Black Champions?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kavalus

12-15-2012

you know in a lot of lores in the game, take annie for example, that talk about the voodoo lands, i find it a perfect place for dark skineed people , but again riot is only focusing in ionia,demacia and noxus, oh and the void, i dont find any impairent for riot to eventualy release a black champ.

Sadistic Lulu

12-16-2012

poppy.

no wait, that doesn't count. maybe just the voice :w

EvilMerodach

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisDerpina View Post
poppy.

no wait, that doesn't count. maybe just the voice :w
Not sure if you're talking about race or sexualization, but either way, no.
Poppy is blue and a yordle, and a 12yo girl more or less. (I think lore wise she's an adult, but an adult yordle still looks like a kid..Teemo is an adult too)
As is Tristana, and Lulu.
Annie's human 12yo, though she is even mildly sexualized through skins (EG: prom queen)
Irelia and Riven are 14..ish, also sexualized through skins. (EG: bunny riven)
Irelia is probably the least sexualized, non-child, female champion in the game.
Better nerf her.

paulpowder

12-26-2012

This is all unsettling, but I feel for the person who posted.

Descriptions

12-28-2012

Tbh, this game needs a bit more diversity when it comes to the champions they release. And when I mean diversity I don't only just mean skin tone (We need more representation of the different creatures in the LoL lore, IE: Voidlings, Yordles, Mythical Beasts, Humanoid creatures, etc.) Though I feel for your plight.

Though I think you're coming from it in the wrong perspective. When an individual asks for a "black champion" what comes to mind to most of GD is the representation of the African American community potrayed through media and racial/stereotypical views that are held in our society today. So asking for a "black champion", is just going to draw in trolls and ignorant bigots who are just going to respond to the typical "durrhurr WuKong cuz he a monkey, get it n***er=monkey" and the witty Nocturne is the color black hue.

Also you must remember that concepts such as what is "Black" does not exist in LoL's world. The continents in our world do not exist in Runeterra, so things such as Asian, Africa, Europe, etc. do not exist. However this isn't an excuse for there not being a champion who is of a darker tone. (And anyone who says darker tone *black champs* can't exist because of this logic is ****ing retarded.)
Anyways, it was mentioned before by Morello that they would need a reason and something in the lore that would allow them to add a darker toned champ, if i remember correctly. (Which is unreasonable for them to have to create a new entire lore or tie in, just for 1 dark skinned champ). Also GypsyLord also stated how he wanted more diversity in the LoL roster. However I think the reason why League lacks much of darker toned champion is because Riot is to afraid to create the "token" black champ and have people offended and I also feel like most of the LoL community is to immature to handle a darker skinned champ.

tl;dr: League needs more diversity( in more ways than one). Concepts of our societies "Race" does not apply to LoL, which is the bases of most peoples argument against "black champs", and also leads to trolling, racism, Riots inability to act on it as these topics get downvoted to oblivion. Riot afraid of creating "token black."

Edit: I'm also curious on IronStylus views on diversity in LoL. He seems to be open minded, tackling the issue on female representation. And he's always active on those threads and responds to most threads that call for more well rounded female champs and such (though the thread ends up becoming more of Leona/ Diana fan club meeting). It's kind of discouraging when you see how Riot responds to everything except these threads on "skin tone/ color diversity" and just watch threads like these become downvoted to oblivion...
For a company who prides themselves in working with and listening to their fans/customers, it's disheartening to see them ignore a certain topic spoken by a certain community so strongly...

Fraxotic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-28-2012

i can imagine a black Sona. yo maybe we should have the option to change our champions skin colour! i know i'd set mine to be pink or something :P

Schwaka0

12-28-2012

I don't see an issue with having black champions, but in the end it's up to Riot.

First thing that came to mind was a champ like Barret from FF7 lol. Sounds like an awesome idea, but I think it would end up too much like Corki.

RebornMonk

12-30-2012

*cough* Karma *cough*

owlmazing

12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMerodach View Post
Irelia and Riven are 14..ish, also sexualized through skins. (EG: bunny riven)
Where do you get Riven being 14 from? i always thought she was around 20 or so.

Sminkle

01-01-2013

People say that Malzahar might be black.
I agree with the OP and I think Riot should also create less human champs and bring in YORDLE POWER *cough cough cough* I mean, make a diverse group of species and colors and skill sets. Just my opinion, but Riot does a pretty good job on creating hype on new champions.