Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot: Vi's W is Archaic

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flair

12-07-2012

Vi is a really cool champ very much in the Starbuck vein, with three fun abilities. However, after testing her on the PBE I find that having a fully passive skill hearkens back to the old days of champion design.

I cant speak for everyone but I find that champs with only 3 skills get boring much faster.

Riot please, it is not too late to help this promising champ!

Taikero

12-07-2012

They addressed this somewhat by allowing her E to store two charges (I think three at max level or last two levels would be nice to make her feel like she has more AoE damage spread)..

Also, Q and E's cooldown at max level is 7 seconds before CDR (40% makes it 4.2 seconds).

Vivi R66

12-07-2012

E is a Phoenix Udyr proc, W is a Vayne Silverbolts, Q is a Varus Meets Alistar, R is just fancy looking cc xD

I liekd her, a lot!

Xyrne

12-07-2012

I don't get the point in having an ability that you can't even use. If it had a passive it would at least be worth looking at, but now I look at it and think "well it doesn't actually do anything" and skip it.

Flair

12-07-2012

Quote:
Vivi R66:
E is a Phoenix Udyr proc, W is a Vayne Silverbolts, Q is a Varus Meets Alistar, R is just fancy looking cc xD

I liekd her, a lot!

I agree there are many older champs with this issue. In the case of ranged ADC's, I would prefer an additional skill, however this deficit is much less noticeable because a large part of their job description is positioning and auto-attacking (vs bruisers who are much more "active&quot.

Taikero

12-07-2012

Quote:
Xyrne:
I don't get the point in having an ability that you can't even use. If it had a passive it would at least be worth looking at, but now I look at it and think "well it doesn't actually do anything" and skip it.

You can't really skip an ability that activates off her other abilities as well as her auto-attacks and deals % health physical damage, increases her attack speed, and shreds opponent armor by 25%.

Even if you only put one point in it and max Q and E first, a single point in it is already very powerful and enhances your Q and R tremendously. For the fact that Q and R apply it, and it applies as well by just hitting your opponent, skipping it completely would be gimping yourself very badly.

FollyGuy

12-07-2012

I honestly think Vi's W does too much for something that requires very little skill. The armor shred synergy late game, especially with the %penetration mastery and the black cleaver is incredibly strong. What I would like to see them do is this.

W- Denting Blows:

Passive- Vi's consecutive attacks against a single target generate a stack of Denting Blows. She gains 15% Attack Speed for each stack of denting blows on her target (maximum 3 stacks).

Active- At 3 stacks of denting blows Vi may activate this ability, consuming the stacks dealing 6/7/8/9/10% (+.05%) of their Maximum Health as physical damage and reducing the targets armor by 5/10/15/20/25% for 4 seconds.

5 Second Cooldown- 50 Mana at all levels.

This will help to reduce his early game damage from this ability by making them choose whether to keep the AS of do a hit to their targets health and armor and will give more strategy to her gameplay. It will also help to increase her mana consumption, which is another problem with her kit because her costs are basically negligible. Though I realize it may not make this the most original I still think this would be a better fit for her than the completely passive ability that her W is now.

Taikero

12-07-2012

FollyGuy, that basically mirrors Volibear's W, and makes Vi more clunky (one of Volibear's few problems is that W is a targeted, short range, activated ability that should instead automatically trigger after three build-up strikes on the fourth strike, IMO).

I'm actually rather glad Vi's W is passive, however I do think its armor shred will be knocked down a bit to 15-20% somewhere.

Fox P McCloud

12-07-2012

Quote:
Flair:
Vi is a really cool champ very much in the Starbuck vein, with three fun abilities. However, after testing her on the PBE I find that having a fully passive skill hearkens back to the old days of champion design.

I cant speak for everyone but I find that champs with only 3 skills get boring much faster.

Riot please, it is not too late to help this promising champ!

If you find Vayne or Twisted Fate boring....I'm really not sure what to say to ya.

There's nothing wrong with passive abilities when applied properly; Riot just doesn't want to have champion with something like 3 passive abilities on one champ.