Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Question about Kat

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TmrwLand

12-07-2012

Was just wondering, is Kat a great apc or does she mostly clean up well? I was just wondering because I wanted to know if it would even be worth the time to learn her

Je Vous Merde

12-07-2012

Shes good when played well. You can be super aggressive against squishy AP mids if they dont have good CC. And you can dish out a ton of damage in teamfights and since her passive reduces cd if enemies are killed you can ult 2+ times in a winning teamfight.

Just make sure to be aggressive early game and try to bully with q and shunpo to them and w, huge burst early, You need to be careful though as she is pretty easy to gank if her e is down. But I love to play kat it's really fun.

first time Vayne

12-07-2012

She's definitely a good AP carry, but only if you get a little ahead. And it helps to have a somewhat tanky team so that you can hang back before you join the fight.

Her power is in the early game right after she gets her ult, so go roam every time your ult is up, which is frequently.

Also, remember that AD scales insanely well on your ult. A BF sword gives something like 135 damage alone... It's nasty.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-07-2012

Katarina is stronk.

first time Vayne

12-08-2012

Quote:
PogoPogoPogoPogo:
Katarina is stronk.

^ This.

Talking to shycadet again, the thing that makes Katarina so strong in games is not her ulti, as people tend to think. <-- This is why I enjoy playing her against "counters" like Diana and Cho'Gath.

The thing that makes Katarina so strong is her passive (kills and assists decrease all cooldowns by 15 seconds, instantly refreshing her basic abilities). That's the key to her ability to quickly end a team fight once it reaches a certain level of completion (cleaning up, as the OP said). She waits for one person on the enemy team to reach a killably low level of health, and then she jumps in and bursts him down. Her ulti burst brings two other people low, so she jumps to each of them and kills them. In the process, her Q and W do enough aoe damage to bring others low, and the chain repeats until everyone is DEAD.

I can't tell you how many times I've told my team to get bot lane kinda low and then push and act like tards. The enemy jungler comes to help his laners, as usual, and they all get comfy under their turret. I wait for the right moment to flash over the wall and then shunpo around killing all three, and we leave with a 3/0 trade and a slightly more fed hyper carry.

And then I go top. Damn, Katarina is fun... haha

Mamie Jeadows

12-08-2012

If your team doesn't give you kills, then the first couple of kills you should be getting are killsteals, then you can start owning everyone and snowballing. Once you've played her enough and depending on the matchup you should be able to dominate your lane.

Drakojan

12-08-2012

Quote:
anAmishLady:
^ This.

Talking to shycadet again, the thing that makes Katarina so strong in games is not her ulti, as people tend to think. &lt;-- This is why I enjoy playing her against &quot;counters&quot; like Diana and Cho'Gath.

The thing that makes Katarina so strong is her passive (kills and assists decrease all cooldowns by 15 seconds, instantly refreshing her basic abilities). That's the key to her ability to quickly end a team fight once it reaches a certain level of completion (cleaning up, as the OP said). She waits for one person on the enemy team to reach a killably low level of health, and then she jumps in and bursts him down. Her ulti burst brings two other people low, so she jumps to each of them and kills them. In the process, her Q and W do enough aoe damage to bring others low, and the chain repeats until everyone is DEAD.

I can't tell you how many times I've told my team to get bot lane kinda low and then push and act like tards. The enemy jungler comes to help his laners, as usual, and they all get comfy under their turret. I wait for the right moment to flash over the wall and then shunpo around killing all three, and we leave with a 3/0 trade and a slightly more fed hyper carry.

And then I go top. Damn, Katarina is fun... haha

Well. You've given me a new playstyle. Thanks! Quick question, when the enemy mid is going to another lane, do I call mia and push their tower, or do I follow them? I usually push then ambush them on their way back.

TmrwLand

12-08-2012

Thank you for the Posts. I just got Kat, was kinda reluctant because she is over played, and I just can't seem to get her down. I'm used to the heavy amounts of burst Fizz gives in early level.

first time Vayne

12-08-2012

Quote:
Drakojan:
Well. You've given me a new playstyle. Thanks! Quick question, when the enemy mid is going to another lane, do I call mia and push their tower, or do I follow them? I usually push then ambush them on their way back.

Thanks!

To answer your question, it depends. I usually pop one QEW combo on the minion wave for good measure regardless, just to ensure it pushes away, but you don't want to sit there pushing for too long. Kat is about roaming and ganking, so your choices become 1) follow, or 2) go the other way to gank. If the lane my mid is headed to looks like they will be ok (wards up, jungler present, high health, etc.), then I usually go gank the vulnerable other lane. If my lane looks like it needs the help, then I countergank it, entering the fight after everyone has committed.

When ganking either way, you may or may not want your opponents to know your movements. If your presence is intimidating, you can use that. Sometimes when I'm scary and fed, I'll message in all chat something like "If you leave this lane, Ryze, I will kill bot. Try me." As long as you follow through, you own him. And once you've scared them with that a couple times, you can announce your movements and their team will respond. I've stopped tower pushes with threats before, and I was backing at the time... haha That sh*t works. Otherwise, take measures to conceal your movements. Kat appreciates the element of surprise.

And I should add that I actually seldom play a match as Kat where I take mid turret first. I get to roaming so much that the minions or enemies tend to get mine . :/ But it doesn't matter if I score kills for myself or my team and take the outside turrets. We usually take the mid tower after those once I'm all good and fed. :}

Beef All The Way

12-08-2012

kat doesnt work well against A: anyone with massive hp B: anyone with massive AD C: teams with tons of hard cc

a fun tequnique to see if your team will win team fights (as a rule of thumb subjext ot skills) is take
Group stun = 5
Fling = 4
group slow = 4
Single target stun = 3
single target slow = 2
Immobilze Group = 2
Immobilize Single = 1

add your teams and enemy teams up and that tells you (roughly) who has the better cc for team fights.