First Warning From Tribunal, How To Improve Behavior?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Haljegh

12-05-2012

I received my first Warning from the Tribunal in my inbox a few weeks back, complete with a full Honor stripping from the account. I recall "raging" slightly more often in the weeks leading up to this warning (felt like every other game rather than 10%~). I reviewed the reform card myself and found at least one instance deserving of punishment, thus there is no need to post it publicly. I know that I am not always a nice and friendly player.

I realize this is a serious issue and wish to avoid further Punishments, but am unsure of how to do so. I no longer feel "safe" to express myself within a game for fear of punishment.

When players on my team make mistakes, I want to call them out for it and potentially guide them to improvement. Unfortunately, with limited attention/time resources, there isn't enough time to formulate a proper message during the game; typing out well-thought out message to the player is detrimental to my team's success as it would require my full attention during a game that requires constant input to succeed; this is not an option.

When someone AFKs, Leaves, or DCs, it makes me angry. All of the other players in a game must continue to play in a heavily unbalanced situation for the duration of an already ruined match and this is quite frustrating to me. When they come back into the game and have an attitude or feed, it does not help the situation.

I mostly play bot lane, the only lane where you're directly reliant on a teammate for your personal success for a majority of the game. I notice a lot of mistakes on my team's side throughout any given game, but lack the time to fully explain/discuss how the Summoner could play more properly.

If another player negatively provokes me, either by harassment, gloating, or by using other provoking methods, I am sure to respond negatively as well. If they continue harassment, I mute them but usually not until after I've said something punishable.

Yes, I use harsh language frequently and that isn't going to change any time soon; I'm an old man and there is a mature language filter for a reason. I realize this isn't an excuse for continuous harassment of other players with said language.

Since my warning, I don't even want to talk to my teammates. At this point, I feel like I'd be better off muting and ignoring my four teammates and their poor decisions in every single game rather than risk another warning or potential timeban; this seems like a pretty drastic reaction, and is definitely against the "spirit" of a co-operative game.

Do you guys have any suggestions that would help me avoid raging and/or criticizing my teammates? Could changing my preferred role to the barren wasteland of Top Lane (removing me from constantly having to rely on my Support/ADC) help? Is it ever going to be possible to feel free to express myself in-game again?

tl;dr - I ****ed up and don't want it to happen again. Please help me out, thanks for your time.

WingDingDingo

12-05-2012

You can only control your own behavior. You cannot control anyone else's behavior. Other people cannot control your behavior. People can be influenced, but no one has to do anything for any particular reason. League of Legends is a game that puts 10 real, living people in a scenario where 2 teams of 5 people are working against 5 other people. Everyone wants to win. Half of the people are going to lose, every time, without exception. You have about 2-5 minutes to meet your teammates, and you are going to have to play with them for 20-60 minutes. Most times you won't play with those players ever again.

Those are the facts. Think about that.

Now think about it again.

Statistically you have a 50% of winning any game. How do you win? Somewhere you have to tip that scale to even 51%. That means that you and your teammates have to exceed the abilities of your enemies. If you have 1 AFKer, or 1 Troll, or 1 player who is performing worse than their opponent, you're down to 40%. Statistically you are going to lose. But remember, your teammates are on your team and they are counting on you to help them win. They can't win without you either. With queue times and load they're invested to this particular game for 30 minutes before they can even surrender.

Some days the enemy team has this problem-- You win the match. Today it is your problem.

Now, the question is-- Do you want to play a game where you know it is unlikely that you are going to win? Do you get mad at other players for causing you to lose your likelihood of winning? Do you play the game anyway as though it were any other game? Is it important to you to treat people you don't know with respect?

If someone is harassing you, be it on your team, or the enemy team, remember-- someone has to lose, and everyone wants to win. Don't feel bad about playing poorly. Play to the best of your ability so that you know you've done all you can. If you have done your best, and you win, then the game was on your side this time. If you do your best and you lose, then the game wasn't on your side this time. That is the game you are playing. That is the same game everyone else is playing.

Haljegh

12-05-2012

Bump for more suggestions!

Haljegh

12-06-2012

Bump. Didn't rage today, but did have to put quite a few more trolls on ignore than usual.

Take one cs as support, die once early, or do anything that some random player on your team doesn't like and they start raging... Sigh.

Kuki

12-06-2012

When I usually review cases, I punish anyone that is spamming/putting down teammates in several instances. It just really upsets me to see someone putting down their own team, so I usually look for that first.

Also, I usually pardon anyone that gave legitimate advice to the players on their team, and tried very hard in the beginning but end up wanting to counter troll because of the stupidity of their team.. just don't, when anyone insults you, dont rebuttle because you probably want to fight back harder than they have. leave them alone, report them at the end, block them, and they wont play with you ever again.

fuzzyjon

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalous View Post
When I usually review cases, I punish anyone that is spamming/putting down teammates in several instances. It just really upsets me to see someone putting down their own team, so I usually look for that first.

Also, I usually pardon anyone that gave legitimate advice to the players on their team, and tried very hard in the beginning but end up wanting to counter troll because of the stupidity of their team.. just don't, when anyone insults you, dont rebuttle because you probably want to fight back harder than they have. leave them alone, report them at the end, block them, and they wont play with you ever again.

If someone says switch lanes you should never die to "X" as "X". Then they take it negatively and get MAD you should have a +1 not a ban IMO. The trib is more geared to banning verbally aggressive (not even harassing) players rather than true trolls who refuse to help their team.

If you want to stay out of trib, don't have more than 5 out of 25 bad games of 0-5. Seem nice, and don't say anything even if they are intentionally trolling you. DON'T even defend yourself just apologize or they might report you still. The ban system Is pretty weak right now and Trib will ban anyone they don't LIKE even if you didn't go against summoners code. Plus hitting punish over and over will actually net you a good rating so just shows what you can do to get good elo on the tribe.

Lord Ferret

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Haljegh

12-06-2012

"Don't be a jerk" is a great guideline for determining what is acceptable or unacceptable. I read that post and it was pretty obvious, but not really what I'm asking about.

I understand what is unacceptable, but I don't know how to avoid letting various in-game frustrations get me to that level where I start saying too many unacceptable things.

Lord Ferret

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2012

dont type them.
say them. scream them. just dont type them.

Have a pillow on hand. punch the pillow. Squeeze a stress ball.

you dont have to type anything at all.

Haljegh

12-06-2012

I can't just completely ignore the chat, and hiding chat completely would put me at a severe communication disadvantage.

Stress ball would not be conducive to skilled play, as it would remove my focus from the game. My first and last encounter with a stress ball was not successful either. I don't think I get physically upset, like wanting to hurt people or anything, but I do get quite frustrated with poor play and negative comments.

Lately, I've been ignoring players as soon as they show signs of being aggressive or harassing towards me and that seems to have helped a bit.