Want me to hit "Punish" on your case? Just say one of these words!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bergtau

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharajat View Post
See, here's the thing. "N*gger" is not a word that people should have ANY DOUBTS can be offensive. Nor is "f*ggot." Nor is "p*ssy."

You say there are some very small number of contexts where they are not offensive. Cool beans. Someone reported the person, so THIS CASE IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

Autopunish. If you don't like it, stop getting yourself in front of the Tribunal, and stop trying to argue some weird semantic game that totally explains why when you said "you n***** noobs suck my d*** you p***y f*****s" you really weren't trying to be offensive.
So you're going to punish somebody because you think that they should know that a specific word can be offensive? That's wrong.

I also don't think you understand the difference between offensive and people taking offense. Offensive is when you intend to offend. Somebody reporting you because they took offense doesn't mean you were being offensive. For example, some people say the word 'n*gger' in the context of friendship or comradery. Somebody might take that offensively, but that is their problem, as the person isn't trying to offend them. Thinking that they are deserving of punishment based on somebody reporting them is judging them to be guilty until proven innocent.
Quote:
If there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the player in the game and yet they are still getting reported, you should vote Pardon. All summoners are innocent until proven guilty. Sometimes players will report the entire enemy team if they can't recall who said what during the game. Other times, players just report the enemy for no good reason. Again, make sure to focus on the reported player.
I'm not playing some semantic game to try to justify offensive behavior, I'm saying that judging people by the word they say and not the way they mean it is wrong. In the context of "you n***** noobs suck my d*** you p***y f*****s" you are clearly being offensive. In the case of saying "It's cool my n*gger", you are not. While some form of the former is more likely to happen, if you ignore the context and focus only on the words, you are going to punish the innocent.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Geomancer93041

Member

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan2swan View Post
You, yes, you right there, you, too can be punished! It's easy! All you have to do is guess these words correctly and use them in a game![/B]
Hear hear! I actually love it when people use these words. It makes my job a lot easier.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bucky1andonly

Senior Member

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirska View Post
Someone is butthurt about the election... Seriously who invited the trolls in?

FWIW I liked your post, OP.

Making a thread like this invites trolls to post. Don't feed the trolls.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sharajat

Senior Member

12-06-2012

@Bergtau: If the player was reported, someone got offended.

You keep whining that people should be less sensitive. No. People should stop using racist, homophobic, or sexist language. You are creating a hostile environment for broad segments of the population when you do so, and the fact that the player in question was reported means that it was clearly offensive.

File a support ticket with Riot and ask them to stop me from reviewing tribunal cases on any account, because I will continue to click punish the instant I see discriminatory language, NO EXCEPTIONS. And you know what? The majority seems to agree with me because those people keep getting punished.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whittu

Junior Member

12-06-2012

If i saw you in real life i'd probably punch you in the face as hard as i could.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bergtau

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharajat View Post
@Bergtau: If the player was reported, someone got offended.
I'm not disputing this.

Quote:
You keep whining that people should be less sensitive. No. People should stop using racist, homophobic, or sexist language. You are creating a hostile environment for broad segments of the population when you do so, and the fact that the player in question was reported means that it was clearly offensive.
I am not whining, but you saying that in the context is offensive. That is a clear example of something meant to offend, which is different from somebody taking offense. There is no such thing as a racist, sexist or homophobic word, only a racist, sexist or homophobic message. Words that you say are as such are just the words that are most commonly used to convey such a message, but that is not always the case. Being offended by a word alone is irrational and letting irrational reactions dictate who should and should not be punished is not justice. It has nothing to do with oversensitivity, it has to do with irrationality.

Quote:
File a support ticket with Riot and ask them to stop me from reviewing tribunal cases on any account, because I will continue to click punish the instant I see discriminatory language, NO EXCEPTIONS. And you know what? The majority seems to agree with me because those people keep getting punished.
Your perception of the majority agreeing with you doesn't make you right(nor would the majority agreeing with you), nor does the fact that those people are getting punished necessarily indicate as such given that the most common use of those words is to be offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittu View Post
If i saw you in real life i'd probably punch you in the face as hard as i could.
Let us be glad that you have not knowingly seen them in real life, for such an action would only result in trouble for you and pain for them.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maitgai

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Jeah, stop discrimination against Harley riders!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyKBFCd_u4


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Burger Flipp3er

Member

12-07-2012

Since when did retarded become such a bad word? I swear we used that word to describe people before, and it wasn`t considered insulting... I went to school back in the early 90`s, and retarded was the word used to describe people with defects... It was the word used to describe them, and it was accepted... Wow, our people are getting way too sensitive... We can no longer call things what they are...

You can`t call a drunk driver a drunk driver, they`re just a temporary impaired driver.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

why šo serious

Senior Member

12-07-2012

you have angry issue, go see someone get pills lol


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

swan2swan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralael View Post
Agreed with OP.

I also insta punish death threats, suicide pressure and anything related to the fact that someone should uninstall the game.

The word Noob, when used more than 3 times is also a punish for me. Or if the only thing you've said in the game is noob, its a punish.

There's constructive ways to provide feedback to some player regarding the way they play, and saying ''YUR NOOB'' wont make a player better, neither does it enhance his gaming experience.
There are a lot of replies to this that make me happy; this is one of them.

The "3-strike" rule for "noob" actually seems really fair. I like it.

And always remember that the moment you say something like that--"noob", "uninstall", or anything SIMPLE--you're going to cause a few seconds of stress for the player. I don't have time to get into the full details of how you cause a meltdown, but picture screaming at someone to be careful when they're driving down a mountainside in the middle of a snowstorm. And just screaming it without warning. There's your analogy.