Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Vi, the Piltover Enforcer - Feedback Thread

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HellComet

12-16-2012

Tuesday, Please!

Estyss Eon

12-16-2012

A) Is Vi fun to play against and play as?
She's not fun to play against, freaky like leblanc in terms of
- farming and minding own business-
-Suddenly out of the bushes-
OH HEY HOWS IT GOING MISS.

However she is very fun to play against other people. Heh heh heh >:3 I enjoy throwing giant fists at things it is quite fun. And her passive makes it easier for me to judge when to last hit creeps.

B) Does Vi feel right when you play her?
Vi has good taunts but her grunts (in general) tend to annoy me after prolonged gameplay.

C) Is Vi someone you feel is worth bringing to a team?
Yeah, I think she'd be very useful in terms of tanking and dishing out damage and chasing that poor squishy enemy running away.

On a side note- Her face looks quite different to her splash art. Just my opinion.

Gadalar

12-17-2012

Quote:
Estyss Eon:
On a side note- Her face looks quite different to her splash art. Just my opinion.

It's the goggles man the goggles.

Sex King Shaco

12-17-2012

I feel like I don't have room for Zephyr in a normal build though I usually want to build something out of sheen as it works with her quite well. Suppose I could try to opt out for the frozen fist. I think with frozen mallet it might be a little overkill but it'd be silly how much sticking power you'd get haha.

After my last game though I feel like maxing Q even when jungling is really awesome. Even for setting up ganks you get that huge upfront burst damage if you land Q and let's face it usually if you whiff your Q you'll most likely not be getting E damage off. When I ganked in my last game I was able to put huge upfront burst that would either force a flash or get us a kill. The thing is her Q alone when she launches will make some people flash which is something I like.

The only major thing I'm questioning at this point is optimal runes for the jungle. Right now I'm running flat AD on my marks and Quints while everything else is standard jungle set. Flat ad helps clear fast more so then the extra attackspeed you'd get from marks. The extra AD also helps your early ganks if you land a Q. I've also tried movespeed quints and they are also a great option as we all know Vi has no real sticking power until she gets items. More testing is required but I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. Thanks for the great champ!

Edit ~ Scratch what I said about faster clear times. The flat attackspeed marks will help a lot on the first clear but going flat AD wouldn't hurt her to much. As I stated before it makes her early ganks a bit deadlier.

Drrak

12-17-2012

Quote:
gypsylord:
Patch notes:

W:
Reduced AD scaling to 1% per 35 AD (down from 1% per 30AD)

R:
Reduced base damage to 200/325/450 (down from 200/350/500)
R no longer applies denting blows.

So the nerf I'm guessing you guys are noticing the most is the removal of the denting blows stack on R. From a gameplay standpoint I really dislike this change. It majorly cuts into Vi's flow and combo feel. From a balance standpoint however we think it may be necessary as a way to tone down Vi's burst damage (WHICH WAS INSANELY HIGH) without having to make the bases on her W, E or R feel awful on their own. The reason she's bursting so hard right now is her ult basically guarantees that she will instantly proc denting blows. The combo is R, auto, E+W proc, Q, auto, E+W proc. That's a HUGE amount of burst. Removing the denting blows from the ult seems to solve this.

The question I have for you guys is this:
How unfun is it having denting blows removed from the ult? Do you want it back? If so, what would be a better feeling way to nerf Vi's burst in place of this change? Should we hit W base damage? W AD ratio? E damage? Base AD? What do you guys think?

The removal of denting blows has an enourmous impact in her attack flow , you should definetly bring it back, and the particles were awesome. Now her ult seems rather generic and weak compared to the last champions that came out. Darius and zed for example. It's very rewarding whenever you jump on someone with the ult and you kill them, and zed's ult opens plenty of escape/chase possibilitys for players with good reflexes.
Base Ad isn't low at all, W is already hard to stack beyond +2%, but since it's the last skill in most of player's scaling I wouldn't mind you making it into +1% per 40 ad or even 45
Edit: Also as some guy stated above me it'd be cool if you could change the on hit bonuses order into something like this

1st hit = nothing
2nd hit = has speed and armor reduced / Increases VI's speed and has oponnent's armor slightly reduced.
3rd hit = nothing
4th hit = reduces armor + deals % HP damage

In order to provide more possibilities whenever you're being chased while low, or chasing low health enemy champions you could turn around hit one of the enemys twice, throw a W and then run instead of simply running back to base. I also think you should have her movement speed reduced a little, since early on she can easily outburst squishys and get in their range very fast .

ArcaneumKiller

12-19-2012

I think Vi is a blast to play with I haven`t played against her yet, but she definitely can hold her own in a 1 vs 1 champion duel.

I find that her lack of life or defense at level 1 makes her easy to kill early on.

At level 18 with a good build she hit like a freight train and I love it, in fact she is now one of my top 3 character.

Definitely, someone taking Vi - means business if someone takes her in the opposite team be on your guard this is 1 of those character you most definitely do not want to lose sight of. Again, I'm having a blast playing that character. Love her!

coojw

12-20-2012

Her base attackspeed feels slow personally

Echous

12-22-2012

Quote:
Nabonidus:
Definately. She's got some gaping holes in her early game that are exploitable enough for her to have counters, but she turns into a beast late game. So I like her a little better than a lot of other popular bruisers, since she does have a 'tradeoff' stage.

Now, granted, I've only had the opportunity to play some custom games, so I've been testing builds and using the damage done/taken as a benchmark for efficiency.

Her animations feel spot on. Nothing to change on her.

After a lot of testing, I've come to the conclusion that building her quite a bit like Shyvana works best. As such, my build is:

Black Cleaver
Merc Treads
Wit's End
Frozen Fist
Frozen Heart
Frozen Mallet (Is it getting cold in here or is it just me?)

This build yielded the highest damage taken/damage done, as well as providing a great bit of utility. This build makes her tanky enough to wade through the front lines after prime targets, and offers 2 slowing components to offset her biggest weakness: Sticking power.
Wit's End. GOD this item is good for her. Attack speed for those sweet W procs? Check. MR? Double Check. Scaling MR during extended brawls? Triple Check. Working with Frozen mallet to ensure that if they want to get away, they BETTER have flash on the go? SO many checks.

• Blast Shield: This is her weakest point. As many have said, its uncontrollable nature makes it very lackluster, especially for someone with no sustain. There are 2 possible options to fix this: 1) Decrease the % shield, decrease the cooldown, if we were wanting this passive to be more trade-centric, or 2) Have her shield activate at 25% like Blitz's does, and work on a bank system where every so often the damage you deal is 'deposited' into the shield, if we wanted Vi to be more clutch-sustain-brawler.
  • Vault Breaker: This ability feels like a 2-edged sword. Sadly, the edge facing the user is sharper. The self-slow really cripples her a lot, and considering how little sticking power she has without items, this is a very bad thing. I can't really say I know what could be done here; possibly shorten the charge time? Or, decrease the damage and the cooldown, perhaps, turning into something more Akin to Xin's dash: A reliable sticking maneuver used strictly AS a sticking maneuver?
  • Denting Blows: This passive is Silver Bolts on Crack, and easily what makes Vi so awesome to me. It may not do true damage, but between the armor reduction from it AND Black Cleaver, it might as well be. I feel, perhaps, that the scaling on the % damage may be a little too high (I build her extremely tanky, yet can easily still get an easy 3-4% extra). Other Vi players might dislike me pointing that out, but I'd rather the scaling be adjusted now if need be, before the Nerf Wagon gets ahold of it and uses it to instigate some entire-kit nerfs.
I also agree with one of the other posters: She could definately use an indicator as to when she has the attack speed buff. Burst of steam,

or somesuch.

• Excessive Force: Nothing to say about this one. Good way to spread damage around in a teamfight, solid farming tool. It WOULD be handy, again, to have an indicator of when she has one or both charges ready, to offer the chance to juke or bait them out.
  • Assault and Battery: Terrible as an initiation, amazing as disruption. Overall, it's solid. Definately not an S-tier or even A-tier ult, but still solid. If anything needs looking at on it, probably the cooldown, which feels a little large even with CDR.

Her personality and voice feel fine, though the dance just looks a little clunky to me. Yes, I know what the dougie is. But for some reason the animation while she does it just looks...odd. Oh, and one other thing: she could have used a weeee bit more variety in her lines. It's almost as bad as Vladimir and his blood puns.

Me playing Vi: "No, Vi, I don't CARE what 'Vi' stands for. Please stop."

I feel that Vi will make a fine pick in some situations. For example, if your team wants a disruptive tank-buster in a tanky package, I believe she'll work fine. She's definately not what I'd call a "Safe every time" pick (which is good, because the last top to hold that title was Yorick, and we all know we want another Yorick, right?), but she has her place, and I'd certainly not deem her a 'rare pick', but rather a 'moderate situational pick'.

Just for the love of GOD, don't pick her against Teemo. Plz and thx.

I agree with all of this, and REALLY like your build, with how Vi is I had issues staying in lane and fights for to long, but with your build I'm able to take the poke in lane and not really care because of the tankiness this gives me early game. Though i rush phage before cleaver or brutilizer because i like the health. Thanks for the pointer!

RidleyBank

12-22-2012

Husband beater. I LOVE PLAYING HER.

Prizzles

12-23-2012

A) Is Vi fun to play against and play as? Yes to both
Is this a champion you enjoy playing? Yes, she is extremely fun
Is this a champion that you are okay having on the opposing team? Yes, she is a fun character to play against.
Do you feel there are ample opportunities for counterplay? Yes, as an opponent you have many opportunities to make timely plays to disrupt Vi's effectiveness
What aspects of her are frustrating? Her Q is interrupted / placed on cooldown by too many abilities/effects. If you start charging and the ability is interrupted by a silence or a stun I feel that you should get the cooldown back as you didn't actually use the ability. I don't know if this is working as intended but it is definitely very frustrating.
What aspects are really cool? Her E is incredibly cool. I like that you can use it to harass even when not in melee. Her R is very neat as well. "Get Dunked" haha.

B) Does Vi feel right when you play her? There are some quirks that are a bit frustrating. It can be difficult to deal consistent damage because her kit does not have any innate slows so they can just walk away from your harass. The only real "disruption" that you have is the short knockup on your Q if you hit it which allows you to get in maybe an AA and one E if you are lucky but other than that they just walk away and you find yourself waiting on your Q cooldown a lot.
Are her punches too sluggish? I noticed some graphic clipping on her regular AAs that feels a bit clunky but it isn't a major issue.
Too fast? No, they seem fine
What are you building? I believe she is a more viable jungler than a top laner (though I don't think she is a bad top laner) and recently tried jungling with Spirit of the Elder Lizard as a first item and it is really incredible on her. She benefits from everything that the item provides and I love that the E applies the DoT on all targets hit. That really helps her AoE damage in team fights. Other than that I like Phage > Frozen Mallet and then attack speed. I don't think she needs Black Cleaver due to her W but have seen a lot of people build it and don't think its wrong but I think she benefits more from Attack Speed.
Does it feel good on her? Yes
Should it feel good on her? I guess?
Are you hitting skills when you expect to hit them? Her Q is hard to land but when you do land it you can put out really good harass and trade with almost anyone. It is high risk though because if you miss it you lose a lot of your dmg in trades and often find yourself behind your target allowing them to deal a lot of harass to you.
Do her animations and particles look right? Yes
How are her sounds? Excellent
Is she too loud? No
Too quiet? No

C) Is Vi someone you feel is worth bringing to a team? I think she is a really strong jungler. I feel there are a lot of better options for team fighting / chemistry if she top lanes. Her R is unreliable (seems like it is hard to get off in team fights if they have heavy CC) and her only isolation tool. One thing I've noticed is that if you aren't tanky enough you just R in and get bursted down quick before your team can respond.
Assuming she eventually hits a "balanced" state, when you see someone on your team pick her are you going to feel good about it? I definitely don't think she is a "bad" character but worry sometimes when she is top lane. I have seen her beat Darius and Irelia top lane but assuming equal skill I think those two characters beat Vi in lane.