Was League of Legends Downgraded?

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LegitKajit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Is it just me, or was LoL a lot funner before the S3 update?

I mean, they've added a lot of new items but they also nerfed pretty much every single old item... Not to mention they removed a lot of classic items.

EDIT: I do get that this new HUD and interface.... and pretty much everything will take a while to get used to, but i'm just wondering why so many items had to be nerfed? IT feels like most of the items have gotten at least a light nerf...I like how Riot is trying (and succeeded) to add variety of builds to the game, but couldn't they have done this without nerfing the majority of the old items?

Zileas

VP of Game Design

12-04-2012
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegitKajit View Post
Is it just me, or was LoL a lot funner before the S3 update?

I mean, they've added a lot of new items but they also nerfed pretty much every single old item... Not to mention they removed a lot of classic items.
Understandable. When you take on a lot of change, many players will find it a little bit confusing, frustrating, etc... Because you go from understanding everything, to feeling like you don't understand a ton.

I'd give it a few games. Go play an easy vs bots game and take your time browsing the shop. Fill out your favorite character. Build the right items. Try it in a practice game or another bot game. From there, you should be in good shape.

As you learn new ways to master the game, you'll start to feel great about the progress, and the new strategies you can enact. I found it pretty overwhelming the first few games as well, but really, we think the changes will be for the better pretty quickly for all players.

To be perfectly honest, our item system was not great before, and was causing a lot of more general issues. We think that this set of changes will set the game free of a lot of problems it has had in the past.

ArrowAce

12-04-2012

People dislike change, when change happens all the time. It's hard.

awwyaeh

12-04-2012

Top lane is much more fun now imo, but I find adc to be even more of a chore (esp with the new warden's mail...)

Hah

12-04-2012

stopped reading at "funner"

Spankin DaBagel

12-04-2012

I believe we all need to give this patch a few weeks before we make rash decisions about how good or bad it is. Allow new builds to develop and new strategies to be made.

Vuther

12-04-2012

Games are always more fun when you somewhat get them but overall have no ****ing idea what you're doing.

The figuring out's the best part, but it's a feeling that just can't be refreshed from the same game.

Noraver

12-04-2012

The only thing that bugs me is the UI.

Looking at an enemy's health (Or trying to Smite Dragon and Baron during an important fight) is literally impossible with how tiny it is. This definitely needs to be fixed. It's tiny, blurry, and ugly. Same with your champions experience bar/status menu.

I was a little iffy with the changes too, but it got better as I played more games. It won't be the same, but let's hope that they add new items every once in a while, instead of going for months without anything new. We're all just simply too used to the same old six items we'd always get.

PVRSE

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Understandable. When you take on a lot of change, many players will find it a little bit confusing, frustrating, etc... Because you go from understanding everything, to feeling like you don't understand a ton.

I'd give it a few games. Go play an easy vs bots game and take your time browsing the shop. Fill out your favorite character. Build the right items. Try it in a practice game or another bot game. From there, you should be in good shape.

As you learn new ways to master the game, you'll start to feel great about the progress, and the new strategies you can enact. I found it pretty overwhelming the first few games as well, but really, we think the changes will be for the better pretty quickly for all players.

To be perfectly honest, our item system was not great before, and was causing a lot of more general issues. We think that this set of changes will set the game free of a lot of problems it has had in the past.
I just really dont like the nerfs to a lot of these items. Some of the stuff is really really awesome, like the visual updates and the newer items, cannot stand some of these nerfs. Completely unnecessary to touch gunblade...

DONGLORD420

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

i kinda like the feeling of uncertainty that comes with a nearly complete game rework like the preseason changes. exciting and lots of room for theorycrafting.

blatantly broken stuff like new liandrys isnt as much fun though. surprised the thing made it through pbe as it is.

1234511 ... 12