Xypherous' old opinions from 2010/2011 and new Season 3 items

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

darkzero225

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash Sendai View Post
Nice maturity
Because going around calling people frauds is a definite sign of maturity. I agree.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

12-05-2012
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Because going around calling people frauds is a definite sign of maturity. I agree.
Hey, it's always nice to have your hypocrisy pointed out. We so rarely get people to make a detailed series of posts to hold a mirror up to let you see yourself like how others see you.

I mean, this post is tremendously valuable just because someone took the time to put up a mirror so that I can see what I'm saying through their eyes. I'm actually surprised that most of it held up over time - but maybe that just means I'm not really maturing or evolving my thoughts.

Vacus

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
I mean, this post is tremendously valuable just because someone took the time to put up a mirror so that I can see what I'm saying through their eyes. I'm actually surprised that most of it held up over time - but maybe that just means I'm not really maturing or evolving my thoughts.
Alternately, maybe it means you were right

(At least about those things that held up.)

Eturnus

12-05-2012

Quote:
Hey, it's always nice to have your hypocrisy pointed out. We so rarely get people to make a detailed series of posts to hold a mirror up to let you see yourself like how others see you.

Hey.....go poke someone in support and force them to read this thread.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2854969

MrPattywagon

12-05-2012

I had one other point I was interested in. I don't want to de-rail too much - thank you so much for your comment, I feel so happy ;_; - but while you're here.

From November 27, 2010:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...353464#4353464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous
Quote:
evolution abilities
Not something we'd do, mostly because when you offer players the choice like this, unless the ability is truly nichey and has obvious niche applications for either evolution, there will be arguments about which one is better than the rest endlessly.

Customizing your own skills is cool. Customizing your own skills without being able to experiment or toy around with the other evolution in a given game is awful.
Do you think the implementation of Kha'Zix avoided the worries you had two years ago about evolving abilities? Or Viktor?

EDIT: I probably should have asked about dead-end items as design space for my last question.

jrfnlm508

12-05-2012

Quote:

If we're discussing maturity etc, quite the post you got there:P

Xypherous

Systems Designer

12-05-2012
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Do you think the implementation of Kha'Zix avoided the worries you had two years ago about evolving abilities? Or Viktor?
The original post talked about having two different 'end-points' for an ability. Kha'zix has ultimate upgrades for the ability - but the final evolution always does the same thing and you get to try 3 out of 4 of them in a game so you do get the chance to basically back up and choose something else.

Viktor on the other hand, has three different 'end-points' for his entire kit - and everyone just goes the Red Augment.

So.. for Kha'zix's style of evolution, I think it's turned out fairly well and for Viktor.. well.. he's Viktor.

Wodan

12-05-2012

Quote:

The MS% items that do still exist in the game are there to facilitate very specific playstyles - Shiv has movement speed because it is a poke/movement item. Twin Shadows has movement speed as its an offensive scout item. Phantom Dancer has MS% because it's.. well.. it was kind of grandfathered in. :P
Oh my Xypherous, it almost sounds like you want to take that MS away from Phandom Dancer.

S1AL

12-05-2012

Quote:
So.. for Kha'zix's style of evolution, I think it's turned out fairly well and for Viktor.. well.. he's Viktor.
Honestly, the number one thing I have wanted since playing Viktor the first time is to see his Augment actually have multiple viable routes and tiers on it. He's a champion who is supposedly all about evolving and adapting his technology to the situation, but he actually has a very locked pathway. I'd love to see that change.

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2012

Xyph, would you be open to doing something like this again in the future? A "create an item and I'll comment on it" thread? Or even a champion version? I think it would be really cool for all us theorycrafters.