Champion Auditions - Nami, the Tidecaller

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask The Mermaid

12-14-2012

((Sorry for the late response. I had posted earlier in the morning, but I don't suppose it posted and I haven't had a chance to check since it's finals week. In any case, hope I'm not too late)

Story:

“Last one home’s a spoiled hoki~” teased a playful voice, as it flashed through the dark and enchanted waters.

“W-wait up! Na-Na! Waaaaaaaaait!” responded a younger and very panicked voice.

Nami could only smile to herself as she stopped her gliding to wait for the younger marai. Despite being her hunting pair for many moon cycles, Kieru still could not overcome his overwhelming fear of being alone in the deeps. The elders had hoped that by putting the two together, that Kieru’s timidness would calm Nami’s wild spirit and that Nami would likewise help Kieru out of his fearful shell. Instead, because she had a partner, she became more zealous in her adventures, pulling along an ever-reluctant Kieru each time.

“Come on, we need to get all of this food back! We’re going to miss the Song of Serenity,” she urged excitedly over her shoulder as the two swam closer to their home.

Kieru was her polar opposite in almost every way, but perhaps that is why he is so dear to her; he kept her balanced and was a reminder that they were all tied together- that everyone is family, no matter how different. It was a peaceful thought and it let her mind wander to the coming ceremony. The song was her favorite part in welcoming a new moon. The Kami singers surrounding the moonstone’s radiance, intensified by hundreds of floating enchanted ice crystals...their surreal voices relegating the stone’s legend and acquisition... It was in those moments that she knew that no matter what, she and everyone she cared about...Kieru...were going to be safe in the light’s pale glow. The sense of security and happiness elated her heart and she could not help but let out an enthusiastic laugh as Kieru smiled and swam right beside her.

Panic. Fear. These were not emotions that Nami is accustomed to feeling and yet they were there, boring into her, threatening to constrict every fiber of her being if she were to stop for even one moment.

Moonstone, please...just please...

Her mind rushed as quickly as her tail tread the water around her- the memories shot by in fragments: She and Kieru were at the lunar ceremony just a cycle before. It was a new moon then and the moonstone’s light is strongest on such nights, but something was wrong. In the middle of the Song of Serenity, the moonstone’s light waned- almost flickered. An elder stepped forth. The Tidecaller’s time has arrived, but where is the Tidecaller? The following days, monstrosities began to abduct hunting pairs and mutilated remains were all that were found. Her heart screamed at her to not think. The elders told her to not leave the safety of the moonstone’s glow, but how could she listen? Their words replayed in her mind: There is no hope for one who leaves the light’s safety. All that we can do is wait for the Tidercaller.

Where is the Tidecaller now? she asked in anguish, when she noticed a figure resting on a rock formation in the distance. She propelled herself forward, begging the ocean’s mercy.

It was Kieru. He was breathing. Hope fluttered in her heart until she noticed that his body was in an impossible position.

“Kieru...hey...Kieru...let’s get you back home...” she gently whispered as her voice quaked with fear and pain. His eyes slowly opened and he gave her a small smile.

“...I tried to be brave like you...you showed me so much...” he responded weakly. Nami’s heart wrenched and she could not keep her composure.

“YOU CAN’T DIE! You have to come back with me! WHY did you go? WHY did you go without me? I...I could have saved you...” she blurted, pain contorting her delicate features.

“I just...wanted...to help...keep you safe...” His voice trailed off as his chest stopped rising. Nami held his head in her arms and her body shook, yet no tears would come; the marai cannot cry. She finally found her voice and with it, she let out all of her pain and anguish in the most bone-chilling scream, echoing long after she had left to find an abyssal pearl in her friend’s place.

Interview:

Ram Steed: Greetings and welcome to this edition of Ram Steed’s Traveling Deeds! Today, we are going on location to the local shoreline and paying a visit to the Field of Justice’s newest champion...Nami, the Tidercaller! She’s beautiful...she’s alluring...and she’s come from the depths of the ocean and right into this interview for this exclusive insider look on what it takes to be a mermaid! Tell me, how are you on this fine day?

Nami: Smiling softly and sizing up her interviewer, she responds. Thanks for the compliment, but it’s pronounced ‘marai’. And I’m alright~

Ram Steed: Oh yes, you see, up here, we know of your people as merfolk and as such, you are a mermaid. That said, can you tell our readers more about the marai then?

Nami: Her smile becomes a little sad. We are a group of people who live in the depths of the ocean. We’re peaceful and are excellent hunters. At the moment, we are in dire need of a special stone, called a moonstone, and our people’s survival depends upon it. We have lost...many...due the waning of the current moonstone’s light. I am the one destined to search for this stone.

Ram Steed: And a heavy duty it must be for such a dainty little thing that you are!

Nami: She raises an eyebrow and splashes her tail against the water nonchalantly. I’m not dainty, but perhaps you might want to test my mettle against yourself? Or are you afraid of being washed away?

Ram Steed: Ha ha...I am but a humble journalist. I do not think I have much to offer unless it’s a fight with words! However, there are other champions that may be more fit for such a task? How do you feel about going against a champion such as Fizz? Or perhaps Nautilus?

Nami: New as I am, I have not spent much time with many other champions. Of Fizz, I have only met him in passing when he came to gank my lane. I’d really like to spend some time with his shark though; I sense that there is much he would like to discuss, especially in regards to what Fizz has been feeding him. Urgot does not seem to be a very healthy shark food. I know nothing of Nautilus, but am glad that the ocean has given him new life. We are all tied to the ocean, after all.

Ram Steed: Excellent insight for our readers, but now comes the question we have all been wondering: what of your connection to the champion, Diana?

Nami: Her face becomes more serious and she sits up a little straighter. Diana...she is the reason that my journey has led me to the Institute of War. I have heard that her power comes from the moon and my greatest clue as to where I might find a moonstone. Unfortunately, she is highly-favored by summoners and seems to never be available for discussion. I’m still determined to meet with her and will wait for as long as I must. My people are relying on my success.

Ram Steed: Mysterious and eventful indeed! On the flip side, what are your thoughts on Leona then? The sun is after all, the moon’s primary light?

Nami: She looks pensive and carefully responds. The moon may reflect the sun’s light, but the moon controls the tides. Leona, as a champion, is respectable for her spirit to defend the weak. As for her association, I don’t have much to say as the sun is simply not there for the marai where the moon is.

Ram Steed: That was very deep and an appreciated response. Well, that’s all the time we have for this edition of Ram Steed’s Traveling Deeds. Nami, you will have to keep me updated on the progress of your exchanges with Diana, as I and the readers surely hope on your success and your people’s continued survival!

Nami: She smiles brightly for the first time since the interview began. Thank you for the well wishes. Good bye~

Iron Ambássador

12-14-2012

Uhh, you are a bit late. The audition ended yesterday and the voting thread is already up.

Ask The Mermaid

12-14-2012

It's alright then :] I thought I had posted earlier in the morning, but I guess I didn't. Best of wishes to the other 2 Namis then. Cheers~

Ryugi Kazamaru

12-14-2012

I'm afraid Poppy is right. The deadline was a while ago. DX

Ask the Herald

12-14-2012

Hey!

You know how these forums can royally **** your **** up and eat your posts! Why don't you just make an exception here?!

Bright Oblivion

12-14-2012

Because we're already in the process of voting, the rules were clear, and the deadlines specific (mostly). If you make one exception, people will clamor for it next time. While I mean no disrespect to Ask the Mermaid, a deadline is a deadline. And, unless "this morning" was before 12 am forum time (over 24 hours ago), it would have still been too late, even if the forum hadn't eaten it.

Apologies, Mermaid.

Ask the Herald

12-14-2012

Well that sucks.

Maybe you'll know better next time you want to audition for a champion.

Ask The Mermaid

12-14-2012

@Ask the Herald: You're very kind and sweet for trying, but as it stands, everyone is correct- my actual posting is late. I'm new to the RP forums on LoL, so perhaps with this experience, I'd have better luck next time :]

@Bright Oblivion: My first posting was made about 20 hours before the deadline, so yes it would've been on time :] Regardless, no hard feelings, especially since I am now free from finals. Yay~