Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Looking to expand my knowledge

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Twilcario

12-06-2012

I'm slightly new to League of Legends, only played for about two months, and I'm looking for a good way to branch out. Right now I'm only that good at playing Support and I'm struggling to learn Top and I'm looking to at least learn every lane so I can have some more, general knowledge of the game. Are there any Champions that are what you could call "beginner friendly" champions that could help me learn the various lanes easily? And are there any guides to learning the individual lanes?

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25

12-06-2012

Want to expand knowledge? Go to LOL wiki learn the fine lines of how the game works.

Calling a champion beginner friendly to learn a role? Only thing to worry about is the prices, which 450 is easier to acquire thus beginner friendly. Any free to play champ in the rotation is free, thus beginner friendly. If you start out with a harder champ that can help or hurt you learn faster, it depends on you not the champ you are playing.

Guides? they help if you don't know what items do, and champs do and want to quickly jump into games. But honestly it is recommended you learn the finer lines of how the game works so you won't need guides and can problem solve and make snap decisions. Even LOL wiki on champ pages you can click the strategy tab to get a guide of the champ basically. Again it is not recommended to follow guides by heart. It is instead recommended to read the fine lines of their kits compare them to other champions you are interested in, and decide for yourself how you'd want to build them.

TehomCD

12-06-2012

I'd agree with what Damien said, and I'd add that they made a massive sweep of changes on Tuesday, making all previous guides very suspect. Essentially everyone is having to relearn the game to a degree going forward, so I'd encourage you to have fun and experiment with things.

GON the Mage Guy

12-06-2012

Watch videos, read guides, but most importantly, PLAY.

The in-game shop just changed, so there's a bit more to figure out and learn as far as items right now, but just try to absorb as much as you can.

Easier top lane champs: Warwick, Garen, Gangplank
Each of them have some sort of sustain and work a bit differently. Warwick can be built tanky, has his own lifesteal, and an ult that stops someone for a short period. Garen is manaless and regens health like mad when he's not being attacked. Gangplank will show you the importance of last hitting minions, as his Parrrley gives you more gold if you kill something with it.

Some general things to keep in mind that will help you learn:

Be paranoid.

If you can't see people, then they are probably out to get you. Buy wards, and place them when you can.

Buy wards.

It doesn't matter who you are, what lane you're playing. Buy them. More people placing wards = more sight on the map = better ability to see the other team to take them out, or run away. Wards wards wards.

Unless you're support, learn to last-hit minions.

What that means: killing a minion when it gets really low on health where you can kill it with one hit. Start a bot game with just you in it, and practice. Then practice controlling your lane by doing more or less damage to minions so you can learn to push, or let the enemy push.

Don't be afraid to leave your lane to help another lane.

If you're doing good and have several kills, spread it to other lanes. Push a lane up completely to the tower, and run to the next lane and help them.

Focus, focus, focus.

Most of the time, your team should be piling on one person, the damage dealer, usually the AD Carry first. Typically they are the ones killing your team, so deal with them first, then the people who can stop you from pushing, usually the jungler and support. Target the tank last, unless you're very very sure you can take them down quickly, and even then, probably not anywhere close to first.

If you have particular questions, don't hesitate to post them.

Minakie

12-07-2012

Quote:
GON the Mage Guy:
Be paranoid. If you can't see people, then they are probably out to get you. Buy wards, and place them when you can.

Buy wards. It doesn't matter who you are, what lane you're playing. Buy them. More people placing wards = more sight on the map = better ability to see the other team to take them out, or run away. Wards wards wards.

Don't be afraid to leave your lane to help another lane. If you're doing good and have several kills, spread it to other lanes. Push a lane up completely to the tower, and run to the next lane and help them.

Why don't I get to play with people with this kind of mentality? D:

Silyns

Recruiter

12-07-2012

I play 75% top lane with a jump to jungle when needed. Alot of the above posts are correct but I still think it would be nice to suggest a few champs.

Personally when my buddy finally talked me into playing LoL we sat and talked over the lanes and how they work so I could decide where and who I would enjoy playing. I started out top with Garen who is VERY user friendly and a solid starter champ. I'd also suggest Master Yi, Xin Zhao and and if your feeling up to it Teemo.

I've moved on to a more advanced selection of champs but really until you learn what it means to play the lane and how it can effect the game overall I think those would be a good start. I still jump on Garen once in a blue moon to get a few spins in. He was my first champion and everyone remembers their first. =P

P.S. Buy wards.... do it!

The Ranged AD

12-07-2012

If you wanna learn support o.0 add me =) I NEED ONE o.0 I can teach that pretty well =)

Twilcario

12-08-2012

@Damein and Tehmo

I plan on doing just that, playing and trying out things to see what works. So far it seems like the best things that work for me at least are champions that can stay out of the way while still contributing, like champions with traps, ranged attacks, and supports. I whole heartedly admit I don’t know the game and need to learn it and am happy taking a more passive route until I feel comfortable enough to engage with more aggressive champs.

@GON

Paranoia, I has it. >w< It only took one hard game of getting ganked top like crazy to give me a healthy dose of paranoia and caution. The only times I don’t buy a ton of wards are when I use a champion that has traps (like Nidalee and Teemo). Map coverage is important to avoiding ganks and keeping your wits about you. I will look into grabbing Warwick and Garen for learning Top better.

One thing that I have started doing is asking my team mates who to focus. I don’t know all of the champions very well yet, so I easily get surprised when seeing a champion for the first time. My first match against Akali was a nightmare early on, but once I figured out how her smokescreen worked, I started working around it. That said, I often ask my team mates who to focus, since most of them have a better idea of who causes the most chaos for us.

@Miakie

You should play with me then, I’m hyper paranoid. X”D Curse of being new, I try to ward every bush. Unless I’m playing support and my partner needs me bot, I tend to be the first to rush to a partner’s aid in times of need.

@Silyns

Oh man, my first champion was Soraka. Even though I’m better with Sona, Soraka is still probably my favorite champion.

@The Ranged AD

If you need a support, I’ll be there. :3 I’ll add you when I get back on again after my family vacation.

Phrixscreoth

Recruiter

12-08-2012

On top of the 450 champs being good ideas, any champ that has the "recommended" keyword in their tag list from the champ list in your profile tends to be a good pick.

Asking your teammates who to focus and what should be going on at any given time is a great way to learn, keep that up!