How to counter a healthy tanky team?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellhymn

01-14-2013

Me and my team have just started rank recently and a team of Singed, Volibear, Mundo, Garen and Nasus destroyed us in late game. At first we were winning during the 20 minutes with 4 kills ahead and good creep score. Few minutes later i checked the enemies items and they all started out with a warmog as there first item and as soon as that happened, they start to tower dive like no other due to the amazing beefiness of health, not to mention with Volibears passive, Mundo's regen, Garen's passive, and Nasus lifesteal.

We couldnt defeat them even with the items we had like Ruined King and Liandry Torment.
Our team was Nidalee, Darius, Morganna, Malphite, and Draven.

I hope I dont sound too much of a noob but I would really appreciate the feedback and a method of defeating such a beefy team whether we needed a better team or strategy. Btw we all had Ignite.

Sylvr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

Protect Draven at all costs. Build Mallet, Rylai's, or Iceborn Gauntlet on everyone and let Draven just tear through them. He will eventually kill them all. Whenever you drive them away, go take their turrets. Never chase any of them, even if they've only got a sliver of HP left (which, on a team like that, is probably still like 300 HP). With the team comp you guys had, you shouldn't have any problems keeping anything and everything off of Draven if you really focus on it.

If you have to focus someone on that team, make it Nasus, cause he's the biggest threat once late-game rolls around. However, Draven should never focus on any one person, but rather, just hit whoever it is safe to hit (the closest person). It's everyone ELSE that should focus their non-Draven-Protecting abilities on him.

The point is, the counter to all-tank teams is the ADC. They are the biggest threat to tanks in the late-game. Protecting your ADC NEEDS to be your focus at late-game against a beefy team like that. If they were all assassins, then protecting your ADC becomes pretty impractical, and you should instead try to create as many threats on your team as possible so that once the assassins die, you're more likely to have someone left that can take objectives.

Rawrful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

The best counter would be to play Draft Mode (Which the game is balanced around) and counter pick them with champions like Kog and Janna. Build a poke/disengage comp. They have no super hard engage like a Malphite or Amumu, so all you would need to do is whittle them down over a sustained poke fight where you refused to let them engage on you, then engage the fight when they are all hurt, or push down their towers if they refuse to fight when hurt.

With the team you had, it would be tough. AP Nidalee pokes well, and Morgana and Draven can do a little poke too. Your real problem is that you have Draven for a phys carry, and he has no escapes to deal with an ulting Singed running strait at him, let alone 4 more bruisers running strait for him.

Really, the problem with blind pick is that gimic comps can be incredibly hard to beat if you didn't see them coming. And that goes for hardcore split push comps, kill lanes at bot, no jungler with a kill lane top, roam comps, poke comps, massive AoE teamfight comps as well. Some times you just go into games at an inherent disadvantage because the enemy team counters yours.

Sereg Anfaug

01-15-2013

That's an interesting strat... I'm with Sylvr; I'd say your best bet is a protection comp. Get lots of peel, protect your AD carry, and shred them with the %max health items while ADC cleans up.

I feel like Amumu would be a solid asset to your team if you could get him... he'll be able to ult and lock down anyone diving your carry, as well as shredding maxhealth passively with his W.

Rawr's poke comp could be viable, but I'm not too sure... All of the champions against you have high innate sustain, and by rushing Warmog's they increase their regeneration to ridiculous levels, so any poking you do will be healed off pretty quickly, and will probably cost you more resources then it costs them.

Hard engage is your answer here. Crush them down as quickly as possible, and don't give them a chance to regenerate. Ideally, though, you should try to shut them down early. Their comp shouldn't be able to lane very well, so if you can take a big enough advantage in the laning phase, you should be able to keep a lead and finish the game before their comp takes full effect.

With that in mind, an early game teamcomp might also be viable. LeBlanc, Caitlin, and Lee Sin are good picks here.

Hellhymn

01-15-2013

Thank you so much for all the info. you guys. Though it is quite hard to focus them down/ambush them as they are always together like glue, amazing champion synergy, and ridiculous initiations that will always put us on the pressure due to 3 of them having speed buff skills and the other 2 has a slowing skill. But i truly appreciate the strategy Sylvr. My team will try to build more defensively and we'll just have to stay under the turret, poking, and running away from a incoming tower dive (Though we did and volibear would just speed buff in and flip one backward, with singed as his butt buddy, flips again to keep us at distant from our poor teammate). I do truly hope this works cause like Sereg Anfaug said, we can beat them at the first team fight and we almost win, but really, they come back with there health sky high...ESPECIALLY Mundo... and rushes in knowing we were very weak from the first fight. And if we run to heal? They take our tower, we just cant afford to have a few of us or one of us going back to heal cause they will come back.. and they come back hitting hard. Forgot to mention that most of them had ghost.

Directw

01-15-2013

hit and run, ambush....etc

do whatever it's necessary to catch them off guard and to create the element of surprise. One good advantage you have is that don't have gap closer. In team fight, focus anyone who is chasing/attacking your adc.

Draven using common ad build is ok, but for the rest of the team, they need to switch to bruiser build, especially nid. I would suggest nid focusing more on defensive item, like Runic Bulwark, Randuin's Omen, RoA if she got the gold.

Fifth Scheme

01-16-2013

In addition to all the things Sylvr said, I'd say run a second ADC at top or mid like Cait/Ez. Two ADCs with some hard engage like Malphite, some peel with Janna or Lulu, and then maybe another tanky peel jungler like Alistar, or Amumu would complete the composition.

The goal is to engage hard as soon as an opportunity presents itself and kite them around while your ADCs do work. Everyone who can should build a slowing item like Gauntlets, Mallet or Rylais and one of the ADCs should build pure damage with a lot of crit and penetration.

On a macro level, you need to take advantage of your early lead. Tanks are not effective till late game. Push down towers early. This means have your jungler lane with you when you have the chance. Triple, quadruple push turrets down fast. Tanks have no damage so they won't be able to respond by taking any of yours in the time you take to push down one. Then you rotate and do the same to other turrets. Once your so far ahead in turrets and global gold, a single warmogs on each champ won't even phase you.

Ippii

01-16-2013

Find a team that does % health damage. Like amumu, nasus, malzahar

Chillin

01-16-2013

counter pick them, bring in a kalye/teemo type and poke them down, the game starts at character select.

Rakaydos

01-16-2013

Lifesteal the **** out of them. Without armor to back up their health, they're just giving you free healing.