Constructive Criticism about new UI/shop

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

12-17-2012
3 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsario View Post
I'm one of those who suffer lag. Here's a DxDiag for you: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...3#post32397263
Awesome, thanks! If you're seeing lag, please, please, please post your dxdiags here so we can find out what kinds of machines run into these problems.

Some directions here:

https://help.ea.com/article/how-to-g...ag-information

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...ow-to-post-it/

Discpled

12-17-2012

I too get this lag when opening, closing and buying items with the new shop.

PoorLepRecon

12-17-2012

Lagging when I open the shop.

deathbypoultry

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2012

Being so used to the original UI it took me awhile to get used to the new UI. But once I got used to it I realized just how much better the layout is. It is more efficient than the old one. My only real complaint anymore is basically the problem #6 from the original post. I feel the new UI doesn't match the league of legends art style. I feel like its centered around the championship set up from end of the season. I just find that very offsetting. A good, maybe easy, solution would be to have an option that allowed use of the old UI. I think a more efficient thing to do would probably make a color palette swap for the UI.

dafedidi

12-17-2012

Here, I have lag with the shop :

Ashesofanangel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2012

I haven't had as many issues with the interactive aspects of the new UI, but I will say they are visually disconcerting when compared thematically to other game content. It may just be how used to the old stuff I am. My beef is this, it all looks so sleek and hyper polished I get a kind of sci fi vibe from it. Thematically it just stands out from ancient stone turrets, plants, and fantasy jungle monsters, while the old UI looked as rough as the battlefield and went along with all the stones and runes.

Tl;DR

UI would look great in Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars XX
Not so much in Age of Mythology 2(I wish)

The Fizznity

12-17-2012

I like the new shop, however:

I hate the search feature. It's entirely too clunky and in my way if I ever want to use it. Consider the average sequence for buying an item via search:

Open shop
Enter to focus on search bar (why not Ctrl+F?)
type
Enter to go to list of items
??? if i just want an item selected in main pane
Enter buys item shown to be selected
Repeat *entire* above process

I do *not* want to go enter-hea-enter-enter times however many pots I want, over and over. It's just too unintuitive. There's also no way to get rid of the search box short of clicking the X or buying an item AFAICT either. Escape just closes the entire shop window and confuses me incredibly when it does so. What's really curious IMO is that you said you were inspired by chrome, then it has... none of what makes the chrome Super Bar (w/e) really smooth to use.

To be clear, I'd be spamming the heck out of search if it was usable. But pressing enter as much as i actually type, and not only does it not adhere to conventional app standards for manipulation, it flat doesn't have some sorts of functions... =/

If I were given free reign over the search box, here's what I'd do:
* Columns in search 2 > 1
* Cursor is now always present in search results, up/down moves between items
* Add Key to purchase item without closing search
* Add Key to bring up item in main pane, closing search
* Escape, if search is open, closes search box and clears search box
* Key for opening search is configurable (if not already)

LuvCup

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Thanks for taking the time to organize this feedback!

1. Yes we are looking into this, but we only have one patch before Christmas for critical issues... because no one wants to hose the game and have to bring people in over the holidays. :-o
I'm working 9 days over the holidays. Meanwhile, you could fix most of these major issues in a matter of minutes. Nobody needs your excuses. Just admit that you guys were trying to piss summoners off with these downgrades.

Quote:
2. We wanted a shop scale slider for release. This should solve most problems as the shop is actually scaled up quite a bit larger than it needs to be for text legibility in higher resolutions.
Why don't you just make the horizontal span of the shop go full screen? Then, you can put the additional pane back in. Being able to see outside of the shop is not useful except for in chat, which is overlain and transparent, anyway.
Quote:
3. We made a deliberate decision to keep the right side very similar to the old shop because we were changing so much. This may change in the future, but probably not anytime soon.
Who cares? You did one thing right and 17 things wrong. You want a cookie?
Quote:
4. I'd challenge your assertion that the new shop takes more clicks to buy items, especially if you are using icon view. I'd suggest people are less used to navigating it so it feels like it takes longer. The old shop took an extremely large number of clicks to find items not in your 6 recommended. We will be tracking stats on this vs. historical data to verify this hypothesis and will make corrections to meet our goals of making shop navigation more efficient.
Well, you're partially correct about this but partially incorrect. By removing one of the panes from the main view, you increased the number of clicks. By increasing the number of panes in the buy view, you decreased the number of clicks. I think that the changes in which items build up to which items is what causes the biggest change in speed of item acquisition. A lot of inexpensive items were moved around, and now it seems like all the recommended buys have different bases or are just outright buys.
Quote:
If you are getting lag in the item shop, please post dxdiags. Also the double click time in the shop was set too short, this should be more generous in an upcoming patch. I'll see about using the windows setting, but because this is inside a game we don't use the event system the same way, so this is not provided for "free" to us, we need to build that support.
Done.
Quote:
5. The HUD has font quality rendering problems that the shop and menus don't. I very much want to have them addressed, it's a significant technical undertaking though.
Bull****. Dude, up the DPI. You're screwing anyone who has less than 20/40 vision, and I have something like 80/150.
Quote:
7. Yeah, we have changes like this that we want to make to the surrender dialog. I'm not happy with the presentation right now.
3 leavers: cancel.
Quote:
8. This is probably lower priority for us to do, ideally you're not needing to input large strings to search that would benefit a lot from this kind of text selection. We would also have to implement this from scratch, we are not using windows UI components because they are not suitable for use in-engine.
Interesting.
Quote:
9. We're unlikely to remove the numbers for item shortcuts as they are really useful for teaching newer players that you can activate items and also use hotkeys to do it. In our testing we didn't notice large problems with people getting confused by the numbers, but it's something we're watching. If we get persistent problems that aren't going away as people get used to the HUD, we'll explore some different presentations.
Maybe consider showing summoners how to drag items to different slots because it can't be done via the buy menu. You know, in a tutorial.
Quote:
11. If you can reproduce not saving your item shop view settings reliably, I'd like to hear more details. This should be working. Posting dxdiags, game.cfg from your config directory will help us track this down.
Done.
Quote:
12. This should resolve itself as we build out our library of colloquialisms in search terms (you can currently search for bf instead of b.f. for example or triforce = trinity force). If you find any that are missing, post a list here.
BF... *OW!!!!* :'( ~*(====8
Quote:
13. We will likely show the raw XP numbers, they'll be more useful anyways. It was an oversight that it didn't ship like that.
Just increase the font size.
Quote:
14. Changing item placement has never worked in the item shop, new or old. You've always had to do this through the HUD. We would like to add that, but it involves replicating the drag and drop implementation in the item shop so it did not make the list for initial release.
Don't care. Increase the font size.

Quote:
15. It's on the tooltip for the item in your shop inventory as it always has been! The difference is that selecting the item no longer shows it in the description panel. We are investigating changing that and switching the button to sell in those cases with sells for:

Maruzarix

12-20-2012

I also have the lag with the shop. Also if you buy pots rly fast it shows you as having more then you actually do.

boourns

UI Designer

12-20-2012
4 of 8 Riot Posts

Lol, I wish I was as skilled a counter-troll as Zileas, as this seems perfect for him. I'll give it my best try though:

Thank you for the positive tone of your feedback and your constructive criticism. Have you considered applying for a position at Riot? Your ability to distill complex problems down to simple solutions with easy implementations would be extremely valuable here. I would love to have you come in, even for a few days, and fix these major issues that we seem to be struggling with.

More seriously though, I understand the frustration that our players feel when things don't work as we expect. I also play our game a lot! I feel many of the same frustrations that you do. When I post on the forums, I try to give you context on why we've made the decisions we've made or acknowledge things that we've overlooked and what me might do in the future (without revealing confidential information). Results are what counts in the end, but I look at my interactions with the forum as a way to give our players a small window into what we do and the challenges that prevent us from being all things to all people.

I really hope people don't think our job is to make things that piss off our summoners! That's not why any of us are here. The truth is that making exceptional games which are great experiences for our players is hard. That's our goal. And even if we do everything "right" we'll still sometimes fail, and we often work with incomplete information on what will work, constraints of time/technology, or just plain make mistakes. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

However, your post is not an effective way to effect change or fix the problems you have with the game. If your objective was to obtain a reply from a rioter, though, I hope you are satisfied with my response? Although, I've written this as much for everyone else in this subforum. A more cogent response with meaningful discussion on issues with the item shop would be more interesting and productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvCup View Post
I'm working 9 days over the holidays. Meanwhile, you could fix most of these major issues in a matter of minutes. Nobody needs your excuses. Just admit that you guys were trying to piss summoners off with these downgrades.

Why don't you just make the horizontal span of the shop go full screen? Then, you can put the additional pane back in. Being able to see outside of the shop is not useful except for in chat, which is overlain and transparent, anyway.

Who cares? You did one thing right and 17 things wrong. You want a cookie?

Well, you're partially correct about this but partially incorrect. By removing one of the panes from the main view, you increased the number of clicks. By increasing the number of panes in the buy view, you decreased the number of clicks. I think that the changes in which items build up to which items is what causes the biggest change in speed of item acquisition. A lot of inexpensive items were moved around, and now it seems like all the recommended buys have different bases or are just outright buys.

Done.

Bull****. Dude, up the DPI. You're screwing anyone who has less than 20/40 vision, and I have something like 80/150.

3 leavers: cancel.

Interesting.

Maybe consider showing summoners how to drag items to different slots because it can't be done via the buy menu. You know, in a tutorial.

Done.

BF... *OW!!!!* :'( ~*(====8

Just increase the font size.

Don't care. Increase the font size.