Matchmaking and Elo inquiry: New teams

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Clemroc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2012

For a moment now I've been wondering on how does the elo work for players who create a new team from scratch in ranked 3s. So far, it would seem like the new team begins with the same elo as ANY new team, regardless of the players personal elo. This, in fact, creates quite a problem of unbalanced matchmaking.

Here's my story:
My teammates and I are/were all ranked gold in solo queue (roughly between 1450 and 1600 elo). We created a new team, and ended up with 1590 elo on this new team (10w/1l). Now 1590 is not surprisingly high, so we were surprised to play against an unranked/seeding team (who's score was 4/0 so far). To our great surprised, not only did we lose, but we got stomped hard...
To the find out that the players on the enemy team were diamond in solo queue last season, and are already platinum. Moreover, they also already have MULTIPLE teams of 3v3 with platinum and diamond rank. One could think "they're probably just team members"....well, no. These guys were the LEADERS of 3 ranked 3v3 teams that were already platinum or diamond.
The big question is: HOW DID WE END UP MATCHED against these people, who's level is FAR beyond ours???

Diamond elo is supposed to represent the top 0.05% players, while gold is like the top 15%? What explanation is there between this huge gap in the matchmaking system?

I understand the importance of fighting against stronger opponents, and like it since it's the best way to improve, but how can I improve when I just get stomped by people far above our level?

Sad thing is, we lost 40 elo (because that new team was seeding) instead of the regular 20....

TL;DR:
Players with HIGH solo queue elo and leaders of multiple ranked teams that are already high elo shouldn't play against "noobs" when making a new team. It is unfair and removes the fun.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Clemroc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2012

Update:
Played 2 games today, fought against diamond solos/people who already had platinum 3s AGAIN, lost again.
One of the team consisted of straight up THREE DIAMOND in the same team.
And the losses were -40 and -30 elo.

Is matchmaking broken this week? Or are we, humble gold players considered on their same level? Clearly, we aren't...