[Champion Concept] Erebis, Watcher of the Sands

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wulffe

12-07-2012

Quote:
Concept

Erebis exists as one of my random, spur-of-the-moment champ designs. Unfortunately she is also one of the few I’ve truly struggled with in creating her kit. She came along as a thought, turning her into artwork and then putting her history and kit together with the help of Gradunk, a fellow champ crafter. After seeing what I had originally came up with I knew the perfect place for her as a fellow Keeper of the Sands, next to her brothers Nasus and Renekton.

Fun Facts

Erebis is very handy.
She went through several role swaps before finally settling on a tank AP support.
[Center]Revealed Version[/Center]

Quote:
[CENTER]Erebis, Watcher of the Sands[/CENTER]

[Center]Stats

Attack: [X][X][X][X][X][X][X]
Health: [X][X][X][X][X][X][X][X][X][X]
Difficulty: [X][X][X][X][X][X][X][X]
Spells: [X][X][X][X][X][X][X]

[X] = 1 point. Max is 10 points.

Roles
Melee, Support, Tank

Item Recommendations

Attachment 574006Attachment 574007Attachment 574008Attachment 574010Attachment 574011Attachment 574009

Abilities[/Center]

Six-Armed Goddess (Passive) - She gains 10% of the items in slots 1, 2, 3 and 4. Weapons and trinkets representing the items appear in her hands. Two of her hands are constantly occupied by a shawl she carries. So only 4 of her hands are available for use. The items can be classified into Two-handers, One-handers, fists, trinkets, shields, staves and have a representational item appear on her.

Wind Sweep - Erebis sweeps all 6 arms forward, sending out a powerful blast of wind. If Sandstorm is rpesent it can be used to manipulate its flow.

Sandstorm - A sandstorm covers the selected area. Enemies inside the storm have a vision reduction and movement reduction. If Erebis attacks champions inside the storm they receive additional damage.

Quicksand - Erebis causes the ground to liquefy under her enemies. The enemies caught inside fight against a slowing effect as well as the swirling current of the quicksand. If the enemies remain inside after the ability ends they are stunned. Additionally, if used inside the Sandstorm it’ll cause the storm to follow the current.

Neverending Cycle - Like her brothers, Erebis calls upon the sand which empowers her. During this time she gains more health and shares it with surrounding allies who are healed over time. If she walks through an active Sandstorm she absorbs the spell, gaining a damaging aura as well. She will also immediately harden Quicksand if she steps on it.

[Center]Lore[/Center]

On a far off world Erebis stood as one of the three Pillars of her people. The three Pillars filled, maintained and protected the great Archives where endless fonts of power and knowledge were kept so that the race they presided over could be enlightened. They had kept to their roles for centuries with Erebis feeding the Archives, Nasus serving as its custodian and Renekton preventing unworthy souls of defiling their sacred grounds. Their cycle had become routine after several millenia. But when one piece fell out, the whole system came to a screeching halt.

After Renekton’s betrayal him and Nasus tied up for a fight that threatened to not only destroy them but the Archives as well. When Erebis finally stepped down to intervene the brothers had disappeared, leaving behind a catastrophe that needed to be fixed and mitigated. After several years of Erebis serving as all three Pillars, she was interrupted by a rift that emitted a familiar energy. Leaving a bit of herself behind to maintain order, she stepped through the rift and found herself kneeling before her brother Nasus in the bowels of the Institute of War.

After a hostile reunion, Erebis settled down long enough for Nasus to briefly explain himself and the situation they were in. Needing her brothers to return to their duties, Erebis had little choice but to assist Nasus in finding a cure for their brother’s ailment, knowing that the only possible cure would come from the summoned Watcher.

[Center]Champion Tips[/Center]

Playing as Champion

Make sure Erebis gives a fair amount of kills to her allies. She’s going to grow without the help.
When quarreling in the sandstorm be sure to angle Wind Sweep so that the sandstorm follows them.
Keep in mind that Sandstorm and Quicksand are affected by Neverending Cycle.

Playing Against Champion

Get out of her abilities as quickly as possible.
Erebis can manipulate her sandstorm so be careful that it doesn’t catch you by surprise.
Be sure to stay away from her and her abilities when her ultimate is active as they make her more effective when securing kills.
[Center]Complete Version[/Center]

Quote:
[Center]Story[/Center]

In a far off world there exists a never-ending cycle of birth, life and death. As was common upon inhabited worlds like this one. Though there were two people who walked the same planes of this world. The first were the upholders of the cycle, the ones caught forever in the endless cycle. Then there were the ones that stood above them, the ones that kept the cycle flowing, protecting it, keeping it pure. The smaller race raised these entities as gods amongst them for without them they believed the cycle would end and thus the end of all life, all spirits in existence.

Though there were numerous so called ‘gods’, only three stood above the rest and acted as the pillars of knowledge, power and the balance between the three governing aspects of birth, life and death. If there was a place considered holier than any other location on their planet it was the place known only as the Archives. Inside many scribes, scholars and journeymen poured through the gathered knowledge and wisdom from the ages. All were there for self-enlightenment in hopes of one day joining their immortal brethren, in that life or the one after.

Though many were there number only three entities resided over this place. First was Renekton, the Gatekeeper, who stood guard against those with maleficent intent for the knowledge inside. Next was his brother Nasus, the Curator, who kept the library stocked with wisdom, power and made sure that the flow from beginning to end had little to no faults. And lastly was their sister, Erebis, the Watcher. From her perch above the Archives she watched the scholars come and go, she watched her brothers keep to their duties, she watched the world continue on as she poured her findings into the Archives so that Nasus could organize them and Renekton could protect them.

They had kept the cycle going for centuries. Though it all changed one day when the gates unexpectedly closed shut, keeping all interested bodies out and trapping those inside behind its behemoth stone doors. With the flow pinched, Erebis found herself pouring the gathered power into a tunnel with no exit and could feel it quickly overflowing. It wasn’t until she looked upon the Archives did she see the horrors unfolding below her.

Even to this day she could not understand why or how it had happened but somehow the Gatekeeper had succumbed to the hatred and darkness he kept from entering the Archives. Deeming all the ’mortals’ unworthy of such gifts, he condemned all of the knowledge-seekers to a brutal death. The floors were already stained red with the life source of the scholars when Nasus finally intervened. Erebis could not sit by and watch her siblings destroy each other. So she descended to the world for the first time in several millennia only to find an Archive filled with death and her brothers no where to be found. With no clue as to their whereabouts the Watcher had to quickly repair the damage the two had left behind.

Some time would pass by as Erebis played the role of Gatekeeper, Curator and Watcher. It was a job that was taxing even to a powerful entity such as herself but it was one needing to be done. A few others of her kind had been sent in to assist where needed but the truth was that she couldn’t settle with just any of her brethren taking the reigns, she needed her brothers to tend to their duties.

One day a rift opened inside of the Archives and through its opening she could sense a familiar power emitting from within. Leaving a bit of her essence behind to maintain order, Erebis stepped through the rift. She spun and tumbled for what seemed like an eternity before she felt solid ground beneath her. It was then that she knew exactly what had happened to her brothers those few years ago.

“By the gods,” came the wizened voice of the Curator. “Not her…”

Erebis stood before Nasus in the underbelly of the Institute of War. Nasus immediately tensed at the sight of his sister, knowing that something had either gone terribly wrong or terribly right in his request to find a cure for his brothers madness. She gracefully, casually strolled towards her brother. When she was within reach Erebis swiped hard at him, sending a burst of wind whirling through the small chamber. Just as Nasus recoiled Erebis found herself being hammered by an unknown force.

Throwing her arms up in defense she found herself to be bound. Noticing the restraints she felt herself being pulled to the ground. The more she resisted the heavier the pressure felt until she could do nothing more than kneel before her brother. When she looked up she saw him attempting to wave away some unseen presence. After a few attempts and arguing with whoever sat back in the darkness, the restraints faded.

“Lady Erebis, sister,” Nasus bowed his head as he offered his hand to help her up. “I understand how furious you are with our brother and I.”

Erebis swatted his hand away and stood back to her full height, standing a head taller than her brother. At this point she took the opportunity to survey the unfamiliar area. She could now see that there were several other people present, all much smaller than herself though she could feel that each of them were trained to bring creatures such as herself down with ease.

“I find it ironic that you have been summoned,” Nasus placed his hands at his side. “I asked the summoners here to help find a cure for the ailment that plagues Renekton.”
“Death would complete his cycle and be very fitting for the crimes he has committed,” she said coldly. “But I have need of him - of you.”
“I understand, sister,” he said bowing his head again. “But we must deal with our wayward sibling. Sooner rather than later.”

Erebis looked around her once more, noting that all of the people present kept their identities masked from her. She frowned to herself, her beaked face masking such expressions. With a sigh she lifted herself to a stance that spoke of a commanding figure. She looked down at her brother who lowered his head a third time.

“Tell me what it is I must do,” Erebis said as Nasus looked up at her.
“ First things first, sister,” he responded. “We need to register you in the League.”
Quote:

[center]League Judgment
(May or may not add one. If I was to add one it‘d be the last time Erebis, Nasus and Renekton were together.)[/center]

Quote:

Quotes:

Upon Selection:
Our Cycle continues. Their’s will end.

Moving:
We will continue on. They will not.
On the winds of victory.
I shall go.

Attacking:
Blow them away.
They will not get away!
The Sands shall devour them.

Death:
Screeches like a bird as she turns to sand, leaving behind only her crown.

Taunt:
I‘ve existed for many a millennia, and will for a millennia more. You will not exist after this day.
You are nothing more than dust in the wind.
Said as she sprinkles sand into the wind.

Jokes:
I am the Alpha. I am the Omega. I am….oh, shiny!
Like a complete circle. The beginning and the….Argh!
said while juggling the items in her hands and dropping one.

Dance:
Tribal Fusion Star
Each set of arms can be doing a different part of the overall performance.

Champion Interactions:

Nasus-
(Allied, moving) Seems your mind is as keen as ever.
(Against, attacking) It seems our cycles are colliding. Mine shall consume yours.

Renekton-
(Allied, moving) How do you feel, Renekton?
(Against, attacking) You were always the foolish one, brother.

Nasus and Renekton (in the same match)-

Moving - ‘Come, brothers.’ ‘Let us go home now.’

Attacking - Let the might of the Sands strike them down!
Quote:
[Center]Stats[/Center]

Health: 430 (+95)
Health Regen: 7.14 (+0.75)
Mana: 220 (+35)
Mana Regen: 6.6 (+0.4)
Range: 125
Attack Damage: 53 (+3.35)
Attack Speed: 0.630 (+1.9%)
Armor: 15.5 (+3.5)
Mag. Resist: 30 (+1.25)
Movement: 320

[Center]Tags[/Center]

Melee, Support, Tank

[Center]Item Recommendations[/Center]

Mercury Treads (Captain)
Rod of Ages
Frozen Heart
Banner of Command
Runic Bulwark
Trinity Force

Quote:
[Center]Abilities[/Center]
(Big shout out to GRADUNK who helped me come up with at least 80%+ of the ability kit.)

Attachment 574073
Passive:
Name: Six-Armed Goddess
Effect: She gains 10% of the items in slots 1, 2, 3 and 4. Weapons and trinkets representing the items appear in her hands.
*Note* Two of her hands are constantly occupied by a shawl she carries. So only 4 of her hands are available for use. The items can be classified into Two-handers, One-handers, fists, trinkets, shields, staves and have a representational item appear on her.

Attachment 574074
Q:
Name:
Wind Sweep
Effect: Erebis blasts sand out in a target direction dealing 80/115/150/185/220 + (.7%AP) magic damage and knocking all enemies back by 100/150/200/250/300. Wind Sweep is used to manipulate and control Sandstorm.
Animation: Erebis extends her top two arms, sending out a flurry of wind. If used on the Sandstorm it’ll manipulate it. The closer the blast is the shorter the storm’s stretch will be. If used in short range in the center it’ll create a bowl, if used on the edge of the middle it’ll curve the storm.
Cooldown: 12/11/10/9/8
Cost: 60/70/80/90/100
Range: 0-600

Attachment 574072
W:
Name:
Sandstorm
Effect: Erebis creates a sandstorm that lasts 6/7/8/9/10 seconds. Enemies cannot see into or past the storm and enemies in the storm have their vision reduced by 75% and are slowed by 30%. Damage delt to enemies in the sandstorm take an additional 10% (+.3% AP) magic damage. Enemies near Erebis in the storm take 10/20/30/40/50 magic damage per second.
Animation: Erebis extends her 2 middle arms to form a ball with her hands then spreads her arms appart. The storm is created as her arms spread and the target area is covered with violently blowing sand the blows with the length of the storm. The wall is a general sandstorm, nothing special. If Sandstorm is affected by Wind Sweep, the shape of sandstorm changes. The section of wall hit by Wind Sweep is knocked back the normal amount and the rest of the wall moves to keep the sandstorm connected. for example, it wind sweep hits the middle of the storm, it changes to form the shape of the side of a wok.
Cooldown: 20
Cost: 100
Range: 1,000, 150 passive

Attachment 574071
E:
Name:
Quicksand
Effect: Creates an area of spinning quick sand at a target location that slows enemies inside by 25%. If an enemy fails to escape the quicksand after 2 seconds, they get stuck (are stunned) for 1.5 seconds. While they are stunned, they spin with the quicksand.
If a stunned enemy is knocked out of the quicksand by wind sweep (or other means), the stun is removed.
If Sandstorm and Quicksand overlap, the section of sandstorm that overlaps will follow the current of the quicksand either creating a ring or filling the circle completely with Sandstorm.
If the aura from Neverending Cycle contacts the quicksand, it hardens instantly stunning enemies inside and deals damage. Hardened Quicksand can't slow or stun enemies after the damage has been dealt.

Animation: Erebis extends her bottom 2 arms and slowly spins them in a clockwise direction for 1 second. at the beginning of that second the target area turns into a slow whirlpool of sand.
If the sand is hardened it turns from a thick liquid into a dry cracked desert look.
Cooldown: 14
Cost: 80/85/90/95/100
Range: 650, 600 diameter

Attachment 574070
R:
Name:
Neverending Cycle
Effect: Create an aura of whirling sands granting Erebis 300/450/600 bonus health and nearby allies half the amount for the next 15 seconds. All all allied champions within the aura are healed for 3% of Erebis's max HP each second.
If Erebis walks through Sandstorm while this is active, she drags it behind her for 3 seconds.
Quicksand hardening damage increases by leveling the ult. (100/200/300 + .6% AP)

Animation: Erebis grows in size and a weak version of sandstorm surrounds her.
Cooldown: 80/85/90/95/100
Cost: 150/175/200
Range: 500
Quote: I shall consume the unworthy.

Quote:
[Center]Overview of Abilities:[/Center]

Erebis is meant to get bulky and mean as the game goes on. She starts this by her passive giving her additional stats. Something unique about this is that the items in slots 1-4 also appear on the character. The artifact she carries allows the manipulation of objects which reflects the items she has in her inventory. Though there are limitations as she can only hold so much. In example, if she picks up an Archangel Staff or Infinity Edge those items would take up two hands to use.

Q, Wind Sweep, mainly a poke ability. The true use of this ability comes when Sandstorm is active as it is used to manipulate the storm. The ability can be used at short or long range, effecting the storm different with the preferred distance. Short range will warp the storm where as long range will spread it further.

W, Sandstorm, is Erebis’ signature. This ability creates a wall of line of sight reduction which also slows enemies. This allows for easier ganks or escapes as needed and a damage increase for Erebis. Q effects the length/shape of the Sandstorm and E will absorb it, causing the storm to swirl with it to combine their effects.

E, Quicksand, serves multiple functions. First it makes it harder for enemies to escape as they are fighting against the current that is slowly pulling enemy champions towards Erebis. Next if enemies are still inside when it ends they are damaged and stunned due to their feet being caught. If it is used near Sandstorm, the pull of Quicksand will cause the Sandstorm to absorb the storm, rotating it with its current.

R, Neverending Cycle, is her ultimate. The primary use of this ability is to fortify Erebis and her surrounding allies with health as she heals them for a percentage of her max health. Additionally, if she walks through sandstorm she will gain a damaging aura that affects surrounding champs and if stepping through Quicksand she immediately causes it to solidify.

Overall, Erebis is meant to be a fairly difficult yet fun and unique champion to play. Her presence is meant to be an intimidating one, having the means to protect her allies and assist in hunting enemies down by the use of her W and E and give the support needed by ulting in the middle of a team.
Quote:
[Center]Skins[/Center]

Erebis, Watcher of the Sands Her default skin.
Guardian Erebis Her in her adornments as she served as the Guardian of the Archives.
Galactic Erebis It's not just Runeterra Erebis has visited. Some places she came as a conqueror.
Heavenly Erebis Others she arrived as a goddess.
Quote:
[CENTER]For more champions please visit:
Wulffe's Collection - Champions and Maps and Skins, oh my![/CENTER]

Wulffe

12-13-2012

Updated Erebis with my new layout. Also finished her ability overview and gave her ability art.

Gradunk

12-21-2012

sry i've been off skype for so long. but i posted my version of her on our chat so you can update this if you want. and bump lol

Wulffe

02-01-2013

Better late than never! Updated her with Gradunk's information and suggestions. Only thing I maintained is the name of the ultimate.

The5lacker

03-06-2013

"Gains 10% of the items" What do those words MEAN? They have no meaning in the context of League! They're just...words. Words that do nothing to convey anything other than a visual change when holding items, which makes no sense if the item in question is a boot or a chestplate!

500 knockback is excessive, especially with such a short cooldown. Might as well read "Melee champions are irrelevant against her."

That isn't a passive effect, that's just an effect of the storm. A passive effect would be active constantly, with or without the ability being active. Regardless, not really much of a wall and really just functions as a larger version of Graves' Smoke Grenade with a slow attached to it and really, really awkward wording.

This ability keeps popping up. Doesn't have synergy with her kit. She has two slows, only one of which deals damage and only when she hasn't knocked them away with her only damage dealing basic ability.

Ult is a giant AoE heal, which doesn't really help much. Makes her indestructible for a bit, but that's about it. With no real damage output and only cc effects going for her, she's basically relegated to support duty, which isn't bad but she's so redundant that I can't say I'm really intrigued by anything she does.

Lore is as artificial as it gets. After an excessive explanation on the world the trio come from (Which isn't necessary, seeing as Nasus's lore already explained most everything and significantly shorter), we end up with a character being shoehorned in with a ridiculous role that makes no sense and excessive melodrama. Your excessive lore neither convinced me that a third sibling was needed nor convinced me that you actually know much of League Lore in general.

In short, not too impressed. She's unnecessarily wordy and lacks any real punch.

Wulffe

03-06-2013

I generally wait a bit before responding to reviews but seeing as you seem to be more attacking my concept rather than critiquing it I think I'll go ahead and get it out of the way.

First, that's a typo. She's supposed to receive 10% stats from items held in those slots. And the only take a physical appearance on the character if the item is categorized in the aforementioned list. Also her passive, although thought out, was mostly a throw-on. Gradunk and I occasionally spitball ideas for changing it.

Just as you could have simply said "500 knockback is too much." Which would have been fine and I would have adjusted it. I will still do so but only because I happen to agree with you.

Actually, if you look at it. This ability technically is her kit. Her other abilities, even her ult, have an affect on it. In its design and function it has near perfect synergy with her kit. The only one that would really be in question would be her Q. Even then, it has a role in making her W even better.

I'm sorry but you've seemed to caught on to her point without realizing it. Support duty is her main function. However, if built decently she is made more to outlast her opponents rather than brawling with them. The flaw in that is if she's up against anyone that's basically fed or someone that's ranged where she needs to get close. Of course, it's not just support who could meet such situations.

I want to quote a line from Nasus' lore.

Quote:
"Heeding the call, Nasus chose to take his place in the League of Legends, knowing that his brothers and sisters would carry on the fight back home."
The story behind Erebis is not as farfetched or 'artificial' as you claim it is. In the grand scheme of things, every champ made in this forum is "as artificial as it gets" due to them not really having an official place in the League. In that regard, you are correct. Though with the provided quote, either it being metaphorical or literal, it is implied that he does have siblings that him and Renekton left behind. And even if you disagree with it, she does fit in well with their lore. We have the Gatekeeper, the Curator and someone who would technically be the Dean/Overseer/Keeper/Watcher or any other title of someone over seeing a building's function.

Well, even if you're not impressed I'll take the latter as a compliment. She's not much into punching things. Only jabbing while bobbing and weaving.

Gavin Nightfrost

03-06-2013

Wulffle, I dont think that Slacker is here to give any real constructive criticism but to just degrade people because they dont have any real imagination of their own.
But in more important matters, I think your concept is awesome, and would really put a new dynamic in the league with her being a support champ who is a sister of nasus and renekton. I do also think that we need a ranged champ that connects with them.

SephirothWontDie

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nightfrost View Post
Wulffle, I dont think that Slacker is here to give any real constructive criticism but to just degrade people because they dont have any real imagination of their own.
But in more important matters, I think your concept is awesome, and would really put a new dynamic in the league with her being a support champ who is a sister of nasus and renekton. I do also think that we need a ranged champ that connects with them.
i think you are correct. The5lacker never gives any constructive feedback, he expects us to read his mind to know what is so constructive about his posts. he deals a very hard blow to people's concepts, then when someone argues that his concepts are OP, he fights against everyone. apparently, his concepts are "perfect."

more on topic, i like this concept, although the whole thing about items showing up in the hands when getting items might be a little difficult to work in. if it can get worked in, awesome, it would look cool.

Gavin Nightfrost

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephirothWontDie View Post
i think you are correct. The5lacker never gives any constructive feedback, he expects us to read his mind to know what is so constructive about his posts. he deals a very hard blow to people's concepts, then when someone argues that his concepts are OP, he fights against everyone. apparently, his concepts are "perfect."

more on topic, i like this concept, although the whole thing about items showing up in the hands when getting items might be a little difficult to work in. if it can get worked in, awesome, it would look cool.

Ha yeah I hear ya. He just needs to calm down and be a lot more sensitive and considerate of people.

laststanding6

03-06-2013

pretty sweet concept. +1. 1 question. i myself am in the process of creating a champion called esoris, the dragon of the void and i am in need of concept art. How did you create the thumbnales for her abilities? BTW here is a ink if you want to check esoris out for yourself. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3155891
Esoris is still under construction btw. Base stats need thawing out.