Okay guys, here's what we do about Katarina's animation removal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shinrasaa

12-07-2012

This seriously has to stop. More and more, the "omg it's too sexy" people are getting heared, while the silent majority who loves both badass females and sexy females gets ignored. Yes, the recall animation was over the top, but that's what made it funny. And since when where skins meant to fit? I thought skins exist to give champions a bit of variety.

Well, I will be voting with my wallet, no Christmas Katarina skin for me. Shame to you riot for giving in to all the complainers.

HunterHagen

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Santa goes down the chimney...

This concept isn't hard to understand, imo. :x
Then what alternative are you suggesting for this Kat skin?

Ahri Sempai

12-07-2012

I have a question; does Riot have a replacement for her recall since this current one is getting removed?

Grim Valeria

12-07-2012

Downvoted because of listening to whiny gd all the time.

SynysterVengenz

12-07-2012

Maybe it's just me, but alienating and aggravating the, seemingly, majority of the community seems like a horrible, horrible business decision.

ThisIsMinecraft

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshaldra View Post
Someone summed this up better than me, but we have a TON of skins that don't "fit the theme". That's usually what makes them cool. Fiddlesticks probably doesn't throw surprise parties. Chogath is likely not a gentleman, and definitely not a robot. C'mon Riot. Despite what the forum threads would lead you to believe sometimes...we're not stupid.
He's saying that the animation didn't fit the theme of the skin. Like, strippers and christmas don't mix. Not that the animation didn't fit Kat's original concept.

PallasAthens

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless Kung Fu View Post
Yeah, and Tristana's lore clearly details her being a firefighter. And Heimerdinger's lore clearly indicates he's from Mars.

You guys are caving to forum trolls, Morello, and it's really, really sad.
If Heimers dance was him dry humping a turret, that would be counter to what the skin is.

Chun Li

12-07-2012

Quote:
I need to be clear about something here: the reason we're removing it (and make no mistake, we are) is because there's a lot of places where we're happy to do that, as you guys have noticed, but this skin was not the right place for this sort of thing.

Nidalee has a spear, easily a pole. She's also generally closely related to "hot night elf chick" and has some innate *** appeal to her - pole dance is awesome here.

Katarina in Reindeer ears with a pole dance is just off. It's not about right and wrong, it's not about sensitivity, it's about "what makes sense with this content?"

If you want to think there's some PC police that guide our hand, I can't stop you, but do a quick search on our thoughts to the contrary of this (go look in the spider queen or Nami threads) you'll find that we normally go forward with it when we believe it's the right choice for the champ or skin. In this case, it's just not.
So let me get this straight. You mean to tell me that skins now require to make SENSE with all it's parts before it's released?

The entire community is saying KEEP IT KEEP IT (Minus those people that say not to. Which is almost no one) and instead you're like "Nah this makes no sense why would we do that we can't do that we're getting rid of it." Just because it doesn't make any sense?

Okay.

Stark Midnight

12-07-2012

Quote:
I need to be clear about something here: the reason we're removing it (and make no mistake, we are) is because there's a lot of places where we're happy to do that, as you guys have noticed, but this skin was not the right place for this sort of thing.

Nidalee has a spear, easily a pole. She's also generally closely related to "hot night elf chick" and has some innate *** appeal to her - pole dance is awesome here.

Katarina in Reindeer ears with a pole dance is just off. It's not about right and wrong, it's not about sensitivity, it's about "what makes sense with this content?"

If you want to think there's some PC police that guide our hand, I can't stop you, but do a quick search on our thoughts to the contrary of this (go look in the spider queen or Nami threads) you'll find that we normally go forward with it when we believe it's the right choice for the champ or skin. In this case, it's just not.
Alright a very good argument from a design point of view +1. I was worried that you guys were going to start censoring the game. However i hope you'll be replacing it with an equally awesome recall animation and not just a filler one.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-07-2012
5 of 39 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshaldra View Post
Someone summed this up better than me, but we have a TON of skins that don't "fit the theme". That's usually what makes them cool. Fiddlesticks probably doesn't throw surprise parties. Chogath is likely not a gentleman, and definitely not a robot. C'mon Riot. Despite what the forum threads would lead you to believe sometimes...we're not stupid.
Right, but Gentleman Cho'Gath doesn't throw flowers on the ground when he recalls - that would be a problem, too.