Do you like these ideas?

Yes 20 46.51%
No 13 30.23%
I like Most 6 13.95%
I like part. 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on Elo/Ranked.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeoJT

12-07-2012

I have only read the first page of comments, but I mostly disagree with this method. I agree with Hiryato. This is a team game, and team games are about people playing with other people. You start matching people up based on numbers only, you're not going to solve the "trolling" problem at all. The one thing I do agree with is the honoring part. Report the ignorants, and honor the goodies. Riot needs to put more focus into that system, if they aren't already, and separate these two types of people into games with each other. The people with positive attitudes and who actually try to help teammates in whatever way should be put into games with each other. The people who do nothing but whine and complain should be put into their own games with each other so they can all whine and complain together. There's always going to be problems, but a method like this would potentially cut down on trollers in every bloody game.

adc

12-07-2012

I sort of like that idea for normal games, Deonus. But that wouldn't work in Ranked, because then you're not basing the matchmaking simply on your Elo, so Elo means nothing anymore. You'd have raging Xj9 playing with a 1ker, while Scarra gets teamed with a 1300 who is always nice.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
Elo rating is a measure of how good you are at winning matches.

Your system gives Elo weight to something other than winning matches, thereby making Elo less accurate.
Quote-bumping this page 1 post since the thread managed to continue for 5 pages in spite of it.

ElephantOnFireee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
Quote-bumping this page 1 post since the thread managed to continue for 5 pages in spite of it.
The point of rebumping this quote? There is a reason we didn't pay much attention to it, if you read back where you bumped it from.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacaroniPenguin View Post
The point of rebumping this quote? There is a reason we didn't pay much attention to it, if you read back where you bumped it from.
The only reason to ignore my post is because you either don't understand my post or don't understand Elo.

Chiivolution

12-08-2012

Even if the way ELO works changes, which in your way would be a good thing, it still won't change the fact that bad players get lucky and sometimes good players have bad days. Thing about ELO at the moment and the community is that no matter where you go at the moment; normal blind, normal draft, party normal, solo/duo ranked; you still have the players that feed and feed and feed. Its just how matchmaking is right now. Its unfair that I can have a +50 win rate drop to a +35 because i just lost 15 games in a row because of feeders that then make my score look horrid. Its not like when I started I'd win some, lose some. Now its, I lose 8, win 1, lose 8 more, win 1 more. Changing ELO can be a step in the right direction but they should fix matchmaking first in my honest opinion.

LogicalTautology

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacaroniPenguin View Post
I'm going to separate my post into individual steps so we can see where the difference of opinion is. Tell me the first statement that you disagree with.

1) Elo rating is designed to give a rough idea of player skill
2) Elo rating is not designed to be accurate over a small sample size
3) The goal of League of Legends is to win the game
4) If player A is a better player than player B, player A should have a higher Elo
5) If player A and player B both play some number of games at the same Elo level, and player A wins 51% of his games with an average KDA of 0/99/0 and player B wins 50.9% of his games with an average KDA of 99/0/99, then player A is a better player
6) Player A should have a higher Elo than Player B despite a much worse KDA, based solely on a higher winrate
7) Winrate should be the only thing that affects Elo, not KDA

CorsoKO

12-08-2012

I don't know if your solutions are the answers to the ELO problem. However, I do think that the ranking system does need to be altered.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalTautology View Post
I'm going to separate my post into individual steps so we can see where the difference of opinion is. Tell me the first statement that you disagree with.

1) Elo rating is designed to give a rough idea of player skill
2) Elo rating is not designed to be accurate over a small sample size
3) The goal of League of Legends is to win the game
4) If player A is a better player than player B, player A should have a higher Elo
5) If player A and player B both play some number of games at the same Elo level, and player A wins 51% of his games with an average KDA of 0/99/0 and player B wins 50.9% of his games with an average KDA of 99/0/99, then player A is a better player
6) Player A should have a higher Elo than Player B despite a much worse KDA, based solely on a higher winrate
7) Winrate should be the only thing that affects Elo, not KDA
Here's to hoping the OP replies to this post. I try to break my arguments down like this too. It rarely works. But this is much better than I've ever done.

My guess is that the op will disagree with the last 3 points.

Pontifex Mortis

12-08-2012

l