Art Feedback and Hopefully Constructive Criticism

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Laurgon

11-23-2012

I sent Riot an email offering some hopefully constructive criticism regarding their artwork a few weeks ago. I've never tried to contact them before, so I wouldn't be surprised if I did it wrong not that I was really expecting a response or anything, but I have no way of knowing if it got through. I've seen similar posts on Reddit before, and I'm hoping that with enough support for this and other like-minded viewpoints, we can give Riot some food for thought. Below is the complete text of the email that I sent I may have missed something, or phrased something badly, so if you have any constructive criticism for me, I'll be glad to hear it. Anyway, I hope I struck a good balance between supportive and offering potentially unwanted advice. One thing I did forget to mention is that I consider artwork for people like Cassiopeia (and now Nami) an exception to the "rubber spines" rule, as the nature of their not-fully-human parts makes this make sense.

So, what do you think?

Hey Riot,
I just wanted to make you aware that some of your art has been featured on a blog called Escher Girls. It's not a legal issue in any way the woman that runs it gives you full credit for the art that's yours. The problem here is the content of the blog. Escher Girls's tagline says that the blog "showcas[es] the ways [in] which women are depicted in illustrated pop media, specifically how women are posed, drawn, distorted, and sexualized out of context, often in ridiculous, impossible, or disturbing ways."

Now, I've seen a lot of artwork on there that's genuinely bad. You guys are doing really well, all things considered. Don't get me wrong; your guys' new art is fantastic. I love it, I really do. You guys have gotten so much better since your early days (even though I wasn't playing then, I've seen some of the old art it was okay, but nothing compared to what you have now). And I don't agree with Escher Girls 100% of the time, but generally the moderator raises some great points.

The main problem I see not that you asked for my opinion, but I'm giving it anyway is in the characters' backs. Some of their spines seem to be too curvy (like the new Ashe or Soraka splash pieces, or Leona to a lesser extent), or occasionally too sharply bent (like Blackthorn Morgana or Wildfire Zyra), to be realistic. I tend to see some wiggle room for you as a lot of the characters (like in the new Morgana or Lux artwork) appear to be flying, and you can disregard things like poses that have to support a character's weight if they're flying. But that's just my two cents.

Anyway, here, for your edification, is the link to all things tagged "League of Legends" on the blog: http://eschergirls.tumblr.com/tagged...Legends/chrono. I think there may be some redraws on there, but peoples' comments should help as well. Please understand I think your artists are already doing a great job and I don't mean this to be destructive in any way. I just want to see you guys continue to improve.

I hope you get to see this email, even if you don't reply to it. I know you're all probably really busy, running one of the world's most popular games. I haven't been summoning for that long, and art-wise I'm nowhere near the level of talent you guys possess, but you've been great in the past about listening to the community and I'm honestly just trying to help.

[My name was here, but I removed it for this post.]

P.S., Oh yeah, at one point she really goes off on the Battle Bunny Riven skin. That was her April Fool's post, so don't take it seriously. I'm pretty sure that pose is physically possible, although I haven't jumped off any tables recently to test it. I know it's possible to get what she refers to as a "boobs and butt" pose as long as it's not super extreme. Like if you're swinging a baseball bat, or a giant sword.

Krïssy

11-27-2012

what a joke that blog is.

Laurgon

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krssy View Post
what a joke that blog is.
What makes you say that?

Resther

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2012

I hate to admit it, but that blog does have a valid point. I knew something was terribly off with Lux's new splash art, and the fix that they did to it made her look 100% better than Riot's original version.

I get what they're saying, but it IS a fantasy game. I'm a firm believer that if it'snot grounded in reality, then it has a reality of it's own, and doesn;tnecessarily have to follow the rules. That's what it means to be creative and artistic. Anatomy is tricky that way. Sometimes you can get away with crazy proportions and the like, but when you're making humanoid characters, anatomy makes you its' *****, because you're kind of obligated to follow some sense of reality.

Laurgon

12-12-2012

I still feel like the humans are supposed to be human still. I've always been of the opinion that you can do whatever you want with a fantasy world as long as it's believable within that universe (i.e., the ability to use magic doesn't exist in this universe, but in some other universe that might be completely believable depending on the treatment — hence you can have both believable and non-believable superheroes, for example, or wizards or what have you). But that's more of a story-related thing, and I think in that respect Riot's doing just fine. Many of the characters that have these otherworldly powers are supposed to have bodies that function just like ours. If someone's kit revolved around being able to warp their anatomy in some way (like Elastigirl from The Incredibles), then I'd accept whatever they gave me. But someone like Miss Fortune, for example, isn't supposed to be able to do anything like that.