Defence and Utility tree vs Offence tree (masteries)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BZey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2012

In the new mastery pages, there seems to have been a huge overhaul in both the defence and utility tree. For starters, what was once unreachable with anything under 21 masteries has been shifted to the second tier (reduce summoner spells by 10%). However, there arises a problem from first glance, and I hope I am not actually correct in this statement.

In all of season 2, the utility tree was named the weakest. In comparison, the offence tree provided a lot of firepower, and the defence tree offered a lot of bonuses to junglers, attack damage carries, ability power carries and top laners alike. They took 21 in defence, and if they didn't do that, they took 21 in offence, because they were just so much better in comparison to the utility masteries. Yes, there were definitely a lot of good and beneficial masteries in Utility, but the bonuses would be triumphed by what was offered by the other two trees. Even as a support, I ran 0 21 9, because it would help me survive so much in bottom lane, namely ganks.

In season 3 however, the new trees seem to shift the focus away from offence and back to utility and defence. In all honesty, the higher tier utility is not that great (especially the last point, it provides the exact bonus janna gives as a passive), but there are some great ones in the tree. For example, for champions like riven, they receive 5 gold each time they brawl the opposing top laner. For champions like riven, who have great brawl potential and can needs gold to scale, this is a great blessing (estimated 100 gold every 5 minutes).

However, to best that tree, the defence tree is the one that stands out. Especially with the extra costs in resists, it seems that the metagame has (or wants to become) deviated from sustain top laners (Cho'gath) to brawlers (Xin Zhao). Yes, chain vest having a 20 more gold cost is not a big deal, but it certainly is if you consider that you've just entered a fight, and cannot lane anymore or else you will die. You have 720 g at that moment, and if you decide to go back to lane with that chain vest, you will definitely return back to base very very soon, because you have bought no wards/pots. (This is an extreme case)

To the new plethora of tenacity items, as well as 15% gained through just the defence tree, Irelia becomes extremely slippery for a team to lock onto. The new defence tree, essentially, gives brawling power, and utility, as well as its good old defences, making it, in my opinion, the strongest of the mastery trees.

Offence, it seems, has gotten last dibs, because its usefulness fell, at least for me. I used to be able to take shen top lane with offence, but now, I feel masteries for a champion like shen, should and can be only put in the defence page. Shen does not need 4ap or attack damage per level, and if you look at the mastery page, he cannot even reach the bottom of the utility page without taking one useless point (try it). Offence no longer seems to be better for top laners (never really was), mid laners, or attack damage carries. In bottom lane now, it seems that it would much be prefered to have utility, so I can take doran's with one health pot, or even a long sword and pots. I could even take the defence tree, and really bully people late game with cc reduction and some inate tankiness. (Graves especially) It relays to the boots not giving a true definition of who starts the poke. Before, it was essentially definited that doran's would confine you to a more passive lane, with more brawl potential, compared to boots, which could give much needed utility to the slow attack damage carries in the lane.

That brings me to my last thing to discuss with the forum. Before, boots really defined who you could gank, who can clear fast, who can escape ganks, and who can start poke battles. Now, with it only giving you 25 movespeed (granted nearly by 21 utility, quients and janna passive), it seems the game has shifted to a completely different play style. I am definitely uncomfortable with this, as it changes what we've all been used to, but am merely looking for suggestions in starting items, and different ideas of which we can all discuss and figure out the new metagame. No tournements have started for season 3, and I really hope to have one soon to see what the pros do, because they'll have had at least 1000 more hours to practice season 3 than I will/have

Essentially, I am hoping to theorycraft, and see what truly works out well in season 3, and figure it out early so I can get a head start

In a nutshell: How does boots affect you, and what mastery tree is the worst.

Diegalaloca

12-05-2012

too long baby

Hiryato

12-05-2012

New water flask + 3 wards is what I've been starting out with in the mid lane, and it's working out great. I still take 21 in offense as it allows me good harass in lane. Haven't lost a mid lane yet since the patch wih this setup

BZey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2012

Yeah, offence tree is still extremely useful at lvl 1, but the little scaling it has, especially for the physical damage side now, is trumped by the defence and utility trees through all parts of the game, imo