Are Runes worth it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bootyhunter777

12-07-2012

Hey guys, I was just wondering if the IP you have to spend on runes, is it worth it? I like to spend my IP on new champs, but I keep getting told that I need to start buying runes, but they cost alot. Advice?

Yellow Ranger

12-07-2012

Yes.
They make a huge difference.

You will honestly be at a severe disadvantage without them. Whenever I play with my low-leveled friends, the difference in stats from runes alone is terribly noticeable.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-07-2012

You can only play with 1 champion per match. Why not enhance your ability to play with that champion by investing in some runes?

adc

12-07-2012

I gain 13 armor, 15 AD, 1.35 MR at level 1 from my runes for an AD hero. Go compare that to Ezreal's base stats with no runes.

JRiMi

12-07-2012

What level are u? They are a waste until you hit lvl 20 and can buy tier 3 runes. At that point they become a necessity so def invest in some.

Proxy345

12-07-2012

Yes they are worth it. Buy runes first then IP farming becomes alot easier.

Hollywood U

12-07-2012

Runes are expensive, but once u have an entire set of runes, you will see huge differences between your stats and others stats with no runes.

shycadet

12-07-2012

I used to think the same way, you know about runes, but they are worth it. Im currently working on my ap page and when you go into mid with someone who ALREADY starts out with 31 ability power and you have nothing? Huge difference.

First page I made was for Rengar. AD of course, and you could notice the difference when a regular champ came face checking the bush at 20 seconds in. Lol. The dmg dude, or the ability power, or the armor, it makes a difference and you should start putting your money into it.

And on the bright side, it gets you some buff AND you get to play with a champ a lil more to help you become EVEN better with them

Fiveagen

Recruiter

12-07-2012

Good runes to get for each role follow.

Mid: AP quints, MPen marks, Armor yellows, MR blues
AD/Top: AD quints, AD marks, Armor yellows, MR blues
Support: GP10 quints, choice of marks, Armor/GP10 yellows, MR blues

Basically be smart about rune choices. Great investments are definitely Armor yellows and MR blues. I personally don't bother with scaling runes, as the early boost is what you're going for more than a late-game advantage. Your play with your early advantage should get you the gold you need to overcome the scaling runes that other people might have.

first time Vayne

12-08-2012

At the original poster, I shall be your voice of reason in this brouhaha.

NO, runes are NOT worth it for you right now. You are level 24. At your level of play, you should prioritize buying and familiarizing yourself with as many champions as you can. You even said you prefer to buy champs but are being pressured into buying runes... That tells me you wish you knew more about champs, which tells me you don't know enough. You already know what's best. Trust me, at your level, runes make only a psychological difference, so don't waste your points on them.

Go without runes until 6 months after you turn level 30, like I did. Your peers will be buying runes to make themselves feel like they're stronger. Their champs will get marginally tougher at early levels, but you will advance in skill to compensate. You can outplay any rune set with the right skill.

For example, I once played a Kat v Kat game in mid lane right after turning level 30. The enemy Kat messaged in all chat as the game started, "Hey, I have 40 AP more than you. GLHF!" I messaged back, "I'm going to wipe the floor with you." I did, and she was sad. All I had to do was harass from outside her range (Kat's Q bounces quite predictably) and burst her when she was significantly lower. I also warded and got better ganks than her. And by level 5, I had the Needlessly Large Rod that she did not. What were those runes doing for her then?

Besides, you couldn't even use a full rune page at this point, so the benefits from having one are not as great as they will be at level 30. You'll get more out of learning about interesting new champs and finding new ones to main. Trust me, you'll earn lots more IP to spend on runes by the time you get there.

And to everyone reading this, if you feel that your runes are giving you the edge you need to win, then you are accepting that the enemy is as skilled as you and that you have no way of winning by your own competency. That mindset will lose games for you.

And then there's the old theory that runes' effects on games are not nearly worth their IP prices, and that they exist solely to channel purchases into RP (cash), but you didn't hear that from me.

Go buy ____, who you've been looking at for the last month. You can get runes later on.

All that said, if you want to jungle, you should probably pick up some attack speed marks and armor seals. Those are all you need, and they will make a noticeable difference in the jungle. When you are ready to start buying runes, start with flat AD marks and quints, those armor seals, and magic resist glyphs. They will give you the strongest early game, which is when runes make the most difference, autoattacks (AD) do the most damage to champs, and last hitting is the most vital. I love playing AD on my Ziggs mid...such good autoattack poking, and last hitting is a breeze.