@Riot Doesn't Steel Legion Lux go against everything you've said about skin design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Endertome

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
i think you may be misrepresenting morello a bit here. i believe he said we wouldn't do a marisa kirisame skin. a magical girl is something else. :3
This is incredibly disappointing to hear, especially considering he completely misinterpreted the Witchcraft Lux thread and told me "just buy Sorceress" without realizing at all what I was proposing.

tiffybear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

Quote:
if you want to know more about the concept itself you could probably bait ironstylus into chatting about it—iirc, this was one of his.
If that were true it'd be called Leona Legion Lux or something, I don't buy it.

Circuit Bear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria Pisces View Post
It's not fitting to her character, it's overdone on her in particular and it isn't a legendary.

She's a bubbly rainbow shooting light mage. Okay. Her two initial skins at least tried to capture this personality, and Spellthief is her undisputed best skin. Then Commando came out to give her that "grrr badass" edge, as well as fit alongside the Demacian theme. Cool, I mean it was bad, but you were branching out. To make up for it, she got another cold, militaristic skin, with the angry furrowed brows and badass stance. Better, but at that point both her skins were fairly similar in theme, and let's be honest, only a small fraction of Lux players prefer either of those over Spellthief.

Fast forward a year later, and she gets yet another gritty military looking skin. Why is this? I am actually a little befuddled and would like an answer here. Morello himself denied us the Magical Girl Lux skin, because it was too similar to Sorceress. Then this comes out, is this skin not too similar to Commando and Imperial?

Skins are supposed to explore ideas beyond the champion, each skin should be treading new ground for the character and provide a wealth of options that will appeal to many players' tastes, while also retaining the characters core feeling. An example I like to use is Ziggs. You guys do fantastic work with him, all of his skins are great, different, and retain that Ziggs core feeling. Lux has had two of these hardcore/edgy skins, neither of which were praised. Steel Legion does not fit Lux's character thematically any more than it did before, and frankly I don't understand why you keep pushing for it. She's not an enigma in design, she's cute, blonde, shoots light, and is insanely positive - how hard is it to build a skin around that? The community has certainly given you all a wealth of ideas.

The justification for this new Steel Legion Lux seems to be her new animations. I'll admit, they are snazzy, but say you put that recall and attack animation on Imperial, it would look perfectly at home because it's too similar. Her actual skin model itself is really clunky and gross and bland, just gonna be frank. It goes from black pants to metal armor, whoa, inspired. As far as I can tell her light hasn't gotten any new particle effects, it probably has, but I can't be certain atm.

So, let's go over this. The new skin for Lux is very similar to two she already has (which Morello said is a no-no,) none of them fit her core personalty, and it is NOT a legendary skin, which is basically Riot's excuse for going completely insane on a champion's theme. I don't get it, it doesn't make sense that this skin was made and pushed through and accepted as a quality skin for Lux. I am respectfully asking for an artist or skin designer or someone to shed some light on the thought process behind Steel Legion Lux, because no matter how I turn it I cannot fathom why it was made. Two years to learn, two years to get ideas from the community, create and imagine, and yet two years of these same skins.

Honestly this just proves you never actually read and interpreted what Morello said at all. He said the elements of a skin have to fit the skin. I would use a programming analogy but I assume you wouldn't get it. Simply put, if something of the skin doesn't fit the skin theme, its not going to fly. Not, if the skin does not fit the character, the skin doesn't fly. EX: Gentleman chogath.

Honestly, stop posting about something if you don't actually read what they are saying.

notanxj9smurf

12-08-2012

Quote:
i think you may be misrepresenting morello a bit here. i believe he said we wouldn't do a marisa kirisame skin. a magical girl is something else. :3

this is a little harder to speak to without you being able to play her in game with all of her changes. she has a new set of spell effects, along with some new animations and sound effects, that are really important to the theme and feel of the skin. once she's playable on the pbe, her theme will be much more clear—this isn't really a 'military' skin. if i had to give it a label, i'd say it's more like a 'function-over-form tech' skin, which is not a unheard of request for lux skins.

a point i'll totally concede to is that there are definitely lux players that desperately want another magical skin. i'm in that camp. it's not the touhou fan in me so much as it is that i think the 'spellthief' part of lux's background is really cool and has a ton of room to explore concepts relating to that, and i know others think so as well. that said, that doesn't mean there aren't desires for other types of lux skins from others. there are lux fans out there that have been waiting a long time for a skin like this.

if you want to know more about the concept itself you could probably bait ironstylus into chatting about it—iirc, this was one of his.
so basically another 1350 skin?

one that most everyone on this forum doesn't seem to want?

Queso Queen

12-08-2012

Thanks for your post ricklessabandon,

I will point out though that, like I told parrot lastnight, this is yet again -another- robotic/futuristic theme skin.

You guys really need to consider moving on, having 4 skins continually with the same type of -robiticish- theme is going straight back into the fire and ice theme spam, specially with Vi coming out.

However I do still stand by my previous post on this matter.

Blues

12-08-2012

Quote:

And I'm suddenly sad.
Thanks.

Anyway, tired of seeing her in armor. That Hextech concept that has been flying around forever looked amazing. What was wrong with it?

saintbookman

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Let me clarify;

The skin doesn't have to be thematically consistent to the character.

Elements of a skin need to be consistent to the theme of the skin.
I think the fact that military Lux doesn't fit Lux doesn't matter.

for me personally I don't like either her commando skin, or her imperial skin, and I think there is enough of a distinction here, that another militaristic type skin isn't a bad thing. This skin actually appeals to me, and I would consider it 100 times over either her imperial or commando skin. I hope Riot keeps it.

OlmStranger

12-08-2012

I'm thinking back to the Pulsefire Ezreal pre-release times... And how many people cried out for a PF Lux skin.

THIS is the skin to fill that spot. I'm looking forward to it.

LaCorpse

12-08-2012

Quote:

this is a little harder to speak to without you being able to play her in game with all of her changes. she has a new set of spell effects, along with some new animations and sound effects, that are really important to the theme and feel of the skin. once she's playable on the pbe, her theme will be much more clear—this isn't really a 'military' skin. if i had to give it a label, i'd say it's more like a 'function-over-form tech' skin, which is not a unheard of request for lux skins.

a point i'll totally concede to is that there are definitely lux players that desperately want another magical skin. i'm in that camp. it's not the touhou fan in me so much as it is that i think the 'spellthief' part of lux's background is really cool and has a ton of room to explore concepts relating to that, and i know others think so as well. that said, that doesn't mean there aren't desires for other types of lux skins from others. there are lux fans out there that have been waiting a long time for a skin like this.

I can understand that but why make another heavy armoured Lux after making two already that were big busts? The only reason why people will buy this is because of the new effects, no necessarily because they love it, but because its something new. Its still a bad idea.

Circuit Bear

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Pheonix View Post
"BUT LUX IS IN THE MILITARY!"

Are you freaking kidding me.

75% of the characters in this freaking game are "in the military."

Tristana is a gunner. She has, wait let me see, 1 Military skins. Guerilla Skin, look up definition of Guerilla warfare.

Teemo is a field recon, he has, hmm, 1. Every single one of his other skins reflect his "cute" personality (but if you read the lore he doesn't actually have one, so the "Lux is not bubbly" point is moot. Neither is Teemo, but look at his skins."

Katarina is in the military. She has 2 actual military related skin. Mercenary, high command.

Urgot's in the military. None of his skins are military related. Because he is undead and is half cyborg. Butcher and Mecha are pretty close to military though in theme. Expecially since Steel Legion and Mecha are on the same theme.

Galio is in the freaking Demacian military. How many actual military skins? 1. He is a freaking Gargoyle, what do you want, him dressed up in a navy, air force and marines uniform?

Corki is a military pilot, literally none of his skins tie him to the airforce that he flies for. skins are noncanon, said multiple times, so Red Baron.

Sion is one of the most famous Noxian soldiers ever. 1 military skin. Once again, undead, what do you want. Him in every uniform type?

Lux's lore refers to her being in the military once. THREE MILITARY SKINS FOR A CHARACTER WHO'S PERSONALITY DOESN'T FIT THE "MILITARY" PORTFOLIO, COMIN' RIGHT UP!
Corrected.