Top lane questions from a new toplaner

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JevelFaithful

12-05-2012

Hello Forumites

I recently bought Irelia and that made me realise how bad I am with melee champs and top lane gameplay. So I had a couple of question probably pretty obvious for anyone who actually play top. (for the record, so far in top lane I've used Akali (who has a range haras and an escape tool), nasus (who is pure farm) and Wukong (who I generally harras as an adcaster EQ-AA-W->escape) and Lux, (who is... long ranged).

How do you trade? Every time I've tried to trade I get outdamaged pretty fast. I'll admit my first items might not have been the best. But overall, walking up to the enemy and AAing them just feels clunky and previsible and ineffective. Maybe it's the bot playstyle, since I don't remember having so many problems before.

What to go for in lane? especially vs AD champs. So far I've tried going for sheen for that didn't lead me anywhere. I would try Wit's End, but against AD it doesn't look right. A regen item like philo? A tanky/dmg like Phage? A pure tanky item like glacial? Do it like an AD with double Doran? I'd like some pointers.

Should you get behind, how do you last hit. I know I should play defensively. But on a character like Irelia, the safest way I see is Qin, stun, 1 AA or 2, then Q out. Any easier way on the mana? Or should I just buy a philo and do a combo like that?

I'm really way too used to ranged character.

Taarki

12-05-2012

on wukong i start with philo so i can stay in lane longer and the gold gain makes up for my lack in last hitting experience. so philo might be good item

YuHZ

12-05-2012

I'm assuming you're talking about Irelia. As irelia you basically want to wait till levels 7+ as your true dmg(w) really starts to kick in and do tons of damage. Generally on irelia you rush trinity, get phage first. If you don't have enough gold for phage on ur first back then just buy hog. If you're getting wrecked you can go double gp5. Wits end IMO is generally if enemy ap is doing well. Irelia does well with cdr, hp, armor, general bruiser items.
Btw I've always been of the opinion that dorans is bad on Irelia. You generally want to play defensive during your first few levels unless the matchup is easy. Basically your W auto attacks are your main source of damage, as well as your ult.

JevelFaithful

12-05-2012

Thanks you 2. Yeah it was mostly about irelia. I was probably attacking too early. way too early.
So amongst my first priority it should be phage, sheen for an eventual triforce. Possibly wit's end even tought it won't help me in lane, so I guess trying to have it when mid-game starts? gp5 if I'm really behind farming under the tower.

For the late build, prefering armor/hp/as. With what comes with it?

What about boots, I guess unless I'm presured heavily MR boots? If presured ninja tabi are an option, Like vs a wukong or darius. Playing blind pick, so there's no avoiding counterpick in my case aside from lane switching.

Instead of going for phage as my early defensive, what about more armor like hexdrinker (was it armor or mr?) or wriggle? Would that work too or hp is really better? I guess loosing phage's passive is a big loss.

RQDora

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statiqhock View Post
Thanks you 2. Yeah it was mostly about irelia. I was probably attacking too early. way too early.
So amongst my first priority it should be phage, sheen for an eventual triforce. Possibly wit's end even tought it won't help me in lane, so I guess trying to have it when mid-game starts? gp5 if I'm really behind farming under the tower.

For the late build, prefering armor/hp/as. With what comes with it?

What about boots, I guess unless I'm presured heavily MR boots? If presured ninja tabi are an option, Like vs a wukong or darius. Playing blind pick, so there's no avoiding counterpick in my case aside from lane switching.

Instead of going for phage as my early defensive, what about more armor like hexdrinker (was it armor or mr?) or wriggle? Would that work too or hp is really better? I guess loosing phage's passive is a big loss.
First off, Irelia you don't even really need AD early game. Her true damage is extremely powerful all the way up till end game. End game you need to start thinking about atmas, trin force, maul, wits end, warmogs and either merc treads or ninja tabi. Thats my usual build for her. For trading, I usually leave it to the enemy to start, because usually when they go for you and you proc your true damage. It often scares people enough to make them run away. Otherwise I would advise using your clone right when darius is about to ulti. It can often fool them into using their ulti against it. Allowing for a quick and easy escape. I like using kayle, cho gath top against Dar usually. They both can counter his dang CDless ult.