Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Vi, the Piltover Enforcer - Feedback Thread

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enceph

Senior Recruiter

12-10-2012

When I first tried Vi earlier today, I was furious. I was angry that anything so OP could even come close to being released on the live servers. I've calmed down since then and while I still think Vi is ridiculously overpowered, I'm going to do my best to explain my reaction and give some suggestions so hopefully Vi can be brought to a more reasonable state.

My main problem with Vi is that there's no way to win a trade against her. Normally, when facing someone who does a lot of burst damage, the counterplay is to keep fighting after the burst. This doesn't work against Vi because the attack speed steroid and armor reduction from procing 3 stacks of Denting Blows make her even more dangerous after her initial burst. If you try to make a short trade instead, Blast Shield will mitigate most of your damage. Even if you manage to bait out her shield on a minion, Vi has 5 seconds to get to safety before the shield goes down. The combination of her burst damage, sustained damage, and shield make her too strong at trading.

On top of that, Vi's AoE lets her push too easily and gives her too much damage in team fights. If you're facing a great duelist like Poppy, at least you know that if she kills you or forces you out of lane she's going to have a lot of trouble getting the minion wave to your tower to push her advantage. Vi, on the other hand, can push minion waves almost instantly with a charged Vault Breaker and one or two Excessive Forces. And while it's bad enough that Vi can instantly burst down your AD carry in a team fight, the rest of your team shouldn't also almost die in the process from the AoE components of Excessive Force and Assault and Battery.

Suggestions:

1. Reduce the duration of Blast Shield. In lane, 5 seconds is far too long to wait to avoid wasting abilities on a shield. A 2 or 3 second shield would give Vi more counterplay in lane but still protect her from being bursted down in team fights. The strength of the shield may also need to be reduced.

2. Remove the attack speed bonus from Denting Blows. It gives ridiculous sustained damage because it makes Denting Blows synergize too well with itself, when every other active ability on Vi's kit already applies Denting Blows and thereby contributes to sustained damage. The attack speed bonus also doesn't make intuitive sense. When you build up stacks on an enemy, the effect should be on the enemy, like Vayne's Silver Bolts. When you build up stacks on yourself, the effect should be on yourself, like Volibear's Frenzy. It makes sense that popping stacks on an enemy deals bonus damage and reduces the armor of that enemy, but it doesn't make sense to give Vi herself an attack speed boost.

3. If you want to give Vi more sustained damage, as opposed to burst, the way I'd recommend would be to eliminate the charge stockpiling mechanic from Excessive Force, but give it a slightly shorter, regular CD. This reduces Vi's burst by preventing her from using excessive force twice in a short trade, but would give her more damage over a longer engagement through more auto attack resets and more Denting Blows procs. I get the "two fists two charges" idea, but I think it's contributing to Vi's burst problem.

4. Two changes to reduce her AoE: Make Vault Breaker do reduced damage for every enemy hit, similar to Varus's Piercing Arrow, and have excessive force deal less damage to enemies that are further away, similar to Tiamat. Another option would be to further reduce Vault Breaker's damage to minions and monsters. These changes would help limit Vi's pushing and reduce some of her AoE in team fights.

The nerfs I've suggested may seem extreme, but in my opinion Vi might still be overpowered after them.

TL;DR: Vi is too good at trading and deals too much AoE damage, given her strong single target burst and sustained damage. I'd suggest nerfing her shield, attack speed steroid, and AoE damage from Vault Breaker and Excessive Force.

Krystedez

12-10-2012

I like Enceph's reccomendations.

My only recc to make her less over powered is to make her racer skin less sexy and awesome.

anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odFwGE9q1A0

Vi is a VIable jungle.

>.>

(that was without smite and a sejauni huggin me the whole game cuz SHE wanted to play Vi lmfao.)

Konf

12-10-2012

A little off-topic (and not sure if anyone has posted this), but did anyone pay attention to the 'VI' tattoo on her face? Does that stand for her name? Or is it her mark (number 6) that represents her being a part of some group?

Shirai

12-10-2012

I have a bit of information for riot encase they need any more than this thread already has.

Her Q feels really smooth, and rewarding to land you hear the clunk and see them flying backwards the short distance oh man it feels good to land

Her W ehh, it could see it getting tinkered with a little bit, it feels a little missplaced

Her E WHAT A LOVELY AND PERFECT IDEA HOLY **** THIS ABILITY IS MY FAVOURITE IN THE WHOLE GAME

Her ultimate Oh man this one is so amazing, i love it you did a great job with her as a whole riot, you just need to adjust numbers.

But i have one issue with her.

Her E is the equivilent of an AD lichbane when she gets sheen/triforce/frozen fist i honestly feel it does way too much turret damage for such a low cd skill that effects turrets, stop making it proc sheen on them and it'll be perfect.

Its damage vs champions is fine, against turrets, no it's pretty broken xD

I've played her so much in the last few days and playing her/against her i see the raw destruction and how bad it feels to be against it, leave lane for 3 seconds, turret is 50% hp from max.

FlutterShen

12-10-2012

Okay, played a couple rounds with her and she is incredibly fun. Her Q feels very 'right' for her character, like a varus arrow except she decided screw arrows and launched herself from the bow instead.

Her W is... slow. I mean, really slow. Her natural attack speed and animation feel so slow that sometime I wondered if I was lagging. When laning with an ally champ I found myself constantly getting last hits taken away from me by them while trying to just get a rhythm with the W. No such luck, and I'm not even sure it was on purpose. It is REALLY hard to get started up, even with the Q giving a free stack. ( I tended to avoid Qing the minion wave first, because of its mana cost and its long cooldown.) I can't really say if it's overpowered, because I rarely felt like I got to use it until very late game.

The E is amazing, feels amazing, and is carnally satisfying with the visual graphics that follow. Excellent job. Damage was spot on in my opinion.

Her ultimate. Her ultimate makes me feel like Zangief. I don't know why but whenever I see it I feel like I'm German Suplexing someone to the ground. This ultimate is powerful, akin to nautilus' ultimate but at high speeds immediately. Don't touch this, ever.

SidDefinition

12-10-2012

A) Is Vi fun to play against and play as?
- Playing against can be bit of a pain..but since is she new I cant tell much
Playing her I can say she is really fun to play...I havent enjoyed a champ so much since Riven

B) Does Vi feel right when you play her?
I can She is made for me. Love champs that go in and beat the **** out of everyone.
I build mostly Armor pen(Black Clever, and Last), Tri, and Tiamat, some att speed, I need to experiment with her abit
Her animation are complete awesome.
Her sound is good. I like noisy champ like Riven, shouting every now and then

C) Is Vi someone you feel is worth bringing to a team?

CC
good CC is something Vi can bring with Q and R

Lucky Scars

12-10-2012

So overall Vi's voice lines are cool, but I have one suggestion. One of her lines is "Here I come to save the day..... or wreck it." I think this quote would be better without the second part. From a voice acting perspective, the pause seems a little too long and the tone of voice in the second one is so different that I often find myself thinking that this is a whole new quote, then realizing it goes with the first part. I think the quote would work better with her just saying the first part in the very non-chalant way that she does, as if she doesn't really care if she saves the day or not. I know her personality is rough around the edges, thats her whole point, but she's stil the Piltover Enforcer. She may not do things by the book, but she won't purposefully wreck them.

Bambouské

12-10-2012

Just tried her a couple of time, mostly playing jungle.

Is she fun to play ? **** yeah, i find her pretty close to riven and shyvana who are two of my favourite champs
Against ? good too when you're playing ranged champ since she excessively easy to kite at the moment. Not that good when you're playing melee champ, just as olaf or darius.

Does Vi feel right when you play her ?
In the jungle she's good at cleaning, not that fast but pretty safe.
However ganks are tough, she has only one cc which is slow and easy to dodge making her very easy to kite unlike shyvana or riven. When she gets in your face she can't really deal till she has a slowing item cause her attack animation is slow enough to allow your target to get away (and you'll never catch him again). Therefore when you'r ult is up the kill is guaranteed.

Her W is strong but it's monotarget and the fact that she relies on as and hp which are two stats that doesn't exist as the same time on an cheap item forces her to split into 2 items (i found that zephyr and FM are core on her) or to get to TFwhich isn't that cost efficient anymore (especially when jungling).

Her E is extremely fun and requires a bit of skill to be used perfectly to finish fleeing enemies. Though her slow attack animation hurts that spell a bit.

Finally i think she's fine right now but her attack animation should be a bit faster and mostly her Q should be more fluent. She should be able to cast it without stoping her movement (because of casting time) and the range should start increasing earlier, just as varus' Q.

Is Vi someone you feel is worth bringing to a team? She can be a good alternative to skarner since she can eleminate quickly a main target just as him, but she'll need a bit more fluidity.

TL; DR : fun to play, strong, but needs to be more fluent especially on her attack animation and her Q (or at least remove the "mobility" tag on you description on front page ).

Wafflestein

12-10-2012

Reading a couple of comments on her w's punching effect, that reminds me of one issue I was having. It is very difficult at times to tell how many stacks of her w are on a target among other particle effects. It would be great if they could have contrast increased so you can tell when there's more than minions around. I'm thinking of Vayne's silver bolt stacking - really easy to see. Might just be me and my slight colorblindness, but Vi's stacks seem kinda low contrast.
No other complaints though, definitely buying her on release. Always love me some bruisers and anticarries.

2112RuSh

12-10-2012

Anyone tried her support? I did it twice... it was a succes both times... tanky aggressive support. That shield lets her absorb damage with some armor runes, and at lvl 3 you just do: Falcon punch the enemy adc (q), AA, and Big Punch (e) that reduces armor (makes your adc deal awesome damage) and you already did alot of damage, also they will almost always focus you, After lvl 6 its: Ult, Falcon Punch, Big Punch. In teamfights you are the tank, initate with your ult on their adc, then Falcon Punch....