Constructive Criticism about new UI/shop

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PlayedSun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

I know with me personally, I often find that the even after purchase of an item and the depletion of my gold, the icon for an item will stay lit even after purchase, giving the illusion that I can purchase more, despite not having any gold. It's not a major issue, but it throws me off every time I purchase something from the shop.

The Fizznity

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Keyboard buying was a "nice to have" for the initial release of the shop and Riot Reinboom did an amazing job getting what we have into the game. However, we did not have as much time to iterate on it before release as we would have wanted. We were actually just talking about it today. We're probably going to move in the direction of using browser shortcuts for this and not using enter for search so we can preserve chat and scoreboard functionality with the shop open.
Glad to hear it, a polished search will be the cherry on top of an already tasty cake!

turkeyBACON

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayedSun View Post
I know with me personally, I often find that the even after purchase of an item and the depletion of my gold, the icon for an item will stay lit even after purchase, giving the illusion that I can purchase more, despite not having any gold. It's not a major issue, but it throws me off every time I purchase something from the shop.
I too get this and hate it. I noticed that the it'll also highlight items that contain that item in their recipe despite the lack of funds.

About the rearranging items bug/ difficulty. I found that i couldn't rearrange items while dead and/or while the shop is open. This would be rearranging items in the lower left inventory part of the hud. I'm not sure if I was able to do this before the update but I'm definitely finding it and inconvenience to not be able to now.

Also while I'm airing my grievances, I really wish I could instantly buy any item in the shop buy double clicking them if I can see its icon in shop. I'm not exactly sure but I think you can't double click to buy on the right hand side of the shop interface. You have to click the buy button. Can you also always show in the item description (while in the shop) the the sell back amount? I don't want to have to click the item in my inventory to find this; should be listed beside the buy amount (perhaps in a different color/font/effect/etc. but always listed).

Also please expand the search terms to include abbreviations: atk, spd, cc, mag, dmg, cdr, pots, etc. (although I might be the only one to use some of those and some might already be listed)

About the hotkey numbers in the inventory, please have them in the opposite corner diagonally from the amount of stacked items. I kinda got use to this, but at first it was confused with how many pots i had since there is so little space there in the icon square. Not have all that info in a straight line will help with readability and still keep it where it's necessary.

Not sure if this is where I can post bugs as well but, I was able buy more than one oracles in ARAM during the same period of life between deaths (not sure how to phrase that?). I was dead and spam clicking it right before I was to rez since i didn't have any item slots open. I'm 99% certain that I bought 2 since I heard the consume/use sound twice and I was short double the amount in gold. I didn't double check to see if I had 2 oracle buff icons or if the were stacked to be used since i was in a rush and it was a heated game. I guess i could understand this function if I could stack oracles in my inventory but i'm pretty certain i can't as of now. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Sorry I can't be more specific about the instances but I'm at work so I can't go in game to test. But thanks for putting in the effort to make the ui easier/prettier to use.

LadyAzalea

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Reinboom View Post
Typing lag that can show up on some lower spec machines is caused by it recalculating a lot of information as you type, and the "safe zone" of caching being matched to my typing speed (I type fast, so you can blame me for that oversight ).

Both the "safe zone" time increase as well as a bunch of other optimizations should be in within one of the first patches after the world ends tomorrow.

This will also address the lag some users are experiencing when they attempt to open the shop or buy an item. They are very much related.
I'm still addressing this from different angles as well to ensure the new shop is as responsive as possible.
The computer I'm doing is definitely lower spec. I type super fast, but it doesn't seem to match up to my speed. You either type faster than me or it's just my computer.

@ boourns:
Awesome troll response!

I just have issues rearranging items via drag & drop in the hud. Idk if it's my computer, or what. Also not sure how to help reproduce the issue. I can select an item like i'm going to drag it but when I let it go, it does nothing.

My assist/kill pictures are still pretty tiny, and recall text, on the PC I usually play with.

I admit I am getting more used to it, but the lag/click speed issue is killer, and I'm personally still unsettled by the unweighted feeling of the shop as is. Those are the 2 things that are still bothering me. I still feel like I can't find the items I need efficiently. I rely on the search bar to get me all my items. I honestly would prefer being able to click on things because with freezing hands, it gets hard to type. But I just can't get the hang of having to filter [through] so many items to find what I need.

Also, I have having http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2897027 this problem. I sense it's related to the laggish issue somehow. (Similar to having to click on pots like 6+ times to buy three, I "click" a + only to find out I should have triple clicked it for it to work!)

I still need to post some dxdiags. Just been busy lately. Thanks for the instructions you left in a different post.

Also what are your thoughts on adding the search bar on both pages/views? (Recommended and All?) One thing you didn't address that I would like to know your opinion about. Oh, and adding boots, 3 pots recommended for more users?

And I think you may have mentioned working on making the shop more transparent. When would a change for that be going out? I'd like to make note of it in my OP.

Search terms I would like to see incorporated (if they aren't already):
Jungler, jungle, melee, support, tank, tanky, adc, dorans, aura, active, monster -> machete.

Recall pings? Next patch? Pleeeeeeease? =]

And to all-- I edited the front page with answers from our fabulous reds!

3Ieven

12-21-2012

The main issue I have with the shop UI is actually the tooltip that pops up when you manually click on your gold count at the bottom left of your screen. The tooltip blocks the chat box which I think is more important to see when the shop is open. I like the hover-over describing the shop and gold, but when the shop is open, it should go away so you can see the chat.

It isn't always there, but I would say about 95% of the time the tooltip blocks chat for me

theDreamer

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Reinboom View Post
Typing lag that can show up on some lower spec machines is caused by it recalculating a lot of information as you type, and the "safe zone" of caching being matched to my typing speed (I type fast, so you can blame me for that oversight ).

Both the "safe zone" time increase as well as a bunch of other optimizations should be in within one of the first patches after the world ends tomorrow.

This will also address the lag some users are experiencing when they attempt to open the shop or buy an item. They are very much related.
I'm still addressing this from different angles as well to ensure the new shop is as responsive as possible.
I experience the type delay and lag, and am very grateful for this.

I also notice some lag between switching "All/Recommended" which I do a lot (switch to rec for start of game, then between all and rec depending on my familiarity with a champ).

Would it be possible to get a keyboard shortcut to switch between the two, or a different shop button (Press P to open shop with Recommended, press O [Because who uses O for scoreboard, it's just annoying when I miss P and end up with that stupid overlay and am confused for a second] to open shop with All. Once in the shop you can still switch)?

Alternatively, if I could search from inside the Recommended screen, I wouldn't need to use All ever.

EDIT: Also, pretty pretty please put green and pink wards in "recommended consumables" for EVERYONE.

There should be NO EXCUSE.

Reverentforce

12-22-2012

interesting how this hud seems to be a perminant one when its the main source of problems in this game at the moment, i can safely tell you a good sized chunk of players likely wont return to the game becuase of that teal monstrosity, no offence ment. the old hud was much easier on the eyes and from how i can see from looking at the old one to this one, the old one would have worked nicely with the search bar and the other additions ya'll added to the shop. like many players i miss league of legends and with this new hud it doesnt feel like league anymore, which saddens me since over my time here ive spent a substantial amount of money on this game, whats funny though lag included with the shop i also recieve the lag yet its not anything to do with my isp or net i keep a solid 60 on my latency throughout the game yet it stil has those momentary lag spikes in the shop.

i just kind of expected more from riot honestly that they would have given the players a chance to voice some form of concern over this hud change instead of dropping it on us like what happened, unfortunatly an extremly large number of players dislike this hud or its colors becuase of the straining on the eyes teal gives , best solution at that point rework the old hud as a middle ground , instead of seeming rather selfish in pushing so much on all the players. now im not saying all this to be rude or crude in any way im saying it as a consumer that stuck on the side of this company and game for quite a long time , and also as a said consumer thats rather disapointed that the uniqueness this game had via its hud is now gone and with alot of the love and ease of mind as well.

psychocat15

12-23-2012

i don't know if its just me but every time i open the shop i drop to 5 fps but i like it i just have to click buy a little bit more to buy an item and that some times makes me buy more than one of that item.

LadyAzalea

12-23-2012

Reds-- One more thing to add to the front page/complaint. The surrender bar. Not only is it kind of unattractive, but it takes up a huge chunk of the screen. It's actually gotten me killed a few times since it's in such an important spot in team fights. I noticed it can be moved...but chances are if I moved it, it wouldn't remember that location for my next game. Is it's size/transparency something that will be in the next patch too? It's really hard to work around as it is now.

And one more thing... can you add more suggested items to "Start items" for each character? 1-2 isn't enough when there are more than 1 option to start with.
Ie, Cait: recom. start is doran's blade; Vayne's is boots + 3 pots
Why not combine similar character's start builds and recommend them all as options??

Doran's blade, boots, pots, wards (pink and green both). Would be nice to see the options.

Happy holidays. Thanks for your hard work.

Shimrra3

12-24-2012

I've noticed most of the issues currently stated by the OP but what really gets me at the moment is how laggy the shop is. I'm attaching my DxDiag to this post, and I can also tell you for reference that I typically have around 200 ping in my games due to being in Australia. 200 ping should not account for 2-3 seconds whenever I open or close that window though.

Another thing I've seen is that if I spam-click the potions - which we have to do now due to the aforementioned problems with it - I can get it to display 4 potions bought at the start in the shop, while the inventory (standard HUD's, not the shop's) still says I have 3. Opening the shop again will say I have 3 as it should. I bet if I had a faster mouse and/or smashed it to bits I could get it showing more than 4. Just thought I should point this out. This may be solved along with the other clicking-efficiency related issues.

I could vent about some other stuff the OP mentioned, but that info is largely a couple weeks old, plus people are on it, plus I know what constructive criticism is.