is recommended rly way to go?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CwakaBR

12-05-2012

hi,

is there set items to buy for top lane ad/ap bruiser? i get brutalizer mostly after a few dorans sword

then mid items i get boots/3pots and like tome and either hp/mana or more dmg

then adc and support bot?

i know support bot i get gp10 items and wards and adc i try to rush pick and BF after boots.

how often do or should i sdtick to the many many different recommended items?

would it be bad if i do that? sometimes i see my team mates yelling because of that.

its hard to adjust to new setting and way things show. it make me justy want to click the recommend items and be done. i think this might be not so good rite?

ps i just play the weekly champs.

ty

Aquallix

12-05-2012

Normally you want to itemize according to the game. Dorans items are cost efficient items which enhance your early game power boosting sustain and damage.
The majority of the time you want to start boots and 3 health potions for sustain and movement speed, which will help you position better and escape ganks.
Generally the recommended items aren't too bad due to the S3 patch which helps new players itemize more efficiently. (feel free to ignore this advice as it is my opinion)
Honestly, the only way you will improve and itemize better is if you play more games. The amount of knowledge that you obtain from just watching better players play is invaluable. If you really want to improve on certain champions look up some guides on youtube.
Websites such as www.solomid.net give basic information on what to build, try to avoid mobafire guides as some guides are not very reliable.
In the end, as I stated before, the only way you will learn to choose the right items is to play more games and learn from your mistakes.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

12-06-2012

Recommended items are a good place to start, but they shouldn't the be all end all for your decisions. Other factors will come into play as you become more experienced, from guides, previous trial and error, witnessing other players (and then trying them out), as well as theory-crafting... You're still going to want to learn to react to individual games though.

RubenatorX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2012

Aquallix and Panzerfaust are entirely correct in all aspects.

The Recommended items in the past have been fairly questionable, but riot has updated the recommended items to fit into the meta. I have been pretty happy with what I have seen so far.
Unless you know what early game item is needed to go up against a particular champion, I'd say go ahead and buy the starting items, and as Aqua said, look up some guides and counters for specific champions. Sometimes while the game is loading I'll even just do a quick google of "morgana vs lux" and read what people have to say about how I can beat lux as morgana.
Essential items are basically a simplified version of what you need to be effective in the early/middle of the game so in general you will be buying those.
choosing offensive and defensive items is something you must learn over time. Knowing your opponent is at least half the battle for new players. As you get to know what kind of damage they deal and what kind of crowd control they have, you will learn what defensive/offensive items you need to buy.

TL;DR: the new recommended items are generally fine, but read and watch what better players do and you will get better faster, and eventually have enough knowledge to make item decisions yourself. (PS, if they are raging at you they are likely not better, or they are just having a bad day)

As for top lane, if you are solo, items will greatly depend on who your lane opponent is, and what they are buying (probably more so than any other lane). Do research on your lane matchup to find out what will help you get an edge. And sometimes, you just gotta hunker down right in front of your tower (learn how to freeze your lane).

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25

12-06-2012

Sometimes yes for some items, sometimes no. Depends on the champ and the item recommended. Some champs have a few items that you'd actually want, that are recommended, some other champs don't.

Best thing to do is understand your champions kit, how things work how the items work as a whole, and make decisions for yourself. Not just be a sheep and do things cause a pro player did it. Watching a few pro player games, could spark some ideas faster though, but don't use that as the all deciding factor on how you think you should build the champ.

Now if riot hides alot of info needed for you to make your own decisions, then you can't do this. But I am sure everything is clearly outlined at a reliable source. I played one PVP game called deadly neighbors 2 where you'd never know the champions damage or health until you were actually in game testing them, there was no place to look this stuff up, you can't make your own decisions if a game does that. Thus I didn't want to test the entire game just to find out the stats of the different classes.

FaceRoll13

12-06-2012

The recommended item lists seem better right now, than at the end of last season.

Do they change the lists when they nerf items and champions?

Minakie

12-07-2012

Recommended items are good for new players, that are still exploring the game and the items and figuring out how everything works, but after reading a few guides, watching some champion's spotlights and making a few experiments of your own, you'll have your own custom builds in no time.