Should Supports auto-attack to help their lane partner get last-hits more quickly?

Yes 5 29.41%
No 12 70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Supports and Auto-Attacking minions.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spark of Light

12-06-2012

Now, I've heard a few different opinions from other players about support champions and auto attacking.
For example,I play Janna often. Aside from slowing enemy champs down and shielding my partner among other things, I like to use my howling gale on an incoming minion wave/champ and sometimes auto attack minions to set them up at lower health for my lane partner to last-hit. I'm trying to obviously be helpful with this. [I try to be as careful as i can not to last-hit obviously, since they need the gold more].

However, I've come up with mixed results/opinions. A lot of people either don't mind that I do that, or notice what i'm doing and appreciate it. Then there's a few people who have scolded me for doing so because they think I'm either: trying to get the last hits/messing them up, or they just don't believe supports are supposed to auto-attack minions at all while they are in the lane as well.

I personally feel a bit useless when I'm just standing back and not attacking minions AT ALL and just putting my shield on them or something. So I wanted to know what other people think about this and stuff. So let me know what your opinion is on this and why or why not maybe. [pro's and con's even if you want.]
Thanks in advance!

Noogums

Recruiter

12-06-2012

Pushing your lane too fast is good if your goal is to indeed, push your lane and take your turret. Let's say, the opposing bot lane has roamed mid or is just overall mia. In that situation, you either need to follow them to where they're going or push your lane as hard as possible to force them to return.

However, in the beginning of the lane phase, you don't want to keep your lane constantly pushed. You want both ADCs to CS at the same speed, keeping the lane somewhere parallel to the river. This helps keep you safer from enemy ganks. Truly, the only supports that have excuses to *need* to attack creeps are Nunu for his passive and Taric for his passive.

It's purely situation. I would the majority of the time, it is a no-no, and most ADCs will say that it makes their job of CSing more difficult.

MorikTheMad

12-06-2012

What noogums said. I find that this messes up my last hitting, as I'm used to judging which minions to hit when based on their slow health drain from my creeps.

When you come in and start knocking them down too, my attack speed cannot always keep up. So I end up missing more CS.

The lane pushing is also bad--worse than messing up the ADCs last hitting in many cases.

AverageD1ckRat

12-06-2012

Yea, attacking minions is absolutely a nono unless you want to get the last hit because your ADC couldn't get to it in time. Pushing lane is like a beacon saying 'I'm here gank me now!' Don't push lane anymore than you have to or you will end up dead.

iDpark

12-06-2012

Depends, if you have voice communication, maybe. Or if you want to push lane because you see their jungler top and mid isn't mia.

Most of the time, leave the damned minions alone.
Most ADC can last hit without help, and if they can't you're screwed anyway.

Harass the lane opponents.
Don't waste the mana unless your ADC has expressed a desire to push down tower.
Or if your last hitting while adc is at base, and you're about to back too.

Spark of Light

12-07-2012

*bump for more input*
^_^

drivec

12-07-2012

you dont want to do it because it pushes the lane leaving you open for ganks. sometimes it can be better under specific circumstances. but generaly its better to just let them last hit.

the reason it doesnt always work the same way is because players dont always play at the highest skill lvl. some jungles are not very agressive.

sometimes pushing the lane can be very beneficial.
such as right before doing dragon or right before both you and your adc are going to nexas.

EDIT IMPORTANT: sometimes hitting a ranged minion with ONEauto will allow your adc to kill it after a tower hit where he might not of before