Skarner meant to get lots of kills?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GoodSir Banzo

12-05-2012

Is he?

I've been playing him for a few weeks, been doing pretty OK, but I noticed that I never get many kills (I'm not complaining here), and a lot of assists.

Is this the way Skarner is meant to be, or am I really bad?

iEloquence

12-05-2012

It's fine for Skarner to get kills. He's not a support/jungler, like Alistar, Amumu, or Nautilus

Any jungler that is not support can get a few kills (as long as you don't take every single one).

Jakeway

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2012

Nah I would rack him and Mao up there with support style jungle, early kills yeah maybe a few, but hand them off to people who will use them better.

Best Furry NA

12-06-2012

As someone who mains (2nd main) Skarner, and his first ranked 5v5 with him got Legendary...

Yes and no.

Skarner is a support/tank jungler. He builds tanky, cdr, and movespeed; his late game damage doesn't come from stats, but instead CDR making it so he can Q constantly.

Skarner shouldn't take kills, but should secure them. I have gotten the most kills in many games as Skarner, but optimally... You wouldn't. But it's fine really. Others should be glad they get assist gold.

first time Vayne

12-06-2012

I'm going to elaborate on Glacialwrath's post.

I don't main Skarner, but I do main some other supportish junglers (of which Skarner is one, by the way). Skarner, like them, can control a game if he gets a few early kills, enabling him to secure many more kills during the early/mid game for the team's damage-dealers.

That said, once he has his early lead, he needs to allocate the kills to the damage-dealers -- namely the AD and AP carries -- so they can shut down the enemy in team fights. Skarner is, as Glacial said, primarily a utility tank. he applies moderate damage by spamming Qs, but their main purpose is not the damage, as Glacial implied. Their purpose is to apply an aoe permaslow to the opposing team -- which is SO ANNOYING. In that respect, Skarner is a sort of peeler champ, preventing the opponents from reaching his carries and setting them up to perform their combos. He is also an initiator with his ulti or a flash-ulti combo, setting up quick advantages at the beginnings of team fights.

A Skarner with tons of kills is like a Shen with tons of kills. Or an Amumu...or Leona...or Darius...or Udyr...or Wukong. Yea, they're scary, and yea, they can mess you up in fights. Some are scarier than others, depending on their typical roles, but they are all easy to handle if the right precautions are taken, and they do not deal enough damage to carry a team without making themselves extremely vulnerable.

TLDR: Skarner should take a couple early kills because he becomes very capable of securing many, many more by controlling the later early game. But beyond that, a fed Skarner will never, never, ever carry a team to victory because he doesn't deal enough damage. Use him to control the laning phase and set up your carries for a strong mid game, and then build tanky so you can piss off the entire enemy team in team fights while your fed Vayne disintegrates them.

Shamino55

12-06-2012

I main skarner. I often get many more assists than kills.

Skarner has the tendency to cause people to run away, and skarner getting the kill depends on one thing, whether or not they are out of range of your Q. Most of the time if I'm right on top of the enemy, I get the kill, unless there is an atkspd adc next to me.