Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why do people hate the rich?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AK47WOLF

12-06-2012

Quote:
Kraemer:
They aren't better. Some are more successful, some are very lucky, but not better. But just as silly are people who go "You have stuff that I don't have, I want to take your stuff!". That's envy, and it is nothing but trouble. And that is the root of the Occupy movement, who definitely hate the rich for the most part.

But the Occupy movement consists of lazy stoner college kids with rich parents...

FearCatalyst

12-06-2012

In looking for this video, I ran across a John Stossel clip that claims the working class are the "takers." Eh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-fIAHPcKQ

Logios

12-06-2012

Quote:
FearCatalyst:
In looking for this video, I ran across a John Stossel clip that claims the working class are the "takers." Eh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-fIAHPcKQ

That clip said nothing about working class being takers.

Quote:

There are makers and takers in all income brackets in society. Makers are individuals who produce things that people value. When people trade with makers, both parties are made better off. Put another way, trading with makers is a positive sum game. Takers, on the other hand, are individuals who redistribute or destroy value, which is a zero sum or negative sum game.

FearCatalyst

12-06-2012

Quote:
Logios:
That clip said nothing about working class being takers.

This one's reading comprehension is exceedingly low.

Read the ONE SENTENCE I posted, then come back.

EDIT: I'll even give you a hint. Go to YouTube, look up "makers vs. takers." Now look for the name "John Stossel." Did you find it? Congratulations, you now know of the clip I mentioned, but didn't post because I think John Stossel is a ****ing idiot.

Casus125

12-06-2012

I dislike the rich because most of them were just lucky to be born into it, their sense of entitlement gets on my nerves, and they always seem to find a way to put you down for whatever small luxury you managed to afford while talking up their latest gift from mommy/daddy/husband/wife/In-laws.

For the ongoing conversation:

$11 HR isn't going to get you any kind of a respectable labor.

Sure they could afford a 30k home, with heroic financial planning, if they qualified for the loan in the first place with your replaceable, unskilled labor job.

It also depends on the kind of work you're asking to be done, and given the apparent churn, I'm guessing your company is underpaying for the position if you can't keep anybody there.

If a crappy job pays a so-so wage, people may stick around, provided they feel they're earning an acceptable wage.

If a crappy job pays a crappy wage, it doesn't take long for someone to go "You know what, this really isn't worth my time at all when I can find easier work for similar pay."

I'm not going to be lavishing thanks to my employer for providing me a job, I know what I'm worth, and I know that if push comes shove, I can find more work. So if I get an offer to work more hours, for the same pay; to work harder for the same pay; or to travel further, for the same pay; I'm probably going pass, or quit as soon as I can.

CinemaShow74

12-06-2012

Quote:
Dobagoh:
Thus my point about making $9/hr in high school ($11 in 2012 accounting for inflation). ElanIs a f-cking joke and so is his employer.

He has yet to respond to me bc he know he is full of fecal matter with his posts itt

First of all, do you own a business?

Well I do. Right now its very tough to even pay my employees what I give them now. There has been no raises for over a year now because my operating expenses have increased 25-30% these past 3 years. Also, customers are not willing to spend the money they once had for my services, so income is down.

Also, average income in every state is different than another. Cost of living is higher in California than say Florida. 11 dollars an hour in Florida is very decent money in an entry level job. Hell my sister working at ALDI gets paid 10 dollars and its pays for her house, power, and food for 3 kids BY HERSELF!

Quit personally attacking someone with a mentality of a 8 year old complaining that don't pay there employees enough. With your attitude, I wouldn't hire you at all with that mentality.

Personally, I think you are a terrible person for saying something like that. Get your own business and prove me wrong.

Elan Tedronai

12-06-2012

Quote:
FearCatalyst:

I'll take you any day.

Dobagoh

12-06-2012

Quote:
CinemaShow74:
Well I do. Right now its very tough to even pay my employees what I give them now. There has been no raises for over a year now because my operating expenses have increased 25-30% these past 3 years. Also, customers are not willing to spend the money they once had for my services, so income is down.

so basically you're whining because you have poor business judgment in starting a business in something and not diversifying when you realize your customers don't want to purchase your goods/services? boohoohoo

Quote:
Also, average income in every state is different than another. Cost of living is higher in California than say Florida. 11 dollars an hour in Florida is very decent money in an entry level job. Hell my sister working at ALDI gets paid 10 dollars and its pays for her house, power, and food for 3 kids BY HERSELF!

What does that have to do with anything? Since when do cashiers require being paid anything more than 25% above the US poverty threshold? Standing around all day counting things and entering numbers into a keypad must be SOOO difficult. Compare that to skilled/unskilled labor @ Elan's place of employment

Quote:
Quit personally attacking someone with a mentality of a 8 year old complaining that don't pay there employees enough. With your attitude, I wouldn't hire you at all with that mentality.

I wouldn't want to work at your joke of business, for a tool like you, so that makes two of us.

Quote:
Personally, I think you are a terrible person for saying something like that. Get your own business and prove me wrong.

Look bro, if I wanted to quit my job that pays me more than 90% Americans in this country for doing 25 hours of work a week, so I can go off and start my own law firm I would. However, I have yet to pass the bar so I think I won't work my ass off for peanuts while putting myself at risk for getting sued for malpractice when I can get the necessary experience at my job, risk-free. Of course, if you were in my position, you probably would go ahead and do it, judging from what we know of your business skills.

CinemaShow74

12-06-2012

Quote:
so basically you're whining because you have poor business judgment in starting a business in something and not diversifying when you realize your customers don't want to purchase your goods/services? boohoohoo

What are you talking about? My Business is the highest rated business in my town. I have seen other business of my type fold up last year. But my business is strong with good customers. No whining here. My point was, my local, county, state, and federal taxes have gone up along with costs in insurance for my business and power bills. Also, with a bad economy and no good outlook for the future, people are being reserved on spending money on basic services that I offer. They are now trying to do it themselves or looking toward under-the-table service. I would like to pay more to my employees, but right now, that's not going to happen.

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? Since when do cashiers require being paid anything more than 25% above the US poverty threshold? Standing around all day counting things and entering numbers into a keypad must be SOOO difficult. Compare that to skilled/unskilled labor @ Elan's place of employment

You insult Elan when you don't know what the $11 job entails. Maybe it is a cashiers position. Maybe its a job where I put 2 screws in a metal plate on an assembly line. Entry level positions is usually boring work. Sorry, there is no way I could pay an entry level worker the same amount money as my highest paid tech. But, at the same time, I don't want to pay them minimum wage. Elan's $11 an hour for entry is outstanding where I live. Just as Elan says:

"You're also a fictional character, so there's that..."

I have to agree with that.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to work at your joke of business, for a tool like you, so that makes two of us.

Ditto.

Quote:
Look bro, if I wanted to quit my job that pays me more than 90% Americans in this country for doing 25 hours of work a week, so I can go off and start my own law firm I would. However, I have yet to pass the bar so I think I won't work my ass off for peanuts while putting myself at risk for getting sued for malpractice when I can get the necessary experience at my job, risk-free. Of course, if you were in my position, you probably would go ahead and do it, judging from what we know of your business skills.

If your job keeps you happy and you have a goal, good for you. Working a job vs owning a business is very different. At 31 years old, I have learned a lot since I left college. It is an ongoing process with something new everyday. I think I have done well so far and accomplished many things.

But the main thing that gets me about you is how to demonize people you disagree with.

"ElanIs a f-cking joke and so is his employer.

He has yet to respond to me bc he know he is full of fecal matter with his posts itt"

Or

"Nobody hates the rich.

However, I hate the stupid, like you."

How can I respect you with an attitude like that. For a lawyer, that's pretty bad.

What vile **** is spewing from your mouth because you don't like Elan's business sense?
You are not Elan, nor his boss, so you have no clue on what is going on there. Until you run a business, you have, shall I say, little understanding. Judging without jury nor evidence.

BTW, Im done with this thread. From now on, I will avoid OT like a plague because of trolls like you.

Dobagoh

12-06-2012

The term "Elan's business sense" is a logical and factual impossibility.

btw, saying that until people run a business, they have no idea how to run a business is complete nonsense.

This country employs thousands of business consultants who have never run a business before in their life, getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars every year telling business owners how to run a business because, quite frankly, the majority of business owners are idiots and don't know what they are doing.