Getting Out Of Elo Hell: Win Before The Game Starts

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AlwaysTwoAces

12-07-2012

I’m not a forum lurker or anything, but after moving from competitive Dota (IHCS/IDEC) and HoN to LoL, I noticed that the lanes and team composition/roles are a bit more rigid and the overall flow has emphasis on the team. After playing a lot of ranked, I’ve noticed a lot of common mistakes and misconstrued concepts which eventually form this stigma called Elo Hell. I’m not going to offer any magic pills that will get you out of it, but a few tips that definitely will have an impact on your success.

Overall Message: The game is partially decided before the game even starts.

Tip #1: Put the team’s well-being above your own.

It’s probably not a good sign when you have 3 people arguing for mid and the first person insta-picks lock his position (mid in this case) and gives the rest of the team a big f u. In this case you are making mistakes and self-destructive moves before the game even starts.

It might be hard sometimes, but cater to the team versus what you want and what you know you can do well. Just because you know you have a wicked mid, doesn’t mean someone else doesn’t. If that person can’t jungle/adc very well and you know you can, you should probably pass mid to him and you pick up the other roles. Many of the games I’ve played and won, my team often asks each other what they want and what they can do better, before calling and locking a lane.

Tip #2: Ban properly and use first pick to your advantage.

If you got first pick, you use it to your advantage and force the oppositing team to ban the big heroes such as Blitz/Amumu/Malphite. Here’s an example with team 1 going first:

Team 1 Team 2
Diana Shen
XXXX

Right here with three bans into the process, with the enemy team having only 2 bans left. This means you probably will get Amumu/Malphite/Blitz if you avoid that. If the enemy team catches on, it will be too late to ban those heroes.

Now honestly a lot of people make the mistake of trying to ban them.

Team 1 Team 2
Diana Shen
XXXX Blitz
XXXX Malphite or Amumu (and you get the latter)

To counter this, you just leave them all open. If all three heroes are open, first team gets 1, you counter grab 2. Either way use this to your advantage.

Team 1 Team 2
Shen Blitz
Your-Counter Malphite
Your-Counter Amumu

That right there is usually how I’d pick. Gets you some advantage and helps your lanes a bit.

Tip #3: Pick in the correct order, not by person and calling order, but by the positions.

So you figured out whose going to play what, but the picking order is just as important. You really want to avoid picking your mid or top lanes first. This is obvious because picking say Katarina first because your 1st pick/banner wants to go mid is asking to be countered by a Diana/Malz/Fiddle and etc. Same goes with top, you might think you just got your OP Darius and then the enemy team insta locks a Teemo.

You are shooting yourself in the foot this way. You want to avoid this by enabling people to work together and trade heroes. Grab your ADC’s/Supports. Save your last few picks for your key players and to counter pick their heroes.

FistOfChuckNoris

12-07-2012

Excellent post. Most common things in League are mindless auto-bans and people only willing to play one role no matter what their pick order is. Its especially bad when one person says that he can only perform one role, as this usually means they don't understand the game and wont do well even as that role.

Your Tip #1 should be displayed in bold at the start of every game, haha

AlwaysTwoAces

12-07-2012

Thanks for the support and bump. This is Chuck Norris approved now haha. I'm working on a second quick tip page about what you can do and the mentality required to succeed during the game and will get that out eventually.

The thing is, this game isn't too hard when people work together. The tips and strategy I posted above really takes no effort within the game, only within someone's own mind. It's not hard like playing a Sona, where you flash in and crescendo 4/5 enemies while dropping Q/E into W and hitting their ADC while applying True Ice on Singed and releasing ur carry from stun. All within 3-5 seconds.

AlwaysTwoAces

12-08-2012

Really wished people could do such simple selfless things...