Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Kat pole dances on a candy cane? Really?

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Usually Katarina

Recruiter

12-07-2012

lol you guys don't even lift there is no new kat skin


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darth Melkor

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
HIREZBLOWS:
lol you guys don't even lift there is no new kat skin


http://www.surrenderat20.net/2012/12/126-pbe-update.html#more (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/redirect.php?do=verify&redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.surrenderat20.net%2F2012%2F12%2F126-pbe-update.html%23more)

Get on my level dude.

edit: added a pic of the new Xmas Kat skin incase you're scared to click the link.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Benownzyew

Member

12-07-2012

there was a splashart and vid of a x-mas kat skin on reignofgaming the same with the new shaco,veigar,and fiddlesticks skin.. and in the x-mas kat skin video it shows her pole dancing


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

phar0ah1

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Its funny how game content is scrutinized so harshly these days. Honestly kids are learning much worse from public schools! Get real and realize its just a game. If your kid already knows whats going on when she does that, YOU GOT BIGGER PROBLEMS!!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AvariceSyn

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Kat is fully clothed, there is nothing naughty showing. Generally, pole dancing is associated with strip clubs and therefore carries negative connotations, however, pole dancing is also a widely recognized form of expressive dance, similar to ballet (and the outfits for competitions are relatively the same).

The root of the issue is the symbolism of the pole as a phallus that has been ingrained into our psyche forever, and yet incorporated into art it is deemed acceptable for public showcasing. It's the use of such which can turn things inappropriate.

League is a game that is highly artistic, while some aspects of it can be deemed slightly sexual, it in no way can be construed as pornography.

And as already said, the ToS already points out that the game is not appropriate for people under a certain age. That no one reads the ToS is the fault of the end-user, not the company.

I work for a company that sells video games and related products, we get people coming in with their clearly still-in-single-digits-for-age to preteen children asking for Far Cry 3, Grand Theft Auto IV, and other games with high amounts of sexual content and full on nudity (and we're not talking the artistic kind). We always make the parent/guardian aware of the game's content. I'd like to say that the kids get the game about 85% of the time, about 60% of the time with a stern look from parent to child and a grudging acceptance, 40% of the time a shrug accompanied by, "It's nothing they haven't seen before/they have plenty of games like that."

There's much worse out there, yet people are still willing to put it in the hands of their children. As long as their made aware of it, what's the issue? It's up to the parent to decide whether or not to let their child be exposed, the rest of us should not be censored because of it. And if the parent decides not to look into what their kids are playing? Tough cookies, it's their own fault. The resources and information are there, they need to have a look for themselves.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AvariceSyn

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
HIREZBLOWS:
lol you guys don't even lift there is no new kat skin


Lol
Long-time Global Agenda player here, and yes, Hi-Rez does blow.
BTW, it's one of the SS skins. Silleh.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darth Melkor

Senior Member

12-07-2012

My surrenderat20.net link is legit yet it gets downvoted... k? I guess trolls will be trolls


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WarAngeI

Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
phar0ah1:
Its funny how game content is scrutinized so harshly these days. Honestly kids are learning much worse from public schools! Get real and realize its just a game. If your kid already knows whats going on when she does that, YOU GOT BIGGER PROBLEMS!!


Your comment was the first one I actually took seriously. I don't try to scrutinize video games too much. If I don't like what I see in a game I just don't let my kids play them if I think they are going to be a bad influence. GTA is an example of one I didn't allow. This skin I wouldn't promote or let them have. We made the choice to homeschool our kids because of the behavior we see in public schools these days.

I guess everybody has a different moral compass and some will think that what is put in games now a days is more generally accepted as "normal," or "not so bad." I grew up with friends who would giggle and want to show me what you could do in games like Duke Nukem 3D and Leisure Suit Larry. Back then, that was considered Adult Only type content.

I still consider LoL more of a family game anyway and will continue to play it with my kids because its fun. I am not legalistic in this regard at all. I never called for an instant removal of this skin or animation either in my OP so not sure why I got so much flame regarding that. I just wanted to know from somebody at Riot why they thought this was appropriate to have on a champion or even made sense to have for a recall animation.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WarAngeI

Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
AvariceSyn:
Kat is fully clothed, there is nothing naughty showing. Generally, pole dancing is associated with strip clubs and therefore carries negative connotations, however, pole dancing is also a widely recognized form of expressive dance, similar to ballet (and the outfits for competitions are relatively the same).

The root of the issue is the symbolism of the pole as a phallus that has been ingrained into our psyche forever, and yet incorporated into art it is deemed acceptable for public showcasing. It's the use of such which can turn things inappropriate.

League is a game that is highly artistic, while some aspects of it can be deemed slightly sexual, it in no way can be construed as pornography.

And as already said, the ToS already points out that the game is not appropriate for people under a certain age. That no one reads the ToS is the fault of the end-user, not the company.

I work for a company that sells video games and related products, we get people coming in with their clearly still-in-single-digits-for-age to preteen children asking for Far Cry 3, Grand Theft Auto IV, and other games with high amounts of sexual content and full on nudity (and we're not talking the artistic kind). We always make the parent/guardian aware of the game's content. I'd like to say that the kids get the game about 85% of the time, about 60% of the time with a stern look from parent to child and a grudging acceptance, 40% of the time a shrug accompanied by, "It's nothing they haven't seen before/they have plenty of games like that."

There's much worse out there, yet people are still willing to put it in the hands of their children. As long as their made aware of it, what's the issue? It's up to the parent to decide whether or not to let their child be exposed, the rest of us should not be censored because of it. And if the parent decides not to look into what their kids are playing? Tough cookies, it's their own fault. The resources and information are there, they need to have a look for themselves.


Thank you for the well thought out post. I really appreciate what you said. It's a great point and totally relevant to what I was asking about.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darth Melkor

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
WarAngeI:
Your comment was the first one I actually took seriously. I don't try to scrutinize video games too much. If I don't like what I see in a game I just don't let my kids play them if I think they are going to be a bad influence. GTA is an example of one I didn't allow. This skin I wouldn't promote or let them have. We made the choice to homeschool our kids because of the behavior we see in public schools these days.

I guess everybody has a different moral compass and will think that what is put in games now a days is more generally accepted as "normal," or "not so bad." I grew up with friends who would giggle and want to show me what you could do in games like Duke Nukem 3D and Leisure Suit Larry. Back then, that was considered Adult Only type content.

I still consider LoL more of a family game anyway and will continue to play it with my kids because its fun. I am not legalistic in this regard at all. I never called for an instant removal of this skin or animation either in my OP so not sure why I got so much flame regarding that. I just wanted to know from somebody at Riot why they thought this was an appropriate or even made sense to have for a recall animation.


They're your kids so raise them however you want but just know that you're sheltering them hardcore so that when they are approaching their adult age, things will be very confusing to them. Eventually you wont be there all the time to hold their hand and explain everything so just keep this in mind. Nothing against you but this is the reality of things.


123