Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Vi, the Piltover Enforcer - Feedback Thread

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SaltyKracka

12-07-2012

Quote:
MrChunkz:
Is she a ranged AD carry? I'll be all over her if she is.
Quote:
gypsylord:
PUNCH.

EVERYTHING.

Yyyyyup. Totally a ranged AD Carry.

Nutmeg

12-07-2012

Right off the bat, Vi seems very strong, potentially even strong enough to keep up with high sustain top laners through good usage of her passive. Her E seems like a very good, high skill cap, way to poke in lane for little mana usage. Her W is good, and makes her a pretty decent duelist against high health bruisers. Her Q can be go either way tbh. If they catch you in lane and get behind you, it doesn't quite provide the escape that you would want, and the charge time is a great window for enemies to escape or get free poke off on you if you want to close the gap instead of run.
Covering the main points of the thread, Vi is rather fun and incredibly satisfying to play as. The mechanics of her set feel right for her, and the speed and motion of the punches feel rather realistic (all things considered). So far I've only played her as a more tanky bruiser (Frozen Heart and the like), and she played like the juggernaut that I had felt I had been building. She felt like someone who couldn't be brought down that easily, but who still manages to pull off good damage.
Personally, I don't see why she wouldn't be a good pick for SR. She can maintain a good level of tankiness while retaining damage potential, she can get to the back line fairly easily, ganking with her should be relatively easy, and she should be able to keep up with a good deal of top laners.
Also, props to the art team, Redline was a great movie and it's good to see such a well crafted homage to it.

CynicalGiant

12-07-2012

No disrespect to you GypsyLord, I actually like you as a rioter quite a bit, but I feel like Vi is just a male archetype or stereotype turned into a boyish female just to please people. Im assuming we are going to get tons of these until we are begging for ****s again.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-07-2012

Quote:
Vulking:
I have some conceptual issues with Vi energy source, her default skin scream STEAM POWERED ARMOR, yet is powered by this weird backpack emanating blue energy which is something that I expect from more advanced tech lie Pulsfire Ez.

Would you consider switching the energy source to steam on her default skin? Visually it fit way better, both in her design and in the tech level of runterra.

Her other skin looks fine with the red energy backpack since it look much more advanced that her default skin.

Thanks for doing exactly what you said you'd do =)

Dodo Torpedo

12-07-2012

Quote:
BluntRhino:
No disrespect to you GypsyLord, I actually like you as a rioter quite a bit, but I feel like Vi is just a male archetype or stereotype turned into a boyish female just to please people. Im assuming we are going to get tons of these until we are begging for ****s again.

People have been asking for a female bruiser for a while. One that looks like she could stand up to and go fist to fist with Jayce or Olaf. Now you are complaining that she isn't wearing skimpy clothes or has massive ****.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-07-2012

Quote:
BluntRhino:

Vi's development was done in a complete vacuum from those arguments. She developed holistically on her own. There was no catering. We will continue to do what is right for the individual character as was the case with Vi.

Soldier Wicked

12-07-2012

She is definitely quite different from the other female champions that have been realeased before here. Way to mix things up riot looking forward to it.

Mayor of Earth

12-07-2012

VI IS SO COOL. It's like you guys read my mind on every single thing I could ever want in a champion. Versatility, teamfight disruption, and AIR COMBOS. As someone who plays a lot of fighting games (and usually mains grapplers) this is pretty much the most awesome thing. Played a lot of Iron Tager in Blazblue, Zangief in Street Fighter, Haggar in MvC, etc. I've been waiting for a while for this kind of archetype and playstyle to get into league. Also a spunky female with neon hair happens to be one of my favorite things ever. You guys have one happy summoner on your hands. Looking forward to dunking many a carry in the weeks to come.

Dodo Torpedo

12-07-2012

Quote:
IronStylus:
Vi's development was done in a complete vacuum from those arguments. She developed holistically on her own. There was no catering. We will continue to do what is right for the individual character as was the case with Vi.

So is it safe to assume that her racer skin is inspired by the movie Redline? (Anime not that **** american movie)

Fr0sty

12-07-2012

Quote:
gypsylord:

A) Is Vi fun to play against and play as?
- Is this a champion you enjoy playing? Is this a champion that you are okay having on the opposing team? Do you feel there are ample opportunities for counterplay? What aspects of her are frustrating? What aspects are really cool?

B) Does Vi feel right when you play her?
-Are her punches too sluggish? Too fast? What are you building? Does it feel good on her? Should it feel good on her? Are you hitting skills when you expect to hit them? Do her animations and particles look right? How are her sounds? Is she too loud? Too quiet? etc.

C) Is Vi someone you feel is worth bringing to a team?
Assuming she eventually hits a "balanced" state, when you see someone on your team pick her are you going to feel good about it? Why or why not?

A)
Vi is really fun to play as. Her E, Excessive Force, is a strong AOE basic attack damage modifier for both of her gauntlets. Her W, Denting Blows, reminds me of Vayne's Silver Bolts (well, Vi feels like a bruiser rendition of Vayne but with more tricks but anyway..) Her Q, Vault Breaker, is alright, but I feel like it won't be used as a damage, but more as a quick CC or a fast, channeled escape over small walls (because you can't charge over big walls, even if the indicator exceeds the wall but I guess it's not long enough or something.)

Oh, and she dunks. A+ quality.

B)
Vi feels pretty solid as a champion. Playing her is not too bad -- her auto attacks seem a bit clunky, because of the animation or something, but I got used to it pretty quickly. Vault Breaker is pretty weird to use, because of the channel and moving around, but Varus players will probably be used to it. Her ultimate, Assault and Battery, has pretty good range on it, and has that dunk effect that's so satisfying.

I found that building tanky and CDR items work really well with her abilities. Since she feels kind of slow and doesn't have that much chasing power (aside from Vault Breaker and Assault and Battery), I decided that building something like a Phage or a Iceborn Gauntlet was fitting (I prefer the Iceborn Gauntlet because it's a much more consistent slow + gauntlets). I wanted to build defensive boots, Iceborn Gauntlet, Black Cleaver, Zephyr as core items, for cooldown reduction, tankiness, and armor penetration. I didn't build health because her passive didn't feel that noticeable, like Malphite's passive.

Her overall gameplay seems enjoyable, but I would feel like she'd be susceptible to crowd control and kiting because Vault Breaker isn't that good of a gap closer at its max range because of the slow you give yourself, which creates more distance between you and the target (pre-6, at least.) Excessive Force is a really good wave clearer, and I'd max that first for the damage and the fact it resets your auto attack timer.

C)
Since her ultimate is a diving-esque ability, I would feel like tanky items and going 21 points down the Defense tree would be most optimal because diving a squishy without much defense is suicide. She'd be an alright initiator, but she'd have to get pretty close, and I would assume a lot of enemy front lines would try and prevent her from diving/the carries would be far in the back from her range.

Vault Breaker and Denting Blows could be useful for peeling for ADC's, because it CC's the divers and reduces the target's armor, respectively. Her role can be similar to Xin Zhao, where they build pretty tanky with damage, and either jump their carry or protect their own.

My runes were AD quints and Marks, Armor Seals, and Magic Resist per level Glyphs. I went 9/21/0, going with the armor penetration mastery and a lot of damage reduction for solo lane bruiser. My tanky dps build would have been Ninja Tabi/Mercury Treads with the Captain enchantment, Iceborn Gauntlet, Black Cleaver, Warmog's, Zephyr, and GA. If I wanted to go more damage, I would substitute Iceborn Gauntlets with Trinity Force.

Quote:
gypsylord:
PS:
It's pronounced like the word "vie." (sounds like: "Vying for control&quot

More like viable, hehe.