Want me to hit "Punish" on your case? Just say one of these words!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drukyul

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharajat View Post
Someone was obviously offended, so the context was offensive.
Drawings of Mohammad. Your move.

Koelio

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Flipp3er View Post
Since when did retarded become such a bad word? I swear we used that word to describe people before, and it wasn`t considered insulting... I went to school back in the early 90`s, and retarded was the word used to describe people with defects... It was the word used to describe them, and it was accepted... Wow, our people are getting way too sensitive... We can no longer call things what they are...

You can`t call a drunk driver a drunk driver, they`re just a temporary impaired driver.
It used to be okay to call someone with mental retardation a ******. That was referring to an individual with that particular problem. However, two major things happened. One was the term became too much of a catch all within the medical community so better, more accurate words were chosen. Its the second major thing that impacts most of the rest of us.

The word was used to insult other people and things. This is when it came to be an issue, and stopped being okay to use. I remember teachers taking a big issue with it in 5th grade for me, so 1995. Almost 20 years ago now. So it's not like this is something brand new or unheard of.

Cayten Shift

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drukyul View Post
Drawings of Mohammad. Your move.
In what context would you make a NON-offensive drawing of Muhammad? He was never drawn nor represented so there's no historical or artistic reason to do so. So what, you're doing it for the sole purpose of offending people who deeply believe it's blasphemous?

Jesustim

12-10-2012

good to see your personal insecurities throw off your ability to objectively review individual cases. If you honestly cannot handle the words gay and ******, you probably shouldn't set foot in the internet. In any case the presence of these phrases is pointless, what matters is who said it, why they said it, how they said it, and how those who were interacting with them reacted.

swan2swan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesustim View Post
good to see your personal insecurities throw off your ability to objectively review individual cases. If you honestly cannot handle the words gay and ******, you probably shouldn't set foot in the internet. In any case the presence of these phrases is pointless, what matters is who said it, why they said it, how they said it, and how those who were interacting with them reacted.
I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where rudeness and derogatory statements were a necessary element to the internet. I have a zero tolerance policy in regards to these things--I know it's unpopular, I know it won't achieve my ultimate goal, but I won't get anywhere by shutting up and saying "You know what? You're right. Everyone's going to keep using these, let's not point out the problems." Hopefully, a few cases will die down.

And if they don't, well, at least someone who doesn't consider the feelings of other people just had a little more frustration added into his life...take things seriously, people. It's not hard. And if it is hard, it's worth it.

KiII Yourself

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan2swan View Post
I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where rudeness and derogatory statements were a necessary element to the internet. I have a zero tolerance policy in regards to these things--I know it's unpopular, I know it won't achieve my ultimate goal, but I won't get anywhere by shutting up and saying "You know what? You're right. Everyone's going to keep using these, let's not point out the problems." Hopefully, a few cases will die down.

And if they don't, well, at least someone who doesn't consider the feelings of other people just had a little more frustration added into his life...take things seriously, people. It's not hard. And if it is hard, it's worth it.
Good lord, you must be the biggest f aggot in the history of this community, and that's saying something. Ratchet down your sensitivity meter a few thousand notches, princess.

Jesustim

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan2swan View Post

I can guarantee you you do your own credibility and your intended goals more harm by being such a zealous nitpicker then you would by being a bit more careful in how you interpret the things you read. It has nothing to do with popularity, it has to do with things only being offensive if people chose to be offended. Is there a problem with the overuse of the term gay as a derogatory statement or ****** as an insult? Sure. But highlighting those words doesn't address the root issue, which is a negative attitude towards others. Even if you got everyone on the internet today to stop saying ******, ****er, and jew as insults there would be new ones made up thanks to human nature. The way you deal with these things is by not letting it get under your skin, this applies both in-game and here at the tribunal reports. If you're going to slam punish any time you even see those words you are no different OR better then people who Q dodge when they see people say huehuehue or speaking in a foreign language, it is uncompromising stereotyping that decries an inability on your part to think critically.

Ti Perihelion

12-10-2012

Quote:
I can guarantee you you do your own credibility and your intended goals more harm by being such a zealous nitpicker...
I'm sorry, you seem to be confused. The only people nitpicking are those arguing that there are special, extremely rare (some might say nonexistent) circumstances in which the expletives in question are not inappropriate. Let's get past this idea of "offensive," because it's ultimately irrelevant and it's just a derailing tactic.

What matters in this discussion is harm, and harm, unlike offensiveness, is not subjective. If you make derogatory remarks about an entire gender, race, creed, sexuality, disorder, etc., you might not offend anyone present, but you certainly do harm to the people you malign. The harm principle is also impervious to "intentions." If you say the n-word because you're an ignorant wank or a sheltered 12-year-old, I don't give a **** if you "intended" harm. Abuse is abuse. Everyone needs to learn how to function in civilized society sooner or later.

"Context" is another derailment tactic trolls like to bring up. How's this for context: the Middle Passage, the African diaspora, the American slave trade, imperialism, Jim Crow, Apartheid? Or what about domestic violence, women's suffrage, unequal pay, rape statistics? Or maybe bullying, hate crimes, suicides, genocides, holocausts?

That enough context for you? It's not about political correctness; no one's running for office here. It's about being a ****ing decent human being.

Just in case anyone is scratching their heads for a snotty comeback, why not try some of these? Go ahead, I'll break out the bingo cards.