Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Okay guys, here's what we do about Katarina's animation removal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CausticSushi

12-08-2012

I didnt know badass assassins danced like Napoleon Dynamite.

What was the problem with the pole dance recall again?

Trynd The King

12-08-2012

Riot she need the animation, Nid also.

Big Legend

12-08-2012

As an activist for women's rights I believe that this decision was WRONG.

Why can't women (dare I even say men) express their sexuality without such a huge uproar? In a post Janet Jackson America, I find it hypocritical to censor or shy away from the sexual identity of people, and embrace violence on such a gratuitous level.

For as many "feminists" and "white knights" as there are in this Puritanical society of ours, there are an equal amount of community members who feel empowered when expressing ourselves, whether it be through pole dancing modeling etc.

To show my distaste, I will NOT buy this skin, and when Riot looks at the data post Snowdown, I hope they don't spin their lack of sales due to the initial concept and its "backlash".

PS: The comments about the theme not fitting are moot, when every other champion and their skins are brought into the picture. There are too many that aren't "thematic" or "lore appropriate" to count.

Eserine

12-08-2012

I am male, and I consider myself a feminist (which most players in this thread seem not to even grasp as a basic concept). While I am disgusted with the implementation of this skin (not because it is sexy), I also recognize that as a cardinal rule of player relations it is a terrible idea to promise or show players any feature being produced, and then not deliver upon it after people have had the opportunity to grow attached to it. There is only one recommended, contained response to angry players in situations like this one, developers must ONLY announce: "We are replacing it with something even cooler". Don't go any further into an argument, just make something cooler.

as Morello has asked what skins we would have alternatively liked to have seen instead of an uninspired, tasteless, and hypocritical (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=28613205#28624198) Miss Fortune knockoff, here are twenty:

Krampus Katarina
Ice-scraper Katarina (needlessly death lotusing her car windshield)
Ski-ninja Katarina
Hypothermia Katerina (no jacket, blue cheeks, and icecles on her face)
Blanket-hog Katarina (wrapped up like a caterpillar)
Old Ways Katarina (Druidic solstice with antlers)
snowdown pageant Katarina (dressed ridiculously like a partridge)
Yeti slayer Katarina
shopping-bag master Katarina
Toy Katarina (complementing Toy soldier Gangplank)
Arctic Expedition Katarina
Intricate Wrapping-paper Dress Katarina (with cardboard tube attacks)
Murdering Carolers Katarina ('silent night'? Green outfit covered in red blood)
Ugliest sweater from Grandma Katarina
Sleigh charioteer Katarina (centurion/Christmas mashup)
Fatarina (pot-belly and chipmunk cheeks stuffed with holiday candy)
Tattarina (covered in awesome Christmas tattoos)
Barista-style Cocoa-junkie Katarina (with apron and nametag)
Jattarina (Carrying Jatt in a dressing gown and nightcap over her shoulder as though he were Scrooge)
New Years Katarina (wearing a white toga and '2013' sash, with an hourglass, after garroting 2012)

I've normally make it a policy to withhold all unique or creative ideas I come up with to improve the game over the years because of point three (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2813286), but it really isn't hard for anyone (that I know at least) to think up dozens of interesting skin ideas in a few minutes.

SBSuperman

12-08-2012

Quote:
Morello:
I think this was a choice to make it look different - I'd have to ask the texture/model artists though.

Wait, if the choice to make her hair orange is sticking around, why did Kitty Cat Kat get changed to red hair from brunette? The hair was my favorite part of that skin!

SB

Darkwahn

12-08-2012

Quote:
Morello:
Artistic strategy Game design's indifferent!

But what about having Lux skins that don't fit her thematically in any way at all?

Vree

12-08-2012

Quote:
Eserine:
I am male, and I consider myself a feminist (which most players in this thread seem not to even grasp as a basic concept). While I am disgusted with the implementation of this skin (not because it is sexy), I also recognize that as a cardinal rule of player relations it is a terrible idea to promise or show players any feature being produced, and then not deliver upon it after people have had the opportunity to grow attached to it. There is only one recommended, contained response to angry players in situations like this one, developers must ONLY announce: "We are replacing it with something even cooler". Don't go any further into an argument, just make something cooler.

as Morello has asked what skins we would have alternatively liked to have seen instead of an uninspired, tasteless, and hypocritical (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=28613205#28624198) Miss Fortune knockoff, here are twenty:

Krampus Katarina
Ice-scraper Katarina (needlessly death lotusing her car windshield)
Ski-ninja Katarina
Hypothermia Katerina (no jacket, blue cheeks, and icecles on her face)
Blanket-hog Katarina (wrapped up like a caterpillar)
Old Ways Katarina (Druidic solstice with antlers)
snowdown pageant Katarina (dressed ridiculously like a partridge)
Yeti slayer Katarina
shopping-bag master Katarina
Toy Katarina (complementing Toy soldier Gangplank)
Arctic Expedition Katarina
Intricate Wrapping-paper Dress Katarina (with cardboard tube attacks)
Murdering Carolers Katarina ('silent night'? Green outfit covered in red blood)
Ugliest sweater from Grandma Katarina
Sleigh charioteer Katarina (centurion/Christmas mashup)
Fatarina (pot-belly and chipmunk cheeks stuffed with holiday candy)
Tattarina (covered in awesome Christmas tattoos)
Barista-style Cocoa-junkie Katarina (with apron and nametag)
Jattarina (Carrying Jatt in a dressing gown and nightcap over her shoulder as though he were Scrooge)
New Years Katarina (wearing a white toga and '2013' sash, with an hourglass, after garroting 2012)

I've normally make it a policy to withhold all unique or creative ideas I come up with to improve the game over the years because of point three (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2813286), but it really isn't hard for anyone (that I know at least) to think up dozens of interesting skin ideas in a few minutes.
Those ideas are just.. awful. Fatarina? Seriously?

GrumpyB3ar

12-08-2012

Quote:
Big Legend:
As an activist for women's rights I believe that this decision was WRONG.

Why can't women (dare I even say men) express their sexuality without such a huge uproar? In a post Janet Jackson America, I find it hypocritical to censor or shy away from the sexual identity of people, and embrace violence on such a gratuitous level.

For as many "feminists" and "white knights" as there are in this Puritanical society of ours, there are an equal amount of community members who feel empowered when expressing ourselves, whether it be through pole dancing modeling etc.

To show my distaste, I will NOT buy this skin, and when Riot looks at the data post Snowdown, I hope they don't spin their lack of sales due to the initial concept and its "backlash".

PS: The comments about the theme not fitting are moot, when every other champion and their skins are brought into the picture. There are too many that aren't "thematic" or "lore appropriate" to count.

qft

IceCreamMan92

12-08-2012

So....Let me follow along here.
If Katarina's recall animation wasn't 'thematically' consistent, then where in the world is the justification for the Gangnam style dance for Twisted Fate?
I don't see how a pop culture trend in today's reality is 'thematically' consistent with Twisted Fate's character.

FirinUpMuhLazer

Recruiter

12-08-2012

The whole thematically consistent argument is flawed. It was removed for not being whimsical like the rest of her costume, but her entire costume exudes nothing but sexy santa outfit. There is no whimsical to it. The only whimsical aspect was the recall animation. Otherwise it fit perfectly with the skin.