Finally, A Non-Oversexualized "Cool" Female Champ

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krshna

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
lolwat

All the bolded champs in that list are either sexualized in their default portrait or in an alternate skin.
Of course they are sexualized, that's not the question. The question is whether or not they are OVER sexualized. Unless you are a quaker or a puritan, there is nothing wrong with ***. There is nothing wrong with being sexy. Many women are proud of being attractive and sexy, same for men.

If a female champion is attractive in their splash art, their in game model, in a skin, in their icon, that is no crime. It only becomes an issue when it's so sexualized that it's awkward, uncomfortable, distasteful. And none of the champions I named there fit that bill at all.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xCamero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

12-07-2012

This is a video of Vi's abilities with brief explanations! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuufXBR5qKs


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elite Midget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Nami is over sexualized. She's a sea creature yet for some reason she wants to show off her cleavage. Even though Fizz is naked at least he keeps his junk well hidden.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krshna

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
Are... are you kidding?

Akali has some impressive sideboob in an outfit that makes NO sense for a ninja assassin. Ashe is in skimpy pseudo-armor despite being from The Ice Place, and her cleavage is always on full display. Diana's one skin is a dominatrix outfit sans modesty. Irelia's skins are an exercise in escher-esque poses to show off T&A. Heartseeker Vayne is pretty obvious.

Lux recently had her back and neck broken, but she's not quite sexualized. Leona isn't, either. I'll grant you those.

The yordles + Annie are in the yordle category, same with the male yordles and Fizz. We've all come to understand that that's basically like a third gender.

Sejuani is in skimpy clothes like Ashe, and Cassi is sexualized WITH a lore justification. Shyvana shows a silly amount of skin for being a bruiser.

The only one left, really, is Anivia. So: Leona, Karma, Anivia, the yordles if you count 'em. No, hun, you're completely wrong here.

I'm sorry, but you seem to be confusing, sexual at all in any way shape or form, with over sexualized. You seem to be demonizing any champion being attractive or sexy in any way, which is a silly point of view reserved to pilgrims. This is a video game! I'm with you on some champions being overtly over sexualized. But if you think that Ashe or Sejuani are offensively sexy, then you are exposing yourself as a square and a prude.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rauron

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krshna View Post
Of course they are sexualized, that's not the question. The question is whether or not they are OVER sexualized. Unless you are a quaker or a puritan, there is nothing wrong with ***. There is nothing wrong with being sexy. Many women are proud of being attractive and sexy, same for men.

If a female champion is attractive in their splash art, their in game model, in a skin, in their icon, that is no crime. It only becomes an issue when it's so sexualized that it's awkward, uncomfortable, distasteful. And none of the champions I named there fit that bill at all.
I agree with your basic point that sexy can be completely fine. Cassi, MF, and Ahri are fantastic examples of this. However, many of the women you listed are wearing impractical clothing/armor for little perceivable reason, and often they're shown in poses that are impressively impractical for anything other than showing T&A. That's why they're problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Midget View Post
Nami is over sexualized. She's a sea creature yet for some reason she wants to show off her cleavage. Even though Fizz is naked at least he keeps his junk well hidden.
The chest fillet... it haunts me...

Edit: Since you're right above me, I'll go ahead and address your most recent point about Ashe and Sejuani. It's not that they're offensive. It's that they're wearing nothing that even approaches warm, yet the biggest thing we know about them is that they're all about cold. That severely detracts from their characterization. Hence, an issue.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JaFaR Ironclad

Senior Member

12-07-2012

This woman looks awesome. I think I can already guess what her premium skin will be. Something along the lines of "Battle Bot Vi".

While I'm guessing, I'm going to guess her login music aesthetic. Probably a lot of steam engine sound effects, a couple low waveform synths, about quarter = 120, and a very march-like chord progression and accompaniment. If anything is brought in to make it feel feminine, it'll probably be some solo viola; this isn't a soprano voice champion.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KT Samurai

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krshna View Post
Of course they are sexualized, that's not the question. The question is whether or not they are OVER sexualized. Unless you are a quaker or a puritan, there is nothing wrong with ***. There is nothing wrong with being sexy. Many women are proud of being attractive and sexy, same for men.

If a female champion is attractive in their splash art, their in game model, in a skin, in their icon, that is no crime. It only becomes an issue when it's so sexualized that it's awkward, uncomfortable, distasteful. And none of the champions I named there fit that bill at all.
This certainly is easier for you if you make up your own rules.

No one in their right mind is saying that sexiness or *** itself is wrong. What people like myself are worried about is companies like Riot pandering to baser instincts rather than tending to and cultivating believable, practical, and awesome champions who are sexy because of their theme and character. The problem almost always lies in how their artists choose to dress and pose them.

Ashe is a kick-ass character, but her wardrobe and personality suffer because of the dress and poses she's put in in most of her portraits. If she actually looked the part and her poses communicated who she is a little better than I would argue that that is a lot more attractive than bending her spine in weird ways just so she can thrust out her chest or butt or whatever.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wytsfs

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Midget View Post
Nami is over sexualized. She's a sea creature yet for some reason she wants to show off her cleavage. Even though Fizz is naked at least he keeps his junk well hidden.
Well she is naked, she'd be showing it off even without the oddly designed chest fins. But, that in no way makes her oversexualized.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chumbler

Senior Member

12-07-2012

^^^^ You're trying really hard to ignore that she was intentionally designed to be showing off her rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krshna View Post
I'm sorry, but you seem to be confusing, sexual at all in any way shape or form, with over sexualized. You seem to be demonizing any champion being attractive or sexy in any way, which is a silly point of view reserved to pilgrims. This is a video game! I'm with you on some champions being overtly over sexualized. But if you think that Ashe or Sejuani are offensively sexy, then you are exposing yourself as a square and a prude.
Sexualization when it is not appropriate to the context, theme, or general feel of the character or does not get past a suspension of disbelief test (which for fantasy is generally pretty damn lenient) is oversexualization. And no, "Is female" is not a sufficient context. *** and sexuality are not innately bad things. *** and sexuality become bad things when they are not appropriate to the environment.

There is no reason for Vi to be sexualized, and she isn't. Riot has learned that over time. Apparently much of the community still has a ways to go in that regard.

vvvv There is literally not a single person in these discussions who has ever said that a woman who acknowledges her sexual identity is a prostitute except for people who throw out that ridiculous strawman. Please stop acting like that's true. It isn't.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FirinUpMuhLazer

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Yeah I'm sorry, just a gotta a little carried away with my imagination of what was meant by gambit. Also didn't hold my tongue til I thought about it. I was thinking it had been so long since the last champ release that actually appealed to me, but then I remembered that Elise had only just been released and not only was she the kind of champ I was interested in (gothic horror... I'm also big on sexy females, and super kawaii cupcake cute characters like annie and lux...especially lux) but she was also incredibly fun kit and a great addition to the game.

I even like space marines... to an extent. It's just, I was kind of hoping that when this archtype was used, it would be much closer to Motoko from Ghost in the Shell, some one who is both extremely badass but also has that certain amount of charm and collected appeal in the middle of her gruffness, as opposed to a kind of more brutal less classy future soldier.... kind of thing. It's hard to describe I guess. But yeah, all we can do is wait and see I guess.

P.S. Sexy is still awesome, despite the extremely vocal group that thinks a woman is nothing more than a prostitute if there is any ackowledgement of their sexual identity. It's amazing how crazy it is here in America, where any sort of sexuality is seen as despicable. Just today my Gf talked to me about her art class, and when the teacher lectured about a photographer who took pictures of her childrens life, and some of the young childrens pictures had some nudity in it, the majority of the class said that it was disgusting and should be illegal because its child pornography. It's amazing to me that they want to take away a persons ability to make a permanant picture of all the silly things that children do.