Finally, A Non-Oversexualized "Cool" Female Champ

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KT Samurai

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytsfs View Post
Ok, I see now. In that case I could have responded better. We have very different positions.

Anyway, as someone who is very pro sexuality and pro equality I was just trying to say that non-canon sexualization of fantasy character like BBR is not a problem as long as the male counterparts are equally sexualized. And on that note, we really need to stick at least one of the men in a Chippendale skin.
I am also pro-sexuality and pro-equality but I have to disagree with you. Exploitation in all it's forms is not okay, even it's "equal" among all parties. Garen shouldn't be stripped down to his underwear just because it can be done. There's plenty of ways to make Garen look attractive without peeling off his clothes. Look at rugged Garen, that is one handsomely appealing man and is exactly the kind of thing I'd prefer to see when it comes to bringing out attractive traits in a character.

Arcane Azmadi

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenmar View Post
...AND.....

Rule 34 Vi....DONE!

Enjoy internet!
Uh, can't see it yet, and I have the LoL Rule 34 page permanently bookmarked and check it several times daily. Nothing of Vi there yet.

Ira et Tolio

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

Not only that.....BUT OMG YOU FINALLY MADE A BOXING CHAMPION! Move over Angus, we got a new puncher in town.

Jynetik

12-07-2012

@IronStylus

Hey there, any chance you could talk to us about how splash art for champions is developed? Is it done by the concept artist? Before / After / During principal modeling / development for the character? How are inconsistencies between the champion model and the splash art resolved? Etc...

exe3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

I don't like her sorry. I'm as happy as the next person for a non overly sexualized female champion I just wish she actually looked like she belonged in the League of Legends universe. As it stands she'd fit great in any number of cyberpunk IP's but not League of Legends.

Super Explosion

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
This, right here, is how one constructs a counterpoint. All of the other "nuh uh ur wrong lel" **** can go away, because somebody finally actually addressed a thing.

I'd provide a rebuttal, but I'm too busy being impressed and tired.
Consider:

Is Lee Sin 'sexualized'?

Now, is he 'sexy'?

Then consider:

Is Soraka 'sexualized'?

Is she 'sexy'?

Is it simply the showing of cleavage that you consider to be "sexualization", or is it any skin at all?

Do you find that this determination is swayed by your personal preferences?

Would you want all female characters to display no skin whatsoever, regardless of the character's personality and concept?

Really, the core to having characters of differing attractiveness metrics is one of variety and interest-- not enforcing a particular cultural 'standard' of 'decency'.

To make characters that people are attracted to in different ways, not to completely eliminate one of those ways.

I mean, to complain about Ashe, and then never mention Udyr/Lee Sin/Olaf.

Do you think women do not find them attractive?

But no, they are not "sexualized', they are men, right?

Try to look at these things wholistically-- making characters that are "sexy" is part of human existence, and not to be shunned or hidden away.

The issue is in saturation of only one kind of sexiness, to the detriment of all the others.

ZedekiahCromwell

12-07-2012

I have a response to how Vi will effect tanks upon release here:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...0#post32172890

Needless to say, I don't think it looks too good for the tanky guys.

DrTemptragon

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
Them not being real is besides the point, they're part of a larger social consciousness and a larger problem.

Tristana in a fire fighter outfit is a pretty harmless joke skin. I don't have a problem with joke skins as long as they're funny and not degrading an entire section of the human population, in this case women.

In this particular case I would argue that the bunny outfit was forced on Riven. I know, I know, she isn't a real person. But I think it's still significant. And I agree with you 100% that men don't escape such degradation unscathed when stuff like this happens.
Okay, given this and some of your other comments, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. For me, the placement of female characters in sexual outfits/poses/whatever it's exploitation so long as the character could conceivably volunteer into it. I don't think BBR crosses this line.

The exploitation comes in when every female character is placed in a posistion like that solely because they're female. If the entire cast of LoL were women for whom sexual attraction was a big deal/important part of their job/whatever, it still wouldn't be exploitative. Boring as hell and incredibly contrived, but okay.

However, I agree with you that this is a huge social problem and I'm honestly glad you seem very reasonable. :P Arguing on the internet usually leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

KT Samurai

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Consider:

Is Lee Sin 'sexualized'?

Now, is he 'sexy'?

Then consider:

Is Soraka 'sexualized'?

Is she 'sexy'?

Is it simply the showing of cleavage that you consider to be "sexualization", or is it any skin at all?

Do you find that this determination is swayed by your personal preferences?

Would you want all female characters to display no skin whatsoever, regardless of the character's personality and concept?

Really, the core issue to having characters of differing attractiveness metrics is one of variety and interest-- not enforcing a particular cultural 'standard' of 'decency'.

To make characters that people are attracted to in different ways, not to completely eliminate one of those ways.

I mean, to complain about Ashe, and then never mention Udyr/Lee Sin/Olaf.

Do you think women do not find them attractive?

But no, they are not "sexualized', they are men, right?

Try to look at these things wholistically-- making characters that are "sexy" is part of human existence, and not to be shunned or hidden away.

The issue is in saturation of only one kind of sexiness, to the detriment of all the others.
You're making a lot of weird assumptions to prove your point. How does Udyr, Lee Sin, and Olaf's design compare to what happens with Ashe? Those three champs exude a lot of character in their designs. I don't know if women find them attractive but I can't begin to understand how you think their situation is the same as Ashe's.

And something happening to a man does not make it autmmatically "okay" or something. Feminists are concerned with female rights, sure, but that doesn't mean they ignore men's rights.

I'm fairly certain the guy you're quoting is one of the people who is okay with "sexy" in this game. Miss Fortune, Katarina, and Cass are all designed with a very revealing sort of sexiness in mind and that's fine. It's when this is applied to too many female characters that there is a problem. Vi is a great departure from this strange social standard, which is why most of us whiny feminists are so happy to see her.

Wytsfs

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
I am also pro-sexuality and pro-equality but I have to disagree with you. Exploitation in all it's forms is not okay, even it's "equal" among all parties. Garen shouldn't be stripped down to his underwear just because it can be done. There's plenty of ways to make Garen look attractive without peeling off his clothes. Look at rugged Garen, that is one handsomely appealing man and is exactly the kind of thing I'd prefer to see when it comes to bringing out attractive traits in a character.
Similar, but not the same. I disagree that the exploitation of fictional beings is wrong. They're non-sapient/sentient objects.