Supporting: Post Patch

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Noogums

Recruiter

12-04-2012

So I played several games today, getting a feel for the new support items and talents. I'm going to say straight up: I love this patch. Here are my thoughts:

1. Masteries: Full utility is now the only way to go, to be entirely honest. In S2 I often ran 14/0/16 or 0/14/16, just enough for wealth start and then no further. However, the utility tree now provides so much to supports. Level 1, you have a free 60 second ward. I use this ward as my invade-protect ward, leaving me with my two wards I purchased. Normally I run boots/2 wards on my start, so the Biscuit talent is amazing. Boots, 2 Sight Wards, 60s Explorer Ward, and the healing Biscuit at start is just amazing. Gold generation from pickpocket is going to encourage supports playing highly aggressive. I feel that this will hurt a lot of passive supports (Soraka/Janna) as it will now be a larger hassle to balance poke and your utility abilities. I've always preferred aggressive supports and have always played in that playstyle, so this suits me just fine.

2. Warding: Sightstone is my first item, everytime. Sightstone is an amazing item that is going to change the way jungling happens entirely. In the games I've played today, I've been able to keep far more thorough ward coverage at far less cost. Ganking is now incredibly difficult. Oracle's not lasting your lifespan only makes things worse. the only way to combat this in my mind is running TP/Smite in the jungle and brush ward ganking, assuming your 2 charges are used in your own Tri-Brush and River. When I get to the Ruby Sightstone, I start to have a beef with the Sightstone. It's still amazing, don't get me wrong. Allow me to explain. 5 Charges, 3 Wards at a Time. While roaming with my team, we all know ward coverage is crucial. Given the situation of already having 3 of your wards placed and 2 charges remaining, placing a new ward will replace the first of the 3 wards that you placed. Now, while this may just be myself being lazy and not necessarily used to it yet, if you've forgotten which of your current wards you've placed first, and don't have the time to check their timers, you may replace another crucial ward and leave another sort of fluff ward up. This is something that I'm sure will be remedied with time and more attention, but these are my initial thoughts.

3. Items/Builds: From what I have seen and played with, I'm also a huge fan of the new item build paths. It's easier and cheaper to get your base Philo components if you choose to build the early sustain/GP10, opening up new starting options. I'm a fan of the boots/2 wards start with the new free pot in the utility tree. Now, if you're more of a fan of running the classic Faerie Charm/3 Wards/3 Pots or 4 Wards/1 Pot paths, you now have the option of going Rejuv Bead instead of Faerie charm if you want the early sustain. With the addition of the Sightstone, I feel that starting with more than 2 wards may not be a good idea as you'll probably have your Sightstone before you use them all, if you manage some early assists/pickpocket gold. The new Aegis/Bulwark is totally legitimate and I love it's build path now. Emblem of Valor is such a strong early lane support item. I mainly play tanky supports (Taric, Leona, Nunu are my favorite 3), and I have the same build order on all of them really: Boots/2 Wards > Sightstone > Crystalline Flask > Ruby Sightstone > Merc Treads/Ninja Tabi > Emblem of Valor > Homeguard Boots > Aegis > Bulwark. From there I build into the team needs. With caster supports, probably insert Kage's into Shard of True Ice instead of Aegis. Regardless, the overall point is, we have the ability to build far more interesting and full builds than before.

4. Balancing: Obviously with a new patch, there are going to be things that needed balanced. Sightstone is probably going to get nerfed. I wouldn't be surprised to see the total charges dropped by two on both versions. It may or may not happen, that's just my feeling. Pickpocket is going to force a very aggressive support playstyle. All-in melee supports may fall slightly behind in gold compared to ranged supports, despite the gold difference on the talent itself. More item-dependent champions may poke their heads in as viable support options, and a few current oddball supports (Lux, Nidalee come to mind) will be far more prevalent. With more gold, even traditional supports are going to end up with higher stats than before. That being the case, with their usually high-scaling abilities due to lack of high damage stats, could potentially break several. Leona with a Shard of True Ice and WotA (2 normal aura items a support would build) could hit like a truck with her ult. Not that things like this don't happen now, but with more gold flowing in bot lane, it something that will definitely be seen more frequently.

I sort out my thoughts best through writing and wanted to establish what I picked up on from the changes today while playing support. If you don't agree with anything I stated, I would love to hear other perspective's on the changes to help each grow as we support our way through LoL. Not everything changed by today's patch will make it's way all the way to Season 3, more change is coming, but as the game currently stands, these are my opinions on supporting now.

To sum everything up:
-Far easier to protect your ADC from ganks
-Sustain for free with Crystaline Flask or far cheaper with base Philo items
-Cheaper individual item build paths allows faster incremental stat boosts
-Gold flow benefits aggressive supports, particularly ranged
-Stronger lvl 1 for supports than seen in S2
-Supports will have a much larger on the overall game outcome with more items
-Teemo with Liandry's Torment is OP

Thank you for reading this, if you have.

istiir

12-04-2012

Everyone who plays/mains support read this. It's long, but this guy has a LOT of good tips/information. I've sorted a lot of it out through playing games today too, but this is still very useful info in my opinion.

unsticky

12-05-2012

Yes, just yes. I for one accept our new support overlords.

Also, I should point out that I've had amazing success with the more aggressive supports since the patch. Champs like Lux or Morganna are actually feasible in the support role now that they can actually get some money.

flashb00y

12-05-2012

what do you think about Leona support's masteries? Should I still going full Utility tree?

Edit : and what about Blitz masteries?!
I've added you ingame!

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2012

My only disagreement is with the boots. They give half the value now, so as a support I would be kind of dubious about running them.

A crystalline Pouch can give you a ton of sustain instead with extra money to spare. Alternatively you could take beads instead and rush an early Philo Stone to start the GP 10 going.

Jeanschyso

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2012

With leona I found that getting the tower protection mastery in defense might be interesting..

I will try a couple pages this friday

so far I think running bead-charm first would be my way to go though

edit: after rethinking my stupid idea, I decided I'd just spend money on the faerie charm, 2 potions, and 1 ward. Then save the rest for an early sightstone

istiir

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashb00y View Post
what do you think about Leona support's masteries? Should I still going full Utility tree?

Edit : and what about Blitz masteries?!
I've added you ingame!
I personally don't play Leona (been meaning to pick her up), but I do play blitz sometimes. My masteries for all my supports, though are 0/4/26. It's only the runes I change up for different champs, and runes for blitz should be very easy to find. One thing I'd like to know is if his fists are charged with his E, does it still count as a basic attack and give you that 5 gold? When I pull a champ into my team I usually don't hit the target after the E because they melt so fast I might accidently take the kill.

Noogums

Recruiter

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
My only disagreement is with the boots. They give half the value now, so as a support I would be kind of dubious about running them.

A crystalline Pouch can give you a ton of sustain instead with extra money to spare. Alternatively you could take beads instead and rush an early Philo Stone to start the GP 10 going.
That's a really interesting point, with increased base move speed, starting Crystalline Flask could be a pretty sweet idea. I may toy around with it a bit today. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifancytacos View Post
I personally don't play Leona (been meaning to pick her up), but I do play blitz sometimes. My masteries for all my supports, though are 0/4/26. It's only the runes I change up for different champs, and runes for blitz should be very easy to find. One thing I'd like to know is if his fists are charged with his E, does it still count as a basic attack and give you that 5 gold? When I pull a champ into my team I usually don't hit the target after the E because they melt so fast I might accidently take the kill.
His E should still count for the Pickpocket gold, but his Q I do not believe would count towards this bonus, as it's a ranged ability on a melee champ. Similarly Taric's Dazzle, Leona's Xenith Blade, or Nunu's Snowball do not trigger Pickpocket because they are ranged abilities on a melee champion.

Footloop

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noogums View Post
His E should still count for the Pickpocket gold, but his Q I do not believe would count towards this bonus, as it's a ranged ability on a melee champ. Similarly Taric's Dazzle, Leona's Xenith Blade, or Nunu's Snowball do not trigger Pickpocket because they are ranged abilities on a melee champion.
It has nothing to do with melee/ranged, you only get the gold on a basic attack. I don't see why you wouldn't get it from Blitz's E, although I haven't tried it myself.

Elier

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noogums View Post
I feel that this will hurt a lot of passive supports (Soraka/Janna) as it will now be a larger hassle to balance poke and your utility abilities.
It all depends on your playstyle, when I play soraka, I throw a banana to the enemy adc's face every time they come to last hit and they can't hit me back because they would lose the minion