Nautilus/tanks inadvertently nerfed

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IamVoo

12-06-2012

As someone who has loved naut and played him alot the armor, hog, and health changes across the board have really nerfed him.

First and most obvious, Armor and MR now cost more per point. These nerfs were all fine and dandy for bruisers but true tanks are being hit the most.

Second, HoG to me was a core with philo. I'm finding atkspeed marks, Armor yellows, scaling mr blues, and armor quints to be the best setup for clearing jungle when combined with hatchet and 5 pots. He will be lvl 4 will still 1-2 pots left if you clear correctly.

Being forced to buy hatchet early while not very expensive means on first back you are forced to buy boots and cant start your philo/hog. You spend more gold, you get less. With no HoG you get less income and less health which is a main stat on naut because of his W.

Third, Nautilus is a champion that actually scales through health. By reducing life across the board on all items not only is nautilus getting less life in general, but his W is protecting for less. This change hurts.

Nautilus has to build health to keep his shield up. His shield protects for less now which means he actually also does less damage over all.

With my small jungle changes(armor quints over MS, hatchet over boots) his jungle is fairly similar to what it was before for initial clearing. The problem is he just isn't tanky enough and the less tankier he is the less threat is because W is broken fairly quickly and he has very little damage output.

Aegis and Shurelya's both have been nerfed and I can really feel it. Core used to be for me, HoG, philo, Aegis, then philo into shurelyas. Around lvl 13 or so this only nets you around 2k life. So, we get less life, less damage, less resistances, all for very close to the same amount of gold as before.

Other classes have only seemed to gain more and better ways to do damage. I've always been one to run tank jungle in ranked because most people need a front line and someone to initiate or else they run around like headless chickens. Honestly this change has only made me feel like I need to play someone who does more damage with an initiate like DIANA because she/they natural become tanky while scaling with damage.

TL;DR - Naut W at least needs a bonus health % increase because of the reduction of health on items in general. He loses initial tankiness from health, then again tankiness with the reduced amount of shield, then finally he loses damage since shield doesn't last as long

A40ozToFreedom

12-06-2012

Yeah. I haven't touched Naut since patch, since when I read all the info about it I knew he'd be hit HARD.

IamVoo

12-06-2012

Well I am not even complaining about the new jungle. The jungle is fine and setup right he can do similar clear times though it takes a little more effort. The problem is simply both less tankiness in itemization for him, and better damage and utility in itemization for other roles. He simply doesnt scale as well into mid/late game as before and tbh he never really was a huge threat mid/late game to begin with beyond CC.

SaveTheMaids

12-08-2012

I'm glad there is someone else that understands Naut isn't any better than season 2 atm... it might be a bit worse.

I don't know why Riot bothered to give his shield a small buff if they were just going to nerf all of his core items and early game crutch (HoG). They might has well have just buffed his base stats and reverted his cooldown nerfs and damage (since he takes much longer now to get all of his late game items for tanking).

I'm particularly annoyed at the removal of HoG.
It was such a great item on him.