2 Ways to Make the HUD Better

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

traveurysm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

I love the new HUD! 2 things I'd change:

Problem 1) Scoreboard items too small. The icons for items are so small that spotting some details - like boot enchantments - can be confusing. I squint every time I press tab.

Solution 1) Enlarge the items. The scoreboard neglects a lot of screen real estate. The items can be expanded to 50+% larger without changing the layout of the other elements.

While it would be more intrusive on the HUD, I'd love to see the item icons in the upper and lower left corners of the main screen a little bigger too.

Problem 2) Team panel is uninformative. The team portraits on the left side of the screen are vastly improved, but still lack some great information. My team often waits to initiate a fight until a certain player's ult is ready (like Amumu or Hecarim). The exact timing is important, which means late-game voice chat is full of verbal cooldown announcements. "When's your ult up?" "20 seconds."

Solution 2) Add an ult cooldown. I'd be perfectly happy with a tool tip when you mouse over the indicator light. Another player on my team suggested using the spectator team panel, and I wouldn't be averse to that.

necris14

12-05-2012

I agree with the extremely small icons thing. I don't really mind most of the changes, but man, why is everything so small all of a sudden? Lots of empty unused space floating around.

Elwin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2012

Upvoted, and I really would love to see a ult timer integrated into the team portrait panels.

boourns

UI Designer

12-06-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

The scoreboard item size did not change actually, but I did go back today and bump them up in size anyways since, as you observe, there's room to make them bigger. I think part of it is the unfamiliarity of the new S3 item icons

LadyAzalea

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
The scoreboard item size did not change actually, but I did go back today and bump them up in size anyways since, as you observe, there's room to make them bigger. I think part of it is the unfamiliarity of the new S3 item icons
Why not just get rid of that extra room all over the place? I think the extra room is what's making them seem small anyway. I'd prefer a shop display without so much wasted space and that doesn't take up so much of my screen.

I don't think they need to be bigger; that won't fix the major complaints of people saying the UI is too big.