Want me to hit "Punish" on your case? Just say one of these words!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ed Khil

12-05-2012

Words are vehicles of ideas. They are representations, not the actual thing. It is perfectly possible to use an offensive word in a non-offensive way. It is also equally possible to be incredibly offensive without the use of an offensive word.

KimKelley

12-05-2012

Not sure that all of these should be autopunish. There's no excuse for using 1 or 2. However, I've pardoned people who's said things like "That's ret-arded" or "We raped mid".

I could wish that the latter terms were avoided to be sensitive to how someone who had been rap0ed or who had a sibling with mental disabilities might feel. However, I can see how these people are using the lexicon in a casual manner, not intended as hateful. The intention should be important to you when deciding cases.

Hathel Ithilidin

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan2swan View Post
You, yes, you right there, you, too can be punished! It's easy! All you have to do is guess these words correctly and use them in a game!

1. This six-letter word starts with "F", and it's sometimes abbreviated to a three-letter "f" word, and it is incredibly disrespectful to certain groups of people.

2. This word starts with "r", it is also six letters long, and it generally means to "slow down"; also, adding an "ed" turns it into an adjective that is supposed to be used to describe a slower rate of learning, but today's society has turned it into something much more offensive.

3. Also, there are a great variety of racist terms that people can use, many of which I'm not even familiar with, but one that everyone knows that begins with an "n". You want to be punished? Go ahead and spout those racist terms!

Wondering what these words are? Well, just guess correctly in one of the cases in the Tribunal, and you win a punish vote!

Oh, but we also have a bonus word today! Be very careful about using the word "raped" in your casual conversation--I have zero tolerance for people who take that issue lightly or try turning it into a joke. My intolerance and society's surprising tolerance of the term have probably resulted in me getting some cases "wrong," but I don't care. If you throw this word around loosely, I will hit "punish."

Here are some of today's lucky winners!

These lucky winners will be eligible for a great number of prizes--we've got the warning, the three-day ban, the one-week ban, and even the Grand Prize--the all-inclusive, lifelong PERMABAN!

All you have to do to earn one of these fantastic prizes is to keep using those words above in your games. And then you TOO can be banned!

TLDR: DON'T BE A JERK.
Grow the **** up

Hathel Ithilidin

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Khil View Post
Words are vehicles of ideas. They are representations, not the actual thing. It is perfectly possible to use an offensive word in a non-offensive way. It is also equally possible to be incredibly offensive without the use of an offensive word.
Finally someone with a brain!

Bergtau

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2012

I feel like you're overzealous in your punishes. It isn't your place to enforce your idea of political correctness on the world. The words you mention can be offensive to some people, but so can many other words, including the words 'lame', 'dumb', 'yellow' and many more that you wouldn't think twice about using.

The importance isn't the words, it is their context. If somebody is using it in a way that isn't meant to be offensive, you shouldn't hold that against them.

Sharajat

12-05-2012

Racist, homophobic, and sexist language is an instapunish. People know what they're doing when they pull those stunts. And if they don't, this is a very quick and relatively harmless way to learn. They have to grow up someday, a warning in LoL is a minor slap on the wrist.

The others, I look at the context. It can tip a borderline, but not punish by itself.

Bergtau

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharajat View Post
Racist, homophobic, and sexist language is an instapunish. People know what they're doing when they pull those stunts. And if they don't, this is a very quick and relatively harmless way to learn. They have to grow up someday, a warning in LoL is a minor slap on the wrist.

The others, I look at the context. It can tip a borderline, but not punish by itself.
Except there is no word that is used in a purely racist, homophobic or sexist way. You are looking only at the commonly used words rather than their context and usage. A word itself does not convey a message, it is the context of the word that gives it its meaning.

Aametherar

12-06-2012

-1. While I have an issue with people throwing the word "rape" around lightly as I think it could bring back memories for victims and is insensitive I don't project that onto the community by punishing for using the word in its proper context and don't believe anyone else should either.

4.an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

When used in its other context only then will I punish for that reason:

1.the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.

The fact is it's a commonly used word online yet is very often used in proper context with the top example rather than the bottom. I don't feel it's the tribunals job to enforce their politically correct views, sorry.

Haljegh

12-06-2012

I don't care about "colorful" language if it's being used in a playful non-harassing fashion.
Words only have power if you believe in them.

LiteSprite

12-06-2012

See now... This is why the Tribunal will never be perfect. Because it all comes down to personal preference and opinion. Is that a bad thing? Not really. Because for every person who is like this OP, a prude, there will be people who actually read the context of what someone is saying and make a judgement call.

An example would be...
"Naw man I need to take a break. I REALLY need to go smoke a Fa.g."

Would the OP instapusnish that? I don't know but there are people who would read that and go. Oh! he needs a Ciggerette.

On the other hand, that sentence could also mean that he wants to kill and gay person but MOST people wouldn't assume that as logic gets in the way of such a RETARDED notion.

See. I did it again, using a word that you would instapunish even though it's not in a context that would describe a person's mental status.

In closing, you can't just sit there and skim through chat logs looking to find you dirty list of words and then click punish. You actually need to USE YOUR BRAIN. Look at the context of what the person wrote. Was it in a mean and spiteful manner? Was is directed at someone to belittle or injure someone? Or was it in playful jest and just a harmless adj.?

So before you sit there and try to RAPE people of their accounts, use a little judgement before you do.

Oh and stop being such an Obtuse, Moronic, Pedant! No one likes to be Censored by a Prude.