@RIOT: How to discourage AFK and get people wanting to not leave the game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shotcaller1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-11-2012

punishing the toxics is a good start. but yes there should be a reward to the good players.

Aerinx

12-11-2012

up you go

MakeUrTeamRage

12-11-2012

^

Bat Bot

12-11-2012

This... this is actually a good idea. Maybe also give a small amount of RP for every 'milemark' game (like 50 RP for 100 games, 75 for 200, 100 for 300 and so forth possibly capped out at 1k per acct).

Ward skins sounds like a *****in idea though.

apathykills

12-11-2012

ump

Bow To The Void

12-16-2012

Good idea is gold idea. No wait were going diamond this season. Dynamite idea is diamond idea.. god I suck at this. lol

Aerinx

12-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow To The Void View Post
Good idea is gold idea. No wait were going diamond this season. Dynamite idea is diamond idea.. god I suck at this. lol
Thanks!

Sagovirus

12-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerinx View Post
So... sometime ago a thread crossed my screen with someone wanting to work on Game Design, and one of you guys challenged him with a few design problems. I could not post at the time (I usually play in dev-forgotten EUW server, didn't have forum permissions here) and I can't find the thread now. Here is my approach to solve one of those problems:

How to encourage players to stay in the game instead of going afk

Reward them for consecutive played games without going afk. If you play let's say 50 consecutive games without going afk you are rewarded with a ward skin. A different ward skin is unlocked at higher numbers of consecutive played games, let's say at 100 and 250 games.

You are allowed to disconnect from a started game and don't come back once or twice every 24 hours with a small penalty towards your next goal (the next 10 games will not count towards getting your next ward skin). This allows for the normal service and personal problems that arise from time to time without hitting too harshly.
Maybe maximum of twice per day but restricted times in a week, you will not want to punish on second disconnect because people would stop playing after the random disconnect in fear of the next point, but you would want to restrict it weekly so people don't use that as a free leave game card.

So... I said punish and you won't want to punish people for going afk without being able to assess the reasons for doing so, sort of. If you fail to comply with the previous point and disconnect without coming back more times than allowed, you just lose one rank in your rewards ladder, losing access to one ward skin and having to play the necesary games without going afk to regain the skin ward again.

Additional notes:
<>Custom games should not count towards this rewards.

<>It would be nice if you could activate your ward skins and view your progress on the profile section (a new tab) instead of using the shop, you want visibility on this.

It's totally stupid. You don't need a stupid useless "incentive" for not going afk (i don't care about ward skins or anything else, and i'm already someone with 0 leave out of nearly 2k games played).

Riot needs to PUNISH HARD people that afk/leaver, and no, not with 1/2 "free" afk/leave a day, it needs to be :
- you afk/leave : get 24h suspension, you ruined other's people game, you will waste your time too now
- you do it too often, get to 1 week, 1 months, then permaban PERIOD.

EVERYONE and ANYONE with above 2% leave in a mode and 2/300+ games played should already be permabanned because there is no reason to go afk THAT often out of "emergency". If you are afk/offline so much, it's because you, on purpose, play when you KNOW you don't have the time, betting on a 20mins surrender of the other team (that don't happen often, since on AVERAGE games are around 30/40 mins, meaning a good half are above 50.....).

If you KNOW you don't have 45/60 mins to play UNINTERUPTED, stick to bot games, dominion or customs, and STOP ruining the game for everyone else because you are an egoistic little brat.

"Incentive" NEVER works, hard punishment work, because AT LEAST it removes the most toxic ones.

Actually the suspension/ban system should be implemented on TOP of :
you afk/leave a game, you spend the next 5 games in a queue pairing you ONLY with people that afk/left in one of their last 5 games, and ONLY against people who didn't. You afk/leave during those 5 games ? Enjoy 10 more games before going out. And so on.

Repeated afk/leavers would stop being a problem for people who don't leave/afk, in fact instead of making elo/matchmaking useless, broken and toxic, it would make them behave in one of two ways :
- STOP leaving/afking and so, stop being toxic, be back in the normal queue with normal people, aka problem solved
- KEEP afk/leaving meaning they would be forever with like-minded mongrels, feeding elo/normal elo to people who never leave, and not be a problem either ever for normal players, while still allowed to play if Riot don't want to lose money. Knowing the ONLY thing they got to do to get out, is to STOP afk/leave, not hard to do.

And yes, RL emergencies happen, "it's 20:00, mum call for dinner like everyday", "ah it's school time, like EVERY DAY at the same time", "got to go to work, like EVERYDAY at the same time", "hey, my wife needs me to go shopping... like every we around the same time, and like i knew it for 2h", "brb need to take care of my children... i knew i had to take care off before i started playing", aren't emergencies, and ALL are predictable, so DON'T play with others (unless it's 4 of your friends KNOWING your situation and ok with it) when you know it's like that.

For every other situation, a 24h suspension and the requirement of playing 5 games without afk/leave isn't a problem, since it's the NORM for you, while afk/leave is the exception (like under 1 game out of 200....).

Nymura

12-16-2012

Contrary to this, i think you need a bigger reward for it to make a difference. Cause lets be honest, I'm not going to change anything i do for the sake of a ward skin. Instead you should make it where Once a month you can chose a single champion and you get it for free for the rest of the month, if you go afk anytime during that period the champion gets locked again, if you go afk during this session it also locks it for the next month. I feel this would be a bigger deterrent to newer players who want to try more champs.

Aerinx

12-16-2012

bumpity bump