A Yordle with a Swordle!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Forum Use Only

12-09-2012

We are in dire need of a yordle jungler that isn't a mummy.

Yordle Swordler

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFaTaLZz View Post
I love this idea and so much work was put into it! :3
I'm glad it pleases you <3, for me that's not really "working"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Use Only
We are in dire need of a yordle jungler that isn't a mummy.
Yap I agree one more little cuty in the jungle would be nice

Rossingol

12-10-2012

pls riot pls

Yordle Swordler

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossingol View Post
pls riot pls
(\(\
(^.-) < Yeah pls hire me lol
.(_)

N49

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didoodeladi View Post
Any precious constructive advice will be taken into account.
For starters, rethink how your skillset interacts with the theme.

If the goal is to have a Yordle with a sword, he can't be another mage.
He has a sword, he should use it to stab and slash, not as a magic wand.
That means no AP reliance and no magical effects, only brute force.

Fury is a great idea here, because it's a resource that builds by stabbing and slashing, work from there.
Think what are the traits of a Yordle, and what type of champion should use Fury.

Yordle Swordler

12-10-2012

@CodeN49
The idea behind this willpower is that it's a Yordle, he is little. Thus it wouldn't make sense if he had the strengh of a tryndamere. To be able to carry such a hudge weapon he boosts his strengh with magic and that way overcome his inevitable weakness. A melee mage yap but still his gameplay style is like an AD and auto attacks are essential.
I could have decided to make him a pure AD instead of a kind of hybrid, but I though it was more interesting to get that willpower/AP stacking feature as rage is negative emotional energy while willpower is positive that suits better the global yordles background.

But maybe I got it wrong, anyway Riot still are able to make this idea a pure AD without changing much it's just a suggestion

And again thank you all <3

N49

12-10-2012

Quote:
@CodeN49
The idea behind this willpower is that it's a Yordle, he is little. Thus it wouldn't make sense if he had the strengh of a tryndamere.
Not much about Yordles makes sense anyway. But let me elaborate my point.

From a design perspective, Willpower is Fury, but renamed for the sake of creating a new resource... which is a weak reason.
As for melee mage: There's Poppy already... and Rumble... most other yordles are already AP champions too, even the "physical" ones. Yeah, not very original, and doubtfully something worth burning a "Yordle with a sword" on.

Going back to square one: "Willpower is Fury". So he uses Fury: the angrier he is, the stronger he gets. Rage as a source of strength is a theme common enough to be familiar, and plays well with the usually whimsical and easygoing yordles, not to mention the tongue in cheek way the theme interacts with "small" characters.

Thematically Fury makes a ton of sense, and mechanically, it reinforces the sort of slash'n'stab way you would want to go for with such a character.

From here, the "Willpower Combo" mechanic... well, drop it. It sounds confusing and distracting. It's a game of 'watch the bar', but you have to play it in the heat of battle, rather than have it be THE battle mechanic. A "Combo" should be something for the player to figure out anyway.

A better way to handle the combo feel, is to make clever use of your resource, Fury.
Take a look at Renekton, each of his abilities has a Fury bonus, which leads to interesting decision making, and an awesome feeling of power when you pop your ult, and all your skills are boosted.
Try incorporating that into the character, drop the current E, move the last ability effects to Fury enhanced bonus on the abilities themselves. It's a lot less clunky.

I could probably design 3 different kits of the character for you, but this is as far as I'll go for now.
Also, on a less serious note: at least one of his skills should make him throw the sword with earth-splitting might.

Yordle Swordler

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeN49 View Post
"Willpower is Fury, but renamed for the sake of creating a new resource... which is a weak reason."

From here, the "Willpower Combo" mechanic... well, drop it. It sounds confusing and distracting. It's a game of 'watch the bar', but you have to play it in the heat of battle, rather than have it be THE battle mechanic.
I fear your idea is close to a "tryndamere-riven" bis. Anyway I explained my opinion about that and as I said maybe I got it wrong, Riot still are able to make this idea a pure AD as it's just a suggestion.
The difference is that rage boosts Crit chance I want it to boost AP instead. Maybe overall these (including the lore and background reasons) are weak reasons, still this ressource is not costly to add as the whole mechanic is allready within the game.
For the distracting combo thing, well as I used to say before when you first play rumble you have to look at your hit bar all the time to stay just at the "limit" when you use your spells this is nearly the same thing.

Quote:
I could probably design 3 different kits of the character for you, but this is as far as I'll go for now.
Yap you could do that too)

murlocmancer

12-10-2012

This is well thought

N49

12-10-2012

Quote:
The difference is that rage boosts Crit chance I want it to boost AP instead.
Lore aside, Fury can do anything really. It boosts crit on Tryn, but for Renekton it only empowers abilities, and is essentially a cooldown timer for Shyvana.
No issue with it doing something else for your character, or should I remind you how Shyv was supposed to use "Dragon Blood"?

Quote:
I used to say before when you first play rumble you have to look at your hit bar all the time to stay just at the "limit" when you use your spells this is nearly the same thing.
Hardly. With Rumble, "danger zone": is a bonus, and the resource behaves normally otherwise(notice how it's similar to 'energy'). You make it a central mechanic.
Sadly, watching a bar works only for golf and fishing games. Not so much for a fast paced, already multi-task heavy, game like LoL.

I'm not trying to put you down or anything, the core concept is good, and the visual aesthetic is great.
But from a kit perspective, the character really dosen't have much "Yordle with a sword" going on for it, nor do the mechanics make much sense, neither as a part of the concept nor on their own.