First Warning From Tribunal, How To Improve Behavior?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Ferret

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2012

I am not saying ignore chat. I am saying dont type when you start getting mad.

GatorHatur

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljegh View Post
I received my first Warning from the Tribunal in my inbox a few weeks back, complete with a full Honor stripping from the account. I recall "raging" slightly more often in the weeks leading up to this warning (felt like every other game rather than 10%~). I reviewed the reform card myself and found at least one instance deserving of punishment, thus there is no need to post it publicly. I know that I am not always a nice and friendly player.

I realize this is a serious issue and wish to avoid further Punishments, but am unsure of how to do so. I no longer feel "safe" to express myself within a game for fear of punishment.

When players on my team make mistakes, I want to call them out for it and potentially guide them to improvement. Unfortunately, with limited attention/time resources, there isn't enough time to formulate a proper message during the game; typing out well-thought out message to the player is detrimental to my team's success as it would require my full attention during a game that requires constant input to succeed; this is not an option.

When someone AFKs, Leaves, or DCs, it makes me angry. All of the other players in a game must continue to play in a heavily unbalanced situation for the duration of an already ruined match and this is quite frustrating to me. When they come back into the game and have an attitude or feed, it does not help the situation.

I mostly play bot lane, the only lane where you're directly reliant on a teammate for your personal success for a majority of the game. I notice a lot of mistakes on my team's side throughout any given game, but lack the time to fully explain/discuss how the Summoner could play more properly.

If another player negatively provokes me, either by harassment, gloating, or by using other provoking methods, I am sure to respond negatively as well. If they continue harassment, I mute them but usually not until after I've said something punishable.

Yes, I use harsh language frequently and that isn't going to change any time soon; I'm an old man and there is a mature language filter for a reason. I realize this isn't an excuse for continuous harassment of other players with said language.

Since my warning, I don't even want to talk to my teammates. At this point, I feel like I'd be better off muting and ignoring my four teammates and their poor decisions in every single game rather than risk another warning or potential timeban; this seems like a pretty drastic reaction, and is definitely against the "spirit" of a co-operative game.

Do you guys have any suggestions that would help me avoid raging and/or criticizing my teammates? Could changing my preferred role to the barren wasteland of Top Lane (removing me from constantly having to rely on my Support/ADC) help? Is it ever going to be possible to feel free to express myself in-game again?

tl;dr - I ****ed up and don't want it to happen again. Please help me out, thanks for your time.
Im being dead serious when I say this. Use your magic words. Please and Thank you go along way. If you don't like the way someone did something just try and help them in a positive way. Instead of saying don't do that or don't feed. Just say lets stick close to the turret so we don't get snagged. Or hug the turret and ping for us to come and we will try our best. I know it seems like a lot to type but if you are dead you have time to type..

Another example is when my support alistart was headbutting in the right direction. I simply said. Do you think next time you could try head butting him towards me to make it a little easier, pls? He responded well. People innately never respond well to yelling and will normally shutdown (mentally and emotionally) to you, hurting team chemistry. I hope this little hint helps.

Bane1998

12-06-2012

If you are here wanting to be a better person, and not be in the tribunal again, then you are already ahead of the curve and I wouldn't expect to see a case about you again.

You win, sir.

Aametherar

12-06-2012

Honestly the only sure way to improve is to buy a gaming keypad, use pings for anything really important.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-06-2012

If the poor decisions of other players causes this much rage in you in your first game of the day, then I'd imagine League of Legends (or any online multiplayer game) isn't really for you. Games are supposed to be fun and relaxing, and if you get to the point of this amount of rage after just one game, then you're not doing it right.

However, if it's taking multiple consecutive games full of bad players making bad decisions to cause you to rage, then the solution seems pretty simple. If you get a couple games in a row that start pushing you toward the boiling point, then take a break. Whether for an hour, or for the rest of the day, find something else to do before you come back to League.

Go outside. Play another game. Play an offline game. Hang out with friends. Do some cleaning that you've needed to do. Take a shower. Have some dinner. Whatever. Just take a break and cool off a bit before you even think about queuing back up again.

Great Pyrenees

12-06-2012

Have you considered helping others? It seems from your post that you want to be a good team member but you have trouble in the heat of the moment. Dude play some beg bot games and help some new players out with strategy and advice. Make some new friends and you will get all 4 banners and your punishment level will quickly decrease. I play tons of beg bot games because people are kind in beg bots and they want to make friends. It will help you I am sure of it.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljegh View Post
Lately, I've been ignoring players as soon as they show signs of being aggressive or harassing towards me and that seems to have helped a bit.
All right. Now I've read more of the thread and understand the issue better.

So let's be clear, the play of other players tends to not get you upset. It's just the rage of other players in chat, directed at you, that will tend to cause you to rage and perhaps return the fire?

If this is the exact situation, then you might want to try a tactic that I adopted. The great part about my tactic for dealing with these folks is twofold. On the one hand, you may get them to calm down and you may actually learn something from them, and if you can get them to calm down, you may end up winning the match. On the other hand, if they're not going to calm down and they insist no raging, this tactic can get them to rage harder and it will result in you being able to easily report them (and when the case shows up in the Tribunal, it will be an easy punish).

So, here's what I do.

When a player on my team rages, I first ask them to calm down and remind them that it's just a game. Something like, "Hey, calm down Darius. It's just a game, remember?" Surprisingly enough, this alone can sometimes straighten people out. But some people are 2srs tryhards, and this comment will just enrage them further (even in normals).

So, if necessary, we go to phase two. Phase two involves asking people to be specific about their complaints and require them to offer constructive criticisms. Your teammates will often harass you with "noob" or "stop feeding" or "stop playing so bad." So, when they do this, ask them to be specific about what it is that you're doing wrong, and ask them to explain what it is that you can do better. Don't bother trying to explain yourself or defend your own actions. This just looks argumentative.

Ultimately, the rager isn't REALLY mad with you specifically. He's just mad in generally because his perception is that his team is going to lose. He wants to win. So outwardly express your belief that his assessment of your skill is correct, outwardly show a genuine interest in learning from what he has to say, and ask him for constructive tips.

Two things can happen from here, though in my experience, one is far more likely.

On very rare occasions, the rager will make a legitimate critique of your play and will offer a tip of something specific that you can do better. And here's the thing. In most cases, you can simply respond with "okay, I'll try that," (even if you know it's a terrible idea) and he'll calm down and the game will be back to normal. He probably won't pay attention to specifically what you're doing, as long as you start performing better.

Look, I've had ragers tell me that Trinity Force is a terrible item for Jax. I asked them to explain why, and they give some reason about AP being bad for Jax or something. I tell them okay, I'll build more AD. They calm down. I continue with my typical hybrid build, start to get better and better as the game goes on (as Jax inevitably does), and the rager doesn't harass me any more. Not because I built what he suggested, but because I agreed with him in chat with his assessment of my build (nevermind the fact that I proceeded to completely ignore it).

But anyways, what you'll most likely encounter when asking the rager for constructive criticism? Nothing but more raging. At this point, you've demonstrated to yourself, to your teammates, to the enemy team if it were in all chat, and to all the Tribunal voters who will eventually look at this case, that there's absolutely zero reasoning with this player. He's not offering constructive feedback to start with. And when the player he's harassing remains calm and asks for suggestions on how to improve, and the rager offers none, but continues to harass the player about how bad he's playing, it's a pretty easy punish vote for the Tribunal.

So, at least for me, it's pretty easy to stay calm and not get mad at this player in game because I know at the end of the game, I'll just report him, and the Tribunal will easily punish-vote him without giving it a second thought. Heck, probably without even looking at any other games.