I don't think I need to ask Iron Stylus why he would put Lux in knight armor (though maybe i should ask why it was Lux,) it's sort of his shtick. I guess I should have connected that this skin was his doing. Nevertheless, it is very disappointing from a Lux players' standpoint, we're probably going to have to wait another year for something better.

Circuit Bear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsong22 View Post
Maybe another Riot employee locked him in a box and forced him to do this.

Or maybe riot is sick of responding to threads who complain about anything not showing cleavage. Honestly, everything complained about lately is anything that is not a *** icon. And yes, use the military reasoning all you want. If you look at the examples people have given for people who should have military skins, the ones used don't make sense. Monsters can't really wear uniforms. Sorry.

TheForeverBean

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Pheonix View Post
"BUT LUX IS IN THE MILITARY!"

Are you freaking kidding me.

75% of the characters in this freaking game are "in the military."

Tristana is a gunner. She has, wait let me see, 0 Military skins.

Teemo is a field recon, he has, hmm, 1. Every single one of his other skins reflect his "cute" personality (but if you read the lore he doesn't actually have one, so the "Lux is not bubbly" point is moot. Neither is Teemo, but look at his skins."

Katarina is in the military. She has 1 actual military related skin.

Urgot's in the military. None of his skins are military related.

Galio is in the freaking Demacian military. How many actual military skins? 1

Corki is a military pilot, literally none of his skins tie him to the airforce that he flies for.

Sion is one of the most famous Noxian soldiers ever. 1 military skin.

Lux's lore refers to her being in the military once. THREE MILITARY SKINS FOR A CHARACTER WHO'S PERSONALITY DOESN'T FIT THE "MILITARY" PORTFOLIO, COMIN' RIGHT UP!
Riot, hire this man.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

12-08-2012
2 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsong22 View Post
You guys really need to consider moving on, having 4 skins continually with the same type of -robiticish- theme is going straight back into the fire and ice theme spam, specially with Vi coming out.
this is something we talk about internally. we want to be better about cadence when possible of course, but we also want to push ourselves to always explore those themes deeply—when we do them we want them to each be unique/special to the champion, and we want consistency there.

thanks for the feedback~

RavenHusky

12-08-2012

Why not take the animations and particles, and put them on a skin similar to her first two?

lunax3

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
i think you may be misrepresenting morello a bit here. i believe he said we wouldn't do a marisa kirisame skin. a magical girl is something else. :3

this is a little harder to speak to without you being able to play her in game with all of her changes. she has a new set of spell effects, along with some new animations and sound effects, that are really important to the theme and feel of the skin. once she's playable on the pbe, her theme will be much more clear—this isn't really a 'military' skin. if i had to give it a label, i'd say it's more like a 'function-over-form tech' skin, which is not a unheard of request for lux skins.

a point i'll totally concede to is that there are definitely lux players that desperately want another magical skin. i'm in that camp. it's not the touhou fan in me so much as it is that i think the 'spellthief' part of lux's background is really cool and has a ton of room to explore concepts relating to that, and i know others think so as well. that said, that doesn't mean there aren't desires for other types of lux skins from others. there are lux fans out there that have been waiting a long time for a skin like this.

if you want to know more about the concept itself you could probably bait ironstylus into chatting about it—iirc, this was one of his.

fav rioter :3

Queso Queen

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEpistle View Post
Or maybe riot is sick of responding to threads who complain about anything not showing cleavage. Honestly, everything complained about lately is anything that is not a *** icon. And yes, use the military reasoning all you want. If you look at the examples people have given for people who should have military skins, the ones used don't make sense. Monsters can't really wear uniforms. Sorry.
Funny how you automatically throw me into a box thinking I want a sexy Lux skin, maybe you should go back and re read the post I stated earlier about a kick ass battle Lux not fitting the personality she portrays of a fun, bubbling, YOUNGER SISTER.

I never stated I wanted Lux in a bikini, in a night gown (although, now that I think of it, Lux in a footie pj's carrying around a bear would be cute) and trying to use the *** card just really threw your case out the window.

Darius would look bad ass in heavily armored gear (obviously) for example. There are MANY other characters whos personality -screams- loves to beat the **** out of you, Lux's on the other hand does not.

michelada

12-08-2012

so well another horrible skin for lux that some ppl will buy but at the end every1 will go back to spellthief .

Mirror

12-08-2012

I'm kind of okay with Lux getting a third Commando skin - the way she fires her cannon is very...Jayce. It's cool.

I was only disappointed to read the list of champions getting skins for Christmas and to roll in 2013. Ziggs was probably the only legitimate surprise. You know, Kat has 27 skins, Veigar has 11, and Fiddlesticks has like 8.