@Riot Doesn't Steel Legion Lux go against everything you've said about skin design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rustly Leafs

12-08-2012

It's not fitting to her character, it's overdone on her in particular and it isn't a legendary.

She's a bubbly rainbow shooting light mage. Okay. Her two initial skins at least tried to capture this personality, and Spellthief is her undisputed best skin. Then Commando came out to give her that "grrr badass" edge, as well as fit alongside the Demacian theme. Cool, I mean it was bad, but you were branching out. To make up for it, she got another cold, militaristic skin, with the angry furrowed brows and badass stance. Better, but at that point both her skins were fairly similar in theme, and let's be honest, only a small fraction of Lux players prefer either of those over Spellthief.

Fast forward a year later, and she gets yet another gritty military looking skin. Why is this? I am actually a little befuddled and would like an answer here. Morello himself denied us the Magical Girl Lux skin, because it was too similar to Sorceress. Then this comes out, is this skin not too similar to Commando and Imperial?

Skins are supposed to explore ideas beyond the champion, each skin should be treading new ground for the character and provide a wealth of options that will appeal to many players' tastes, while also retaining the characters core feeling. An example I like to use is Ziggs. You guys do fantastic work with him, all of his skins are great, different, and retain that Ziggs core feeling. Lux has had two of these hardcore/edgy skins, neither of which were praised. Steel Legion does not fit Lux's character thematically any more than it did before, and frankly I don't understand why you keep pushing for it. She's not an enigma in design, she's cute, blonde, shoots light, and is insanely positive - how hard is it to build a skin around that? The community has certainly given you all a wealth of ideas.

The justification for this new Steel Legion Lux seems to be her new animations. I'll admit, they are snazzy, but say you put that recall and attack animation on Imperial, it would look perfectly at home because it's too similar. Her actual skin model itself is really clunky and gross and bland, just gonna be frank. It goes from black pants to metal armor, whoa, inspired. As far as I can tell her light hasn't gotten any new particle effects, it probably has, but I can't be certain atm.

So, let's go over this. The new skin for Lux is very similar to two she already has (which Morello said is a no-no,) none of them fit her core personalty, and it is NOT a legendary skin, which is basically Riot's excuse for going completely insane on a champion's theme. I don't get it, it doesn't make sense that this skin was made and pushed through and accepted as a quality skin for Lux. I am respectfully asking for an artist or skin designer or someone to shed some light on the thought process behind Steel Legion Lux, because no matter how I turn it I cannot fathom why it was made. Two years to learn, two years to get ideas from the community, create and imagine, and yet two years of these same skins.

Fiskerton

12-08-2012

actually, military skins fits her character well. if you read her lore, you'll find she's a top ranking member of the demacian military as a stealth operative, not really a member of any magic academy. a spellcaster themed skin would suit her less in terms of canon than a military uniform. her personality really has nothing to do with her occupation. if anything, typecasting her into a bubbly cheerleader is a bigger waste because you can just use her original skin for that

the steel legion skin is probably riot's one more attempt at a good military lux because, as you clearly point out, the last two sucked

SlumlordThanatos

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Fero View Post
actually, military skins fits her character well. if you read her lore, you'll find she's a top ranking member of the demacian military as a stealth operative, not really a member of any magic academy. a spellcaster themed skin would suit her less in terms of canon than a military uniform. her personality really has nothing to do with her occupation. if anything, typecasting her into a bubbly cheerleader is a bigger waste because you can just use her original skin for that

the steel legion skin is probably riot's one more attempt at a good military lux because, as you clearly point out, the last two sucked
I'm not against an armored Lux skin, but this one, like the last two, don't exactly mesh with the light-shooting little girl. Couldn't they maybe give her some armor that isn't olive drab or gun-metal grey?

Endertome

12-08-2012

Quote:

Please explain to me why a covert ops mage who specializes in infiltration would wear a heavy, noisy suit of full plate armor.

If you want to push Lux's military angle, she needs to be quiet and light on her feet. Imperial and Commando accomplish this adequately. Imperial actually looks like it could be her dress uniform.

But a big, clunky, noisy, heavy suit of full plate armor? On an infiltrator? Whose entire job revolves around being undetectable?

Tsubakixv

12-08-2012

Lux is not a "bubbly little girl" I think you need to read up on her lore first. Therefore those types of skins don't fit her at all. Though it is odd Riot doesn't cash in on fan service since they seem to do it with just about every other female character.

SlumlordThanatos

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubakixv View Post
Lux is not a "bubbly little girl" I think you need to read up on her lore first. Therefore those types of skins don't fit her at all.
I read her lore, then I went and played a match with her. I think the "bubbly little girl" shtick is still there.

Maelstrom Flashe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubakixv View Post
Lux is not a "bubbly little girl" I think you need to read up on her lore first. Therefore those types of skins don't fit her at all. Though it is odd Riot doesn't cash in on fan service since they seem to do it with just about every other female character.
Have you heard Lux's laugh?

Fiskerton

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endertome View Post
Please explain to me how a covert ops mage who specializes in infiltration would wear a heavy, noisy suit of full plate armor.

If you want to push Lux's military angle, she needs to be quiet and light on her feet. Imperial and Commando accomplish this adequately. Imperial actually looks like it could be her dress uniform.

But a heavy, clunky, noisy, heavy suit of full plate armor? On an infiltrator? Whose entire job revolves around being undetectable?
I honestly don't think that armor is clunky or noisy... if you want clunky and noisy then you look more towards a jarvan/darius ensemble. it also stands to reason that even the scouts of the army need armor or how will they survive any sort of attack? even ninjas of ancient japan had armor

Pomf Skweezy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

I hate it when people say **** like this, but there are a great deal of champions who still haven't had a new skin since release.

So Lux got a new skin and Lux players, surprise, don't like it. Meanwhile, Trundle and Udyr...

SlumlordThanatos

12-08-2012

Quote:
I honestly don't think that armor is clunky or noisy... if you want clunky and noisy then you look more towards a jarvan/darius ensemble. it also stands to reason that even the scouts of the army need armor or how will they survive any sort of attack? even ninjas of ancient japan had armor
This isn't a good analogy to compare the two. It's not like ninjas did their thing wearing plate armor.