Champion Auditions - Thresh, the Chain Warden

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryugi Kazamaru

01-29-2013

These Auditions will be run using the guidelines set forth HERE, except for one small change. First, however, if you are auditioning for Thresh, please read them and understand what you're getting yourself into.

PLEASE DO NOT EXPRESS YOUR INTEREST IN JOINING UNTIL YOU HAVE A SMURF!!

This will protect your identity to keep things equal and devoid of favoritism.

Also, please don't RP with your smurfs until a winner is selected!

Welcome to the Thresh Champion Auditions!

This thread should be self-explanatory, but for those of you who are new to the process, let me break it down. First, please start by reading the guidelines linked above. That will help explain the process a little better. Assuming you've already done that, I'll cut to the chase. This is where the magic will happen. "Smurf" accounts that want to have a chance to portray Thresh will post in this thread, announcing their intent to compete. They will then be listed in the main post here.

Once we have a list of the candidates, we will go about the audition, voting, and judging process. Rather than cluttering the forums with multiple threads, the gathering of applicants will be done in this thread, as well as the submissions. When we're sure we have all the applicants, the process of submissions can begin. For ease, please post all Questions/tasks together in a single post for your audition if possible. This will make it much easier to keep track of all the submissions. As they come in, we'll attempt to link them next to the names of the applicants for easy access.

The questions and tasks for the auditions can be seen below, so prospective applicants can get their creative juices flowing or even start working on their submissions before they can submit them. However, please don't submit early. The status of the auditions will be updated as time goes along, so check back now and again to see how we're progressing!

****** CURRENT STATUS: ACCEPTING AUDITIONS!! ******

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Questions/Tasks:

1) Traditionally, "League Judgments" were asked to be created for a champion. However, while entertaining to a degree, they lack the true weight of the actual situation.

Your main task is to write out how Thresh came to be. Obviously we know he was once a cruel jailer and torturer who loved chains. However, this is a vital aspect of where he came from, and thus, you should be able to get into his head and show us just how depraved he was back then, and how he became what he is now. As long as he arrives at the destination of his current Riot Lore, feel free to develop him as a character. This is a prime opportunity to surprise us with your creativity, and allow him to sneak up on us with artistic flavor. Show us YOUR Thresh that you will portray on the forums as a character.

2) Next, imagine our friend Ram Steed, now working as an independent journalist since the collapse of the Journal of Justice, has ventured to the Institute and braved the grip of the chains to speak with Thresh, so he can bring the truth of things to the public eye. Express your views (In character and in Interview Format!) on Yorick, Nocturne, and Karthus. However, Ram Steed has also decided to ask Thresh about a "Fourth Champion." As the RPer, it is your job to choose this 4th Champion. Your reasoning for this choice should be contained in a small explanation below this part of the submission. Think about how Thresh speaking about this champion could reveal something about him as a character. This is yet another chance to surprise us with your insight into the ghostly mind of Thresh, and who he is as a "person".

Bonus: Once more, we won't be asking about a Breakfast of Champions. I don't think "souls" counts as a food, unless you're Ahri, perhaps. Anyway, for this task, give us an example of Thresh in his prime, before he joined the League. Write a tale about Thresh from the perspective of one of his victims. What can you tell us about Thresh's ghostly stalking, and how can you use this to better show his personality? Now, clearly, this is a bonus question, but I would suggest going through the difficulty to prepare it. After all, the more material the community has, and we have as judges, the more accurately they can vote for their opinion of most accurate portrayal. As a bonus question, this doesn't have to be as long as the other submission, but this is a look into how you want others to see Thresh in your portrayal. So, the more material and insight, the better!

PRIMARY JUDGES
Ryugi Kazamaru "Kaz"
Ask the Herald
Ask the Lunari

BACKUP JUDGE
AskKarthus

In the event that one of the Primary Judges cannot take part in the judging of submissions, if it comes to that, AskKarthus will take their place.

Participants:
Ask Thresh
Ask the Chains

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Ask Thresh

01-29-2013

I will eagerly take up this challenge.

Ryugi Kazamaru

01-29-2013

Added~

Ask the Lunari

01-29-2013

*Whistles Jeopardy Theme LoL style as we await both the pieces & other participants.*

SmileyDemon

01-29-2013

Sure ill go for it but do we really need to make a smurf? I've seen others do ask threads without one.

Leo the yordle

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyDemon View Post
Sure ill go for it but do we really need to make a smurf? I've seen others do ask threads without one.
Putting in an audition as a known RPer would probably encourage some bias in the voting.

SmileyDemon

01-29-2013

To the best of my knowledge I know none of the judges and as for if they know me I cannot say. I normally avoid ask threads and only stay within original RP's. I just liked Thresh and thought I'd try out.

Ask the Lunari

01-29-2013

Im apparently the most unbiased person on the forums from what I've heard, I've seen you around but that doesnt bother as long as the content is good.

That doesnt stop others from trying as well, so give it a go...... just dont tell us you own that smurf~ ((Just to keep it safe... as there are still alot of hawks around here >_>))

SmileyDemon

01-29-2013

((Well here's some of what I've done so far. I am connecting the backstory with the bonus objective and will do the interview separately. I am still in the process of finishing this part I just wanted to post it really on the first page.))

Crime Scene

Caitlyn stood over a dead body that was surrounded by investigators. The crime scene was a messy one as the suspect had seemingly committed suicide with a broken piece of glass. She would not have arrived to such a scene normally but was requested by the investigator in charge to assist upon discovery of a confession on the suspects corpse. The investigator handed the bloodstained letter to Caitlyn who began to read it immediately.

The clanging started two weeks ago. Ever sense I exited that foul prison in Noxus I have been hounded and hunted by the unbearable clinking of the chains. They followed me all the way back to Piltover and even now, as I write, they rattle ceaselessly. At the edges of my vision I would see them too! The cruel links of metal, clear as day, but just as my gaze would settle on them would they vanish, but do not dismiss them as mere figments of a terrified mind. They are very real.They must be, for the baby saw them too! I have told others of the chains and they dismiss me as a madman. Even my friends simply claim that the prison changed me, that they fear for my sanity! Why my brother outright refused my requests for lodging at his house with his family, branding me a criminal. Even as I pleaded with him, starving and homeless after my captivity in the Noxian prison he turned me away. As he closed the door to his home however, a dark power descended upon my mind, but looking back I question if it was only trying to help me silence the chains. For even stranger still the clanging that had been haunting me stopped, a brief respite to my phantasmic torment. I lunged at the door and slammed my brother away basking in the serenity of silence given to me. I fell upon him at once smiling as I enclosed my hands upon his neck. He screamed only once, but blessedly his significant other was a sound sleeper. I held his throat tight as the life ebbed from his eyes drunk upon the silence gifted to me but as his struggles ceased and breathing shallowed the droning clang of the chains began again at the edge of my hearing. Horror replaced my peaceful thoughts but I took some comfort in now knowing the secret. That the chains required deaths for their silence. Armed with this knowledge, I grabbed a knife from the kitchen before ascending the stairs. Thoughts of food far from my mind now,the blood tithe for the silence is all that mattered.

I saw them clearly now as I entered the bedroom. They hung from the ceiling and swayed slowly from a phantasmal wind. The clinging was louder now, but I knew how to silence it and the chains knew that I knew! They parted for me without much clatter as I approached the bedside, my brother’s wife fast asleep as if she could not hear the clanging of the chains. I knew that I too would feel such peace if but for a short while. After this greedy thought crossed my brain I stabbed wildly at her chest, gory crimson covering the knife as I paid for the silence with each wound inflicted. Indeed my efforts caused the maddening sound of the chains to lessen making me quicken my exertions from sheer expectancy of the pure, blissful silence.

I was well rewarded. The chains gifted me their silence and for the first time in nine days I slept soundly upon a bed of crimson. Such bliss was not meant to last however, as hours later I awoke again to the demanding clinging and clanking of the chains.

It was close to midnight now as I rose shaking wildly trying to cover my ear’s from the droning of the chains.It was then I think that I first saw my brother again. He entered the room passing through the black chains that hanged from the ceiling as if they weren’t there. I was about to plead for him to forgive me but a smile is all that answered my pleas and somehow I think that was worse. He beckoned me with a soft but firm hand to rise from the blood soaked bed. I questioned him but was silenced as the chains increased their undulations. Reluctantly I took his ghastly hand. No sooner had I touched him did the chains cease there clatter; being replaced by the soft whimper of a baby. I looked to my brother who wordlessly nodded.

I followed my brother to his sons room who was a small thing, only a handful of months old. The certainty that once came with the silence did not return as I stood looking down upon the crying infant. I knew what must be done but some part of me knew the depths I would have to plunge to satisfy the chains. The chains seemed to know this because they began their mad chorus once more. As I looked about the room I found that my brother had left me and the chains now hung from the ceiling. As my mind tried to convince me of the validity of my actions the clanging of the chains crescendoed ever higher throughout the room. Surprisingly the baby seemed to also hear the chains and only increased the volume of its own crying in response. I raked my fingers upon my head trying to drown out the sound in pain but to no avail. The baby looked at me through its vocalizations and ignited something powerful inside me, a well of humanity that I thought the chains had long since dried up. A wave of realization overcame me bringing the horror’s of my actions to mind.

So I ran.

I ran from the room and house, screaming at the top of my lungs and even still the chains followed me. Even outside they hung from nothing to demand the sacrifice that I had denied them. Lights from adjoining houses alighted as I surged through the jungle of clanging metal. I ran like this for an unknowable amount of time before stopping in an alley between two closed stores. For whatever reason the chains had left this small alley barren. They are all with me now as I sit shaking here, upon the grimy ground between two buildings. My brother, his wife and many others. Each soul a link in the chains. I settled down within this sanctuary with them for company and began to write out this confession and in rereading what I had written I know now why the chains had given me this safe harbor in their port.They still wished me to buy their silence.I alone can complete this transaction without any others being harmed from the greed of the chains. I will join the others now. We will become travelers to new realms of pain and silence indivisible. For death is the silence that lasts for eternity. I will buy this silence from the chains….forever.

As Caitlyn finished reading the note her keen sense of justice told her that more was afoot than the simple delusions of a disturbed individual. Taking the note for herself she left the crime scene, heading to her office at the Central Piltover Precinct. Upon one wall of her office was a cork board with pictures of various other victims of a killer she had started to call the Mind Flayer. Every victim was separated across hundreds of miles but all were connected by their content. All involved suicide, with the each suspect suffering from extraordinarily similar delusions.She took the letter and pinned it beside twelve others, their content nearly identical. At her wits end Caitlyn traced the latest killing upon a map that hung from the wall.The interconnecting lines began at Kalamanda and move slowly northeast, heading into Demacia before swinging up towards Piltover, before heading to Zaun then Noxus and finally Piltover again. Pondering over a pattern that her detective instincts told her existed Caitlyn resolved to seek additional help at the institute of war.

Five days later…

Caitlyn arrived at the institute of war without incident and after climbing up the stairs leading into the institute proper she stopped upon noticing a large crowd of summoners and visitors alike staring through a window that overlooked the league’s reflection chambers. Ever since the arrest of Heywan Relivash and Ralston Farnsley the league has made itself and its functions more opaque as to win back the trust of the people it defended. Many new regulations were implemented as to disallow such a conspiracy to happen again. Public reflections were but one of these changes. Approaching the crowd Caitlyn looked into the chamber she once braved, seeing a familiar sight to the sheriff. Animated within the magical room was the inside of a prison block. Even though it was illusionary the stench of hopelessness that issued from the view port disgusted her to no end and yet she was intrigued just as the others were to see what mind could birth such a dismal place. Caitlyn looked upon the grim faced prisoners who moaned within their cells as she observed, seemingly oblivious to their presence. Hopelessness was soon replaced with oppressive fear as a terrible clanging sound suddenly resounded beyond the illusionary cell block. Prisoners, real or not scrambled up from their misery to full alertness, moving as far away from the bars as possible. The clanging echoed across the cobblestone, with the beings footfalls falling in time with each clink. Then from the doorway appeared a simple jailor,twirling his keys upon his finger and whistling a lullaby. His face sported a soft smile and his keen eyes looked upon his flock with something akin to love.

The prisoners screamed as he entered and pressed themselves into the very wall wishing to escape from his gaze. The man continued on his slow path to the end of the cell block, stopping at the door of the last cell. Inside the singular prisoner scrambled across the sides of his cage, digging his hands into the cobblestone walls.

Still smiling the jailor opened the cage and stepped aside, holding the cage ajar. “You’re turn.” said the jailor beckoning to the prisoner with his hand. The prisoner seemed to flinch at every little movement made by the jailor and did not move.

After seeing that his command was not followed the jailor whistled sharply, being answered by two loud canine barks.

Ask Thresh

01-29-2013

So, when do we begin this most exciting endeavor?

12345 ... 7