Halegrynn, the Sentry's Flight

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Omnifinity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

THE IDEAS BEHIND HALEGRYNN
-----------------------------------------------------
-CREDIT to Halagren.

Halagren:

Quote:
"I've always been a fan of griffins and would love to see one. I had tried to write up a concept myself a while back but didn't even post it due to the lack of quality, but maybe you can think of some good ideas. I was leaning more towards the champion being a griffon as opposed to a champion riding a griffin.

As for abilities I was thinking of having an ultimate which allows you to fly for a short period of time. While the ultimate was active melee champs would have a reduced chance to hit (due to the fact you are in the air), your movement speed would be increased, you would not be able to auto attack, and you other abilities would have an additional used.

For the Q I was thinking of an attack which passivly increases armour pen and when activated does increased damage with consecutive hits up to a cap (probably 3). While the ultimate is active you would latch on to an enemy champion and carry it for a few seconds. For the name I was thinking this could have something to do with it's talons.

The w could be a gap closer which ignores unit collision ( you go to them ) and slows the target for short time. While the ultimate is active you use to dash to target location on the ground dealing damage to enemy champions in a a certain radius from the target location. High damage to the champions it directly hits with a half second stun (using its talons again) and a short knock back with minimal damage to champions on the outer edge of the location (knock back with its wings)

I was thinking of a bite attack for the E which is just a high damage ability. While the ultimate is active the cooldown is reduced (to compensate for the lack of auto attacks) and you swoop towards the nearest enemy champ ( within a certain distance) and deal an amount of damage based on how long you have been air born (more damage the longer you have been in the air)

I couldn't think of an appropriate passive ability but I'm sure you could come up with a good one. I also couldn't think of a name but I was thinking it would probably fit best with Demacia."
-Honestly, ask Halagren. A vast majority of this concept was idealized by him. Even then though, it was quite a difficult process for me. While I jumped at the chance to bring light to a "griffin" champion to add to our roster, I hit a huge mental block whilst attempting to bring my own ideas to his kit. It was kind of an ugly time, so I don't exactly have a record of my thoughts. Also, appropriate ability icons were quite difficult to find this time around and were also a factor in such a delayed release.

Anyways, about Halegrynn: He's a semi-shapeshifting (in that his secondary abilities are during flight, not during a transformation), cooldown based champion designed to slowly trickle down his opponents health for his team while also offering a little crowd control when things get too feathered (ugh....). I had Galio in mind the majority of Halegrynn's development, not that their kits exactly mesh or anything. I just made him a friend

I present to you...

HALEGRYNN, THE SENTRY'S FLIGHT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

LORE:
Quote:
-A story somehow pertaining to Galio. It's time for someone to pay a little respect to the "Sentinel's Sorrow".

ROLE: Bruiser

ATTRIBUTES: Fighter, Melee

TAGS: Dash, Disabler, Interrupt, Knockback, No cost, "Shapeshifter", Taunt

SUMMARY:
Quote:
-Health goes a long way for Halegrynn as it not only allows him to survive longer in fights, but also increases his bonus attack speed after using Pounce/Swoop. With increased AS Halegrynn is able to use Carving Beak/Bird of Prey more often, lowering his opponents health even quicker.

-Halegrynn's general appearance is moreorless that of your standard griffin. Redeeming features are pewter cuffs clipped to the front of his wings, pewter rings around the base of each talon, and a chainmail "bib" draped over his back and neck.

-He fights for Demacia, using his sharp eyesight from the skies to scout while relatively unseen to potential invaders.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABILITIES:

Attachment 570096
[Passive] Keen Eyesight:
Quote:
With his powerful eyesight, Halegrynn sees through the ravages of war in his opponents defense, passively increasing his armor penetration.

• Armor Penetration: 7/14/21/28/35 percent at levels 1/5/9/13/17, respectively.
Attachment 570097
[Q] Carving Beak:
Quote:
Halegrynn quickly jabs at his opponent with his beak, dealing physical damage equal to a percentage of the target's current health.

Every basic attack reduces this CD by .5 seconds.

• Cooldown: 11/10/9/8/7 seconds
  • Current Health to Damage Ratio: 8/10/12/14/16%
Attachment 570098
[W] Pounce:
Quote:
Halegrynn leaps to his opponent, dealing physical damage and raising his attack speed for 3 seconds.

• Physical Damage: 70/85/100/115/130 (+70% of total AD)
  • Attack Speed Bonus: 20/24/28/32/36 percent (+1 percent per 200 bonus health)
Attachment 570099
[E] Warcry:
Quote:
Preparing to kill, Halegrynn extends his talons and lets out a shrill cry, increasing his chances of a critical strike and taunting everyone in a cone for .75 seconds.

• Cooldown: 17/16/15/14/13 seconds
  • Crit Chance: 10/15/20/25/30 percent
  • Cone Width: 75*
Attachment 570100
[R] Soar:
Quote:
Passive: Activating Q reduces Soar's cooldown by 1 second.

Active: Halegrynn spreads his wings and takes flight. While in flight, Halegrynn takes reduced damage from melee sources with the potential to dodge attacks, but takes 20% increased damage from AP abilites. Halegrynn also gains additional abilities with Soar active.

• Cooldown: 80/70/60 seconds
FLIGHT ABILITIES

Attachment 570102
[Q] Bird of Prey:
Quote:
Halegrynn assaults his target from the skies, dealing damage equal to a percentage of his target's missing health. Every basic attack reduces this CD by .5 seconds. Additionally, every time Halegrynn uses this ability it's CD is reduced by 1 second.

Alternatively, if Bird of Prey is used during Swoop, the target will be dealt damage based on 100% of Halegrynn's total AD and pushed back a fixed 350 units.

• Cooldown: 10/8.5/7/5.5/4 seconds
  • Missing Health to Damage Ratio: 8/10/12/14/16 percent
Attachment 570103
[W] Swoop:
Quote:
With great speed, Halegrynn sails to a targeted area, flapping up dust along the way. Enemies caught within the dust have reduced vision for 1.5 seconds.

After Halegrynn arrives at the location, his attack speed is increased for 4 seconds.

• Sight Reduction: 100/125/150 units
  • Attack Speed Bonus: 30/34/38/42/46 percent (+2 percent per 200 bonus health)
Attachment 570099
[E] Warcry:
Quote:
Preparing to kill, Halegrynn extends his talons and lets out a shrill cry, increasing his chances of a critical strike and taunting everyone in a small radius around him for .75 seconds.

• Cooldown: 14/13/12/11/10 seconds
  • Crit Chance: 20/25/30/35/40 percent
  • Radius: 150 units

STATS:
Quote:
-TBA

FINAL NOTES:
Quote:
-None currently.

REVISIONS:
Quote:
-None as of yet.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and happy creating!

Lastly, I take champion requests. If you have an idea that you would like made into a champion, share here. Credit will be given:

Halagren

12-07-2012

Ahh! Love this. Well done my friend.

Halagren

12-07-2012

bump for some reviews!

Kizuke21

12-07-2012

Dude that looks awesome! That would be so much fun to play!

Omnifinity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

Bump for number tweaks and fixed typos!

Moisty Lotion

12-08-2012

I really really like this character. The bird theme really fits in with his kit.

I'm just going to do a quick review of the abilities, since that's all you have for now.

The passive is really nice. Simple and useful, but not over the top. Many champion concepts go overboard with the passive doing way to much for the character.

The Q synergizes well with his ult's Q and I can see this happening in an actual match. Good on you! However, I'm curious to know if there is some base damage in this move. It should have base damage, or else it would do too little early game; almost negligible, and it would be impossible to execute someone with Carving Beak. A remedy is to add base damage, or add minimum damage.

The W, again, high synergy with his other skills. Not much to say here, although a ratio for AD and a ratio for HP in one skill strikes as odd.

The E's normal version is awesome. but I feel like the ult's version needs something added to it. As a suggestion, I think he should gain armor and magic resist while tauting in order to compensate for Soar's increased damage taken from magical attacks. It irks me though, that this skill does not have a different name between Soar and normal. Something like battlecry/warcry would suffice. Maybe screech/warcry. Just a small opinion, haha.

The R is pretty solid. However, for an ability that isn't "free-transform" like Nidalee, Swain, and Elise, he should gain some bonuses, especially since there is a con from using this skill. Take Shyvanna for example, she gains many bonuses while in dragon form. My suggestion is to increase his movement speed to gain an initiator quality to this skill. Also, the dodge quality is, in my opinion, game breaking but at the same time, unreliable. Leaving things up to chance is extremely unpredictable, which is why it was taken out.

The main problem is that there are abilities that aren't doing as much as they should, and there are some that just don't fit. For example, his passive encourages damage and being a bruiser. His W, E, and R have a tanky feel to it. It encourages the player to build HP because of the HP ratio. This is similar to Shen, but does the damage of a bruiser. It's just too ideal. There's my opinion on this champion.

If you'd like, I would appreciate if you reviewed my bird-themed AD carry, Lithe - The Bird's Envoy. Thanks!

Halagren

12-08-2012

bump for some more reviews

Omnifinity

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moisty Lotion View Post
The Q synergizes well with his ult's Q and I can see this happening in an actual match. Good on you! However, I'm curious to know if there is some base damage in this move. It should have base damage, or else it would do too little early game; almost negligible, and it would be impossible to execute someone with Carving Beak. A remedy is to add base damage, or add minimum damage.
This is something that I had considered and am glad you are addressing. I'll be adding in a base damage for him!

Quote:
The W, again, high synergy with his other skills. Not much to say here, although a ratio for AD and a ratio for HP in one skill strikes as odd.
I agree it's odd. I think I did that as a means of incorporating a really awkward hybrid mechanic....thing. I think...maybe I'll play with it if it's a bit too strange, haha.

Quote:
The E's normal version is awesome. but I feel like the ult's version needs something added to it. As a suggestion, I think he should gain armor and magic resist while tauting in order to compensate for Soar's increased damage taken from magical attacks. It irks me though, that this skill does not have a different name between Soar and normal. Something like battlecry/warcry would suffice. Maybe screech/warcry. Just a small opinion, haha.
Again, everything I considered. Using "Warcry" twice felt lazy and I didn't like the sound of "Screech". I didn't think of "Battlecry", though. Very similar but having difference. I'll use it concerning it's activation, I'm not sure if you noticed, but Soar's version uses a radial taunt and has an increase in crit chance. That said, defensive boosts make too much sense to not include, but ii may be too much in one ability.

Quote:
The R is pretty solid. However, for an ability that isn't "free-transform" like Nidalee, Swain, and Elise, he should gain some bonuses, especially since there is a con from using this skill. Take Shyvanna for example, she gains many bonuses while in dragon form. My suggestion is to increase his movement speed to gain an initiator quality to this skill. Also, the dodge quality is, in my opinion, game breaking but at the same time, unreliable. Leaving things up to chance is extremely unpredictable, which is why it was taken out.
You're pretty much addressing everything I had considered prior to releasing him, haha. I'll throw in a speed boost. I agree with your dodge statement as well and had something else in mind should it not go over to well

Quote:
The main problem is that there are abilities that aren't doing as much as they should, and there are some that just don't fit. For example, his passive encourages damage and being a bruiser. His W, E, and R have a tanky feel to it. It encourages the player to build HP because of the HP ratio. This is similar to Shen, but does the damage of a bruiser. It's just too ideal. There's my opinion on this champion.
Comments like these will help me grow as a concept designer. I neglected to consider how well everything functioned together and you stated it pretty well. I'll use this to fiddle with Halegrynn and if all seems lost, I'll use it for future ideas.

Quote:
If you'd like, I would appreciate if you reviewed my bird-themed AD carry, Lithe - The Bird's Envoy. Thanks!
Thank you very much for the review. I learned a bit ^_^ I'll definitely throw a review your way, but it will be a day or two. I'll have to forget Halegrynn's tweaks as well. If it doesn't come soon, shoot another reminder and I'll hurry on over.

Thanks again!

Halagren

12-11-2012

bump