Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot: League of Legends - In-Game Tutorials x Lore?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

G1aD0S

12-05-2012

Hoping to get GD's and some Red attention + opinions on this topic, wish me luck

I just had an idea hit me in the form of a proposal and I'd like to tell you guys first what this idea addresses:

-requests for tutorials for newcomers
-requests for new map / game mode
-requests for lore

========
The Idea:
========

Quote:

Why not make a new game mode as a tutorial disguised as a Lore game mode?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOLD ON REDS
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Don't disregard the notion of a "new game mode"!

I STILL REMEMBER MORELLO'S TAKE ON NEW MAPS:
Quote:
Morello:
New maps are tough - from a legitimate competitive standpoint (IE World Finals), I don't believe it's a good idea to release additional core 5v5 maps. CTF is a mess in any game except Tribes, TFC or Quake 3 which the whole game is about movement, so I'd be very against that. :P

I've talked about these issues in other threads and don't want to derail too much here, but I'll say this; competitive sports have "1 map" and it never gets boring (and in fact have "1 meta&quot. Maps can provide fun variety, but there's nothing that tells me that multiple maps make for a better spectator and player sport.

More about Xypherous's thoughts on Morello's reluctance to new maps:

[QUOTE]http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=27960205#27960205

HOWEVER MY COUNTERS FOR DEFENDING THIS PROPOSAL:

-This could act similarly to Co Op vs AI where players don't get a chance to play against each other, but rather focus on improving a certain aspect of teamwork (if it can be somehow made into a tutorial)

-Because of the non-competitive and tutorial nature, it shouldn't split up the player database, rather strengthen the newcomer section of it and engages them in the lore as well as the game.

-This lore/tutorial mode doesn't even have to have new maps, it can just be SR or TT or even segments of SR or TT, dedicated to emphasizing a core skill through simplistic basic gameplay to give a different Co- Op vs AI feeling that's more beginner friendly.

[/QUOTE]

======================================
Why I think this proposal is a good idea:
======================================

Quote:
- it could be more than just the new kind of novelty that people are looking for, it can be a useful novelty that deepens the lore behind the champions!

-can be used for achievements?

-champions can potentially actually become characters instead of just avatars of preferred destruction.

- more people know how to play properly = less ragers and trolls are created upon starting the game for the first time = more positive environment for the game

- the lore component would make the whole game and champion roster seem more engaging if done right (for example, a quest event between siblings [Katarina + Casseopia]
or two champions that know each other [Graves + twisted fate])

Oh yeah...

- @ IronStylus (cuz he's awesome) Opens a chance to get a Leona vs Diana interactive event going on in this mode without messing up actual in-game stuff.

================================================================================================================
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Quote:

Upvote and bump this if you like the idea (EXCLUDING THE EXAMPLE)

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
================================================================================================================