[Guide] Swain, Fiddlesticks on Crack

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fruitsations

10-10-2010

This is a guide on how i believe is one of the best ways to play Swain. Note that these are all recommendations and feel free to add constructive criticism. WARNING THIS IS A WALL OF TEXT

[Purpose]
This guide is to show Swain's ability to stay in the lane as long as possible, thereby gaining xp, gold and sometimes kills. This guide focuses around his Ultimate and how to use it effectively. In this guide however I choose Swain to take a side lane unless no one else can take middle.

[Runes, Masteries and Summoner Spells]
For runes, currently i use Magic Pen Marks, AP per level Yellows and Flat CDR Blues
Masteries i go 0/9/21 or 9/0/21 its all preference
Spells: Flash Ignite

Core Build
Archangels Staff
Boots (Merc Treads, Sorc Shoes)
After these two items pretty much build him as a standard offensive caster.
Getting kills? Mejaj
MR? Void Staff
Basically anything with alot of AP

Skill Priority
R>E>Q>W
From 1-3 get a 1 rank of QEW and at 4 go with a rank of E
After that follow this priority

Strategy

So now it comes down to what to do and when.

1-6
Farm, you got your E first so use it, harrass those champs like nobody's business. At level 4 you could try an early gank, but be sure to coordinate with your lanemates. Just Flash in hit Q to slow them then cast your W ahead cause theyll try to run and then E then ignite. His E will synergise with Ignite so hit ignite after. Blue pill only to buy items, your passive should take care of mana problems unless you cant last hit minions well enough. If you come across a big creep wave with no minions, hit your R and you ll be fine just remember to turn it off.

Level 6
This is when the fun begins, Swains ult is very effective and impressive looking i might add. The amount of lifesteal it gives you is immense competing with WW and Olafs. For solo ganks, some people will think your squishy so let them come to you. When they re close hit Q W E. they ll take some damage and might start to run, if so just flash in and finish em off with another combo. Now 6/10 times some will stay to fight, this is when you make them pay. After your QWE combo hit your R and watch they re life go down. NOTE you can still cast other spells while in bird form so dont hesitate to cast another QWE. Your R is basically like Fiddles drain except its a lot more effective in my opinion. Once they realize they re bashing away at you for no reason they ll run and will probably be at low health so just flash as close to them as you can (while ult is on) and let your birds do the rest. Also another tip, i know this goes against a lot of things but if you have your ult try to engage them by their minions. Yes i know minion aggro but think, if your trying to take on a dps champ those minions are basically free health potions. They also provide a sense of security for your opponent allowing you to get in close and cast your combo.

Mid-Late Game
Pretty much your a support/carry. Dont initiate fights, let them come to you. If they bunch up in a big group and you cant click on them fast enough, hit your R and just keep spamming your spells. When things start to break up be sure to cast Q then W ahead of the person so they run into your snare resulting in a easy kill for your team. Low on health but got some mana? Run to creep wave and hit your R for some massive regens.

So that's how i play swain, feel free to post some feedback, criticism etc.

Ulfhednar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-11-2010

void staff is a bad item unless they are stacking MR and you have 0 magic pen but if you magic pen runes or sorc boots, then an abyssal scepter is a much better item. really though, this seems about the same build as everyone elses thats been posted , for what little itemization you offer

Jaded Response

10-11-2010

Archangels, Merc boots, Chalice of Harmony, Rylai, Spirit Visage (I've heard the regen bonus was bugged for Swain, so I might change it out for Abyssal), and Zhonya is how I build him.

Building him as a straight DPS seems silly, and I've been enjoying a good amount of success in making him more of an anti-caster. Swain's one of the best champions in the game at keeping enemies from running out of team fights.

Also if you don't have deep crow running throughout the entirety of every team fight, you're not doing it right.

Ulfhednar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-11-2010

i think rylais is alright if you are still learning swain, but it doesnt seem nearly as effective an early abyssal scepter does. you should be able to keep melee chars out of range with your regular abilities once you can reliably land nevermove and with laser bird having such a short cooldown. my preferred build atm is:

Tear of the Goddess
Ninja Tabi
Abyssal Sceptre
Mejai's Soul Stealer
Guardian Angel

with my runes and masteries, this gives me around 130 armor and 100 mr, with 20% dodge. i dont recommend building a bunch of hp, because your ult is utilized more effectively with some damage mitigation then hp.

Fruitsations

10-11-2010

Thanks all for your feedback! I appreciate it!

Alex Pan

10-11-2010

So are you going to explain why I should drop FIddles for Swain? You can't get golem at level 1 or dragon at level 4, can you? Or silence?