A fundamental flaw, and solution to Draft Pick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

abombizzle

12-08-2012

I'm sure we have all experienced it, a draft pick where stubborn people or children, absolutely refuse to cooperate with roles. Some hail to the pick order laws, and others to the call order laws, and each individual pathetically attempts to interpret the summoners code to appease their arguments.

Ultimately however nothing gets resolved and the game begins with two players filling the mid role, two jungles and a support, and as expected the game goes disastrously wrong. It is an unfortunate fact but this problem is becoming prevalent enough so that I and many of the people I play with absolutely refuse to play during the daytime.

So it is my goal to beg RIOT to make a fundamental change in draft pick, which I hope is a simple solution to a frustrating problem.

It begins immediately after you select your game type, an extra window asks you what roles you want to play (top, mid, jungle, ad bot, or support), you select your roles, and shortly after the matchmaking Que comes up and asks you if you want to accept the match for ONE of your selected roles. Then during the champion select screen, riot gives us an extra 20 seconds to strategize, and figure out who is trading champions in order to avoid a counter pic, additionally it would even provide a trade button for trading roles, which is marked on the summoner box by an icon.

This would be much better than the current system, because it would eliminate much the early game combativeness, and promote team work and strategy from the very start. Now I do understand that this system would probably still get trolled now and again, but I believe that the frequency would decrease drastically, it would also provide valid grounds for a report based off misconduct at champion select.

This Nonsense has gone on far too long, and a change is desperately needed to this process. if you agree lets work to get this post heard by Devs.

Vesuvias

12-08-2012

Unfortunately your inability to adjust your meta to new strategies or ideas is the problem.

Example: Promote was removed because it allowed people to abuse lanes early game. It was OP. But people like you probably dodged queue if you saw a summoner select it because it didn't fall into your preferred roles in meta. Pusher is a valid strategy and role. It is not a popular one, nor one that many people know how to support, but that doesn't make it any less of a valid or vital role.

Riot has, on several occasions, tried to create a more aggressive game. Even in this latest patch, the traditional roles of Support and ADC bot, AP mid, Tanky Ad top, Bruiser / tank jungle have been challenged by Riot.

As for your examples: I have seen a double jungle / invade completely go wrong, and I have seen it work. (More work than not) If you, as a teammate are unable to break to the jungle to assist, you are failing them, not the other way around. Be flexible, and pay attention to the Mini.

Two mid? I took ziggs once with a swain mid and we pushed it all the way to base in less than 15 min. Their jungle couldn't dive in because we harassed their mid to much for them to help, and he couldn't run us down due to CC, slows, and satchel. Me and swain then broke to the other lanes and crushed those too. They surrendered at 22min in.

Support? Solo? They just made a support who can solo mid. (Really) Sona and Soraka used to solo all the time. The support has to adjust their build, and the jungle has to gank, but it works.

The premise that there is only ONE meta, and that the ONE meta is "top, mid, jungle, ad bot, or support" is the problem. Riot has even now included new items to allow players to have NEW roles.

I would like to counter suggest a report system for people like you, who complain during pick, peer pressure people into roles, and then like rage all game about not getting what he wanted / there not being a "proper" support/jungle/top. (Especially since those concepts are still new / vague and constantly changing)

abombizzle

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvias View Post
Unfortunately your inability to adjust your meta to new strategies or ideas is the problem.

Example: Promote was removed because it allowed people to abuse lanes early game. It was OP. But people like you probably dodged queue if you saw a summoner select it because it didn't fall into your preferred roles in meta. Pusher is a valid strategy and role. It is not a popular one, nor one that many people know how to support, but that doesn't make it any less of a valid or vital role.

Riot has, on several occasions, tried to create a more aggressive game. Even in this latest patch, the traditional roles of Support and ADC bot, AP mid, Tanky Ad top, Bruiser / tank jungle have been challenged by Riot.

As for your examples: I have seen a double jungle / invade completely go wrong, and I have seen it work. (More work than not) If you, as a teammate are unable to break to the jungle to assist, you are failing them, not the other way around. Be flexible, and pay attention to the Mini.

Two mid? I took ziggs once with a swain mid and we pushed it all the way to base in less than 15 min. Their jungle couldn't dive in because we harassed their mid to much for them to help, and he couldn't run us down due to CC, slows, and satchel. Me and swain then broke to the other lanes and crushed those too. They surrendered at 22min in.

Support? Solo? They just made a support who can solo mid. (Really) Sona and Soraka used to solo all the time. The support has to adjust their build, and the jungle has to gank, but it works.

The premise that there is only ONE meta, and that the ONE meta is "top, mid, jungle, ad bot, or support" is the problem. Riot has even now included new items to allow players to have NEW roles.

I would like to counter suggest a report system for people like you, who complain during pick, peer pressure people into roles, and then like rage all game about not getting what he wanted / there not being a "proper" support/jungle/top. (Especially since those concepts are still new / vague and constantly changing)
Actually your are making assumptions about me that are incorrect. I am not the type of person who complains about roles, to me this a game, and my effort is to improve it.

I never hesitate to do something other than the meta, In fact my favorite bot lane is Taric Blitz. I actually attempt to fill all roles to the best of my abilities, and to go where I am needed despite pick orders.

The problem is not the meta nor the deviation from it. The problem exists in peoples inability to work together. I have seen 2 jungles work, I have seen 2 mid work. The difference between when they do work and when they don't work is cooperation. You would be hard pressed to find any consistency in teams working together after roles become jumbled.

Just because those are the roles on the list, that doesn't mean that you cannot choose how to define that role, nor does that mean that their could not be additional roles added to a Que system, that pairs up people who do wish to deviate from the meta.

Now I am sorry that you think that just because I see a problem I dodge to avoid to it, thank you for criticism, but you should attempt to understand that the result that occurs most often is the result which needs to be focused on. And the result that occurs most often when drastic deviations occur with no communication, is disastrous. Yes their are exceptions but in my personal experience the fraction produced by successful/unsuccessful does not happen enough to merit it as a counter argument.

Now the truth is that I welcome deviations from the meta, and hope that if implemented a system similar to the one I suggested, would be adapted to fit any style of play including deviations from the meta. In fact the system could even be made to facilitate players who prefer deviations to play in that format primarily.

Vesuvias

12-08-2012

After reading a lot of these posts I have posted my own solution here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2881286

I think it solves your problems without creating too many more. I also think that it allows people to tailor their game experience more to what they would like. (If you didnt like they way that guy tanked, you no longer have to see him)

The problem with making a list of roles is that people then expect people to fill those roles. If people deviate from what other people expect of them, they will get angry and report them. (OMG HE DIDNT BUY ONLY DEFENSE!? he is a tank! "REPORT HIM! He's the tank, and he has only AD items!")

Your system, while nice, would quickly make LoL a rigid game.

Edit: By the way, your solution doesn't help people work together.

abombizzle

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvias View Post
After reading a lot of these posts I have posted my own solution here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2881286

I think it solves your problems without creating too many more. I also think that it allows people to tailor their game experience more to what they would like. (If you didnt like they way that guy tanked, you no longer have to see him)

The problem with making a list of roles is that people then expect people to fill those roles. If people deviate from what other people expect of them, they will get angry and report them. (OMG HE DIDNT BUY ONLY DEFENSE!? he is a tank! "REPORT HIM! He's the tank, and he has only AD items!")

Your system, while nice, would quickly make LoL a rigid game.
I read your post and I liked it. I also think I think that you are right it could possibly make LOL a rigid game, just like anything it has its flaws, but the only way to find out is to see how it works, and how it can be changed for the better. This is done by a constructive changing of idea's precisely what these forums are designed for.

Vesuvias

12-08-2012

Couldn't agree with you more