@Riot so about Caitlyn's Nemesis....

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dat Asian Gurl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash Sendai View Post
So you wouldn't play LoL if it didn't have any Lore?

Wow that sounds like a good idea
I wouldn't.

I like my games with storyline of some sort or backgrounding for the characters that I can use/talk to/fight.

In fact, I would probably just read books instead of play games, especially if all of them had no lore whatsoever.

Good gameplay makes good games. Great gameplay makes great games. But great gameplay and great lore make for amazing games.

EDIT: If you still don't get what I mean, then you obviously only play games for the gameplay -- which is fine. But I don't think you realize the impact lore HAS on the gameplay, along with how it SHAPES it.

Roccano

12-07-2012

Quote:
Haters can keep on hating

Lore is still a hinderance to the game.

It's no coincidence that once the Lore department got cut and designers stopped being subjected to fitting into the Lore, we've seen a significant improvement on champion asthetics
Because Lore is such a hindrance to Tekken,
Because Lore is such a hindrance to Street Fighter
Because Lore is such a hindrance to Mortal Combat
Because Lore is such a hindrance to Guild Wars
Because Lore is such a hindrance to Dota and Dota 2
Because Lore is such a hindrance to HoN

Oh, and soul caliber.

Dash Sendai

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Asian Gurl View Post
I wouldn't.

I like my games with storyline of some sort or backgrounding for the characters that I can use/talk to/fight.

In fact, I would probably just read books instead of play games, especially if all of them had no lore whatsoever.

Good gameplay makes good games. Great gameplay makes great games. But great gameplay and great lore make for amazing games.

EDIT: If you still don't get what I mean, then you obviously only play games for the gameplay -- which is fine. But I don't think you realize the impact lore HAS on the gameplay, along with how it SHAPES it.
If games had no Lore you'd just read books? Yeah this makes sense how?

I take pity on you as that is fairly sad.

Dat Asian Gurl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

Quote:
If games had no Lore you'd just read books? Yeah this makes sense how?

I take pity on you as that is fairly sad.
No, sir. I take pity on you because you are not capable of appreciating lore.

EDIT: To respond to your edit.

Books will fuel the imagination. Same with lore. It also keeps games from getting bland.

Would you like this game to be with numbers on labeled abilities and coordinates on a coordinate plane? That's how playing with absolutely no lore is like.

So no. Lore is essential to games. Good lore isn't essential, but the foundations for it are. This is also the reason why Dungeons and Dragons is popular. This is why people like Fable. This is why people liked the Final Fantasy game series. This is why people play MMOs and RPGs and other such games.

Your argument is becoming more hole-filled than before. And I find it just as ignorant.

Famöus

12-07-2012

LoL Character Lore is more complicated than Legend Of Zelda's timeliee...Hopefully more light is shed on certain character lores in the future..

Dash Sendai

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Asian Gurl View Post
No, sir. I take pity on you because you are not capable of appreciating lore.

EDIT: To respond to your edit.

Books will fuel the imagination. Same with lore. It also keeps games from getting bland.

Would you like this game to be with numbers on labeled abilities and coordinates on a coordinate plane? That's how playing with absolutely no lore is like.

So no. Lore is essential to games. Good lore isn't essential, but the foundations for it are. This is also the reason why Dungeons and Dragons is popular. This is why people like Fable. This is why people liked the Final Fantasy game series. This is why people play MMOs and RPGs and other such games.

Your argument is becoming more hole-filled than before. And I find it just as ignorant.
Notice none of the games you mentioned are best sellers.

People care about gameplay not Lore. Lore is only for a small portion of the gaming community less than 5% IF that.

Your perception on what a game is like without any Lore is completely false.

You're also confusing Lore with Plot

The fact that you compared a book to a video game already proves your argument has no merit at all.

Izzabelle

12-07-2012

Quote:
Notice none of the games you mentioned are best sellers.

People care about gameplay not Lore. Lore is only for a small portion of the gaming community less than 5% IF that.

Your perception on what a game is like without any Lore is completely false.

You're also confusing Lore with Plot

The fact that you compared a book to a video game already proves your argument has no merit at all.
Just so you know...

Lore determined Diana's character development. Her abilities, visual design, attitude, and community appeal were derived from the LORE she shared with Leona. Ultimately making Diana a richer and more rewarding champion to play as.

Also, the Embrace the Heresy marketing campaign (which was spur of the moment, and not originally planned for) gathered the immediate support of the community. For almost 2 weeks, everyone was interested in what made Diana ticked as a character. They wanted to know about her life prior to the League. They wanted to know about her interactions with others. And they wanted to know where she was going as a character.

You may not care about lore. And that's on you. But lore does lead to a richer and deeper experience as a player. It just has to be done right.

Claiming that lore has no place in any game, especially League, just makes you seem ignorant.

Feel free to continue your lore hate, just know it's just coming off as a little sad now.

Dash Sendai

12-07-2012

My argument stands

Darth Sheik

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Me too
Teemo avatar makes this post irrelevant.

Also, new champ's lore still not as good as Diana's.

LordRandomness

12-07-2012

Quote:
My argument stands
Your OPINION stands. Your argument achieves nothing: I am not convinced that the lore in any way DETRACTS from the game, mostly because reds have stated multiple times that different departments do different things. Dropping all the lore people doesn't give them more resources for use on champion development or anything.