Foreign Language in the Tribunal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vonriel

12-06-2012

Or: Is it okay to report someone you don't understand?

I just got out of a game with a duo queue team, who called mid and top at the start and picked. No big deal, the rest of the team were pretty happy with the roles we had left. Then the game starts, and progresses, and things go poorly for me. A couple bad ganks, mid letting the enemy mid roam into my jungle and crush me a couple times, it winds up going very poorly for me.

However, the real meat of the situation was that I could repeatedly see them saying something about the jungle and Hecarim in either Spanish or Portuguese - having not studied Spanish, I can't tell the difference. It was pretty obvious they were talking about me right in front of me, in another language, expecting me to not understand. Further, due to comments they had also made in English, it made me believe they were saying some pretty negative things about me.

The person in top lane spoke very broken English, while the guy in mid lane had a pretty good grasp. Now, I don't condemn top for not knowing English, nor do I condemn him for wanting to play on the English servers. What bothers me is when two people use another language to screen for insulting a third person to their face.

Now, obviously by the tone of this post, I felt it was a report-worthy offense. However, if they do make it to the tribunal, I'm worried about a few things. Will people click pardon because they can't understand what was said? Or will enough people skip the case because they can't understand the text that the case gets thrown out? Or will people click punish because they were speaking in a foreign language on a native-English server, without regard to what was actually said? All of these are negative scenarios, because they violate the spirit of what we're trying to do with the tribunal.

Which I suppose brings me to the actual point I wanted to make. What checks are in place for chat logs that aren't entirely in English? How is it handled, both by the system itself, and the people judging? I know you're supposed to skip a case if you can't understand what was said, but what happens when a case gets skipped by a certain percentage of people?

Jrud

12-06-2012

I think most people either skip or use a translator on those cases.

I know that doesn't answer your question... but I know a LOT of people use translators because they hate skipping... skipping for some reason applies to your count for that day -_- so people try not to do it as much as possible.

nothingxs

Recruiter

12-06-2012

And using a translator is WRONG.

If you do NOT UNDERSTAND THE LANGUAGE, SKIP THE CASE!!!

Vonriel

12-06-2012

While reassuring to know, I'm still curious what happens to a case that sees a large volume of skips.

Lord Ferret

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonriel View Post
While reassuring to know, I'm still curious what happens to a case that sees a large volume of skips.
probably get viewed by a riot staff member.

LargeSnorlax

12-06-2012

Whenever there are cases that have reports for foreign language, I check a few things:

1) Is the person spamming in ALL CAPS FOR THE ENTIRE GAME AND FILLING UP 75% OF THE CHAT LOG?

2) Is the person saying broken english swearing like "fu ck noob" "team all fk noob" "fu ck ur mother all day all night" (one I actually got today)?

3) Is the person trolling and talking in all chat about how his team sucks?

If I can't understand the entire log, I'll just skip it - However, 95% of the time the person is also speaking in partial english and is obviously pissing off his team, or is obviously not doing anything, so a punish/pardon can be worked out from there.

Lilery

12-06-2012

What about if you understand just enough of the language to get the gist of what they're saying? (My comprehension for Spanish, for example, is pretty poor, but I can occasionally recognize when they're swearing at other people)

TenienDaithen

12-06-2012

My Spanish is terrible. I skip most of them but I know enough bad words to handle certain Spanish cases. I had a Spanish case the other day where they spent half of the game swearing at their team mates, calling them mother****ers amongst other things but all in Spanish.

There are a lot of Spanish speakers in NA though and those cases are handled.

Also, it's not an English server, it's the North American server.

It is possible they weren't insulting you though since you don't know the language.

Aametherar

12-06-2012

I notice people that speak English+ a foreign language always revert to their native tongue when spewing insults, I think they figure they can get away with it, they cant.

That being said people use a translator or skip, to be totally honest it's likely most use a translator. I think heavily skipped cases just take longer.

In general a translator shouldn't be used though as it can't show the context well enough IE directing the comments at someone or not.

Brazil Best Ever

12-06-2012

gringo's bann me for nonething